SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is battery corrosion still a concern for sights/scopes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is battery corrosion still a concern for sights/scopes? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I know old batteries used to leak and corrode in electronics sometimes ruining them. Is that a concern for newer batteries?

I have a couple of Aimpoint PRO optics and an illuminated scope. If I leave the sights turned off in my safe for a few years do I need to worry about the batteries leaking?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I know old batteries used to leak and corrode in electronics sometimes ruining them. Is that a concern for newer batteries?

I have a couple of Aimpoint PRO optics and an illuminated scope. If I leave the sights turned off in my safe for a few years do I need to worry about the batteries leaking?

I had a leaking battery ruin a red dot. Going forward I will only use high quality lithium batteries. The battery that leaked on me was an alkaline.

I don't worry about it on inexpensive red dots like a holosun. It's more important to me that the rifle be ready if I grab it.

I have a thermal scope that I wouldn't under any circumstances leave batteries in. It's a moot point with that optic though, because I started using an external battery pack for it that gives much much better life. That's not an option with red dots of course.

If I had an aimpoint on a home defense rifle, I would leave a lithium battery in, and leave it on, because of the excellent battery life of those red dots. THey are designed for it.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Lithium batteries don't leak like the older style of alkaline batteries do.

Many optics use battery types that are only available in lithium form. For example, the CR 1/3N batteries used by your Aimpoint PRO are only available in lithium.

For those that use more common household battery types (AA, etc.), there are lithium batteries for those types available as an alternative to the more common alkaline.

Just don't use alkaline batteries in your expensive electronics, and you'll be fine.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
If they're alkaline batteries: Then yes. Definitely.

I don't use alkaline batteries in anything anymore. Either NiMH rechargeable or lithium primary cells only.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Fantastic guys. Thank you.

One day I’ll find something this forum doesn’t know.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
As I've never used my Nightforce scopes in the gloom and don't expect to I just ditched the batteries into my car plippers at the Time - they were the same size.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I believe there are temp restrictions for lithium batteries. I know that living in Chicago and dealing with low temps restricts the use of lithium batteries. I can't use lithium throw away batteries in my outdoor landscaping lights as the Winter low temps destroy them.
I would not want to have lithium batteries installed in a expensive optic that went to a melt down mode.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I believe there are temp restrictions for lithium batteries. I know that living in Chicago and dealing with low temps restricts the use of lithium batteries. I can't use lithium throw away batteries in my outdoor landscaping lights as the Winter low temps destroy them.
I would not want to have lithium batteries installed in a expensive optic that went to a melt down mode.

If one does some research, the general consensus is that lithium batteries are better than alkaline at low temperatures. One source indicated that lithium batteries don't last long at very low temps, but, they provide better performance over alkaline batteries. I only use lithium in my night vision gear and my weapon optics. Too much to chance using alkaline.

If you do choose alkaline, do NOT choose Duracell brand alkaline.

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Way, way back when lithium batteries were first becoming available, the backpacking magazines were advising about how they were much better for low temperature conditions than the others that were in common use at the time. During one session I was teaching a trainee’s EOTech sight with alkaline batteries died after about 15 minutes in 10° temperatures; he switched to lithiums and everything was fine thereafter. I pretty much use lithium batteries for everything now that’s the least bit important.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just make sure dont have copper tops in them! I have thrown away several maglights that were ruined because of them.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
Just make sure dont have copper tops in them! I have thrown away several maglights that were ruined because of them.

That's because of the type of battery (alkaline), not the brand (Duracell). Every brand of alkaline batteries will leak.

Lithium batteries don't leak, and you can get "copper top" Duracell batteries that are lithium instead of alkaline:

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember zinc-carbon batteries?
I had to look them up because I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen them, but I do remember that they leak as well. Oddly, though, I haven’t seen lithium Duracell batteries either, and didn’t know they existed.

And I’ve long wondered why there were no lithium batteries in C and D size. Is it because those sizes have become much less commonly used? How many people still rely on flashlights or other devices that require them?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And I’ve long wondered why there were no lithium batteries in C and D size. Is it because those sizes have become much less commonly used? How many people still rely on flashlights or other devices that require them?

A combination of the decline in electronics that use C/D cell batteries due to the switchover to more modern high output battery designs like CR123 and 18650, plus the high cost that is involved for these large lithium batteries.

Some people still balk at paying $1-$2 for one lithium AA. Just about anyone would balk at paying $25-$40 for a single lithium D cell. (Yes, they're actually that pricey: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/lithium/d)

However, if you want a less expensive means to use lithium batteries in your C/D cell electronics, there are adapters out there that convert 1-3 AA batteries into a C or D battery size.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
plus the high cost that is involved for these large lithium batteries.

Wow! Thanks for all that.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I just had alkalines ruin an EOTech.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The 2032 cells so common in riflescopes these days, and the little cells that go in Aimpoints and the like- I've never seen a leak from either of these.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The 2032 cells so common in riflescopes these days, and the little cells that go in Aimpoints and the like- I've never seen a leak from either of these.

That's because CR2032 batteries, as used in the Aimpoint Micros and other scopes, are typically lithium. As are the CR1/3N batteries used in most other Aimpoints, and the CR2 and CR123A batteries used in many other red dot optics.

quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I just had alkalines ruin an EOTech.

Man, that sucks. If it's one of the major players (Energizer/Duracell), you might contact their customer service. I've heard that they will sometimes replace stuff that gets ruined by leaking batteries.

Then stock up on lithium batteries.

posted Hide Post
Had a lithium Energizer leak in my Eotech 512. I was shocked as they are not suppose to leak. Fortunately the Eotech company sells the piece I needed to replace for like $18 and the 512 sight works fine now. I'll be using Panasonic eneloop rechargeables now as I'm pretty much fully converted over and as I have not had one leak - ever.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post