SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestion 553 optic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion 553 optic Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have an opinion on what optic would work best?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
Anyone have an opinion on what optic would work best?

Simple red dot I'd say.
You could go cheaper or more like an Aimpoint.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As with any "best" optic solicitation, it depends on your use case, and what you like. Height and levers are factors impacted by that host. Both are still arguably personal preference, but you'll likely want it low(ish) and with no levers or knobs on the ejection port side

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Diopter or railed version? If diopter, leave it alone and shoot as the Swiss intended. If railed, an Aimpoint Micro on low mount cowitnesses on the flip down front and is excellent. Lots of less expensive versions (PA for example) but there's an Aimpoint TL from B&T for like $549 that's on a QD mount.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Diopter or railed version? If diopter, leave it alone and shoot as the Swiss intended. If railed, an Aimpoint Micro on low mount cowitnesses on the flip down front and is excellent. Lots of less expensive versions (PA for example) but there's an Aimpoint TL from B&T for like $549 that's on a QD mount.

I love this place. I love that B/T set up. Anyone know where it might be in stock?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Here you go. Free shipping, no tax.

Keep in mind....it's basically an H1 not a T2, so, no IR mode. 4 MOA vs. 2 MOA as well, if you care. For a short barrel rifle at 100M or less, not sure a 2 MOA matters.
https://tarheelstatefirearms.c...7_123&product_id=543

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sold.

Much appreciated.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I tried a Steiner red dot but found my eyes needed more help shooting targets out to 100 yards. It was fine for 6” groups, the problem was my eyes as the 553 is capable of much better so I ended up going with a 1-4x25 Leupold.
The Steiner ended up on my Nelson Custom 22 pistol and I can shoot itty-bitty groups with it out to 25 yards, just like I could 25 years ago.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I like my Aimpoint pro. They look like they belong on the Sig 553.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great set up and case.

What mount and sling are those?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
Great set up and case.

What mount and sling are those?

The sling is a kastinger 476 sling from PGM precision. The mount is some pos I found on Amazon IIRC?

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint T1 on mine with a B&T mount.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post