SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone ever made a tube feed/loading arrangement for Marlin 1894s?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever made a tube feed/loading arrangement for Marlin 1894s? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Like on a Henry?
I can’t say over seen them on a lever action, center fire Marlin

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any kind of speedloader for the side gate loading rifle, but have seen them for the gravity load tube systems like the Marlin 60.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not referring to a speed loader for the side gate, per se.

I'm talking about a replacement aftermarket magazine tube that would allow the rifle to be loaded like, as you mentioned, the Marlin Model 60.
Basically turning one's existing Marlin lever action rifle into something akin to Henry's new side gate loading rifles.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Seems like a handful, to add the tube to a Marlin. Traditionalist already don’t like the tube, common complaint, ‘to slow to reload’.

I have a more modern Henry, 45-70, with the tube, no side gate. I think we could grouse on that cross bolt safety with the newer Marlins too.

A machinist could go about anything, with the cost. It seems more with the tube want the side gate, than the other way, I know you said you’d take both.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

I'm talking about a replacement aftermarket magazine tube that would allow the rifle to be loaded like, as you mentioned, the Marlin Model 60.
Basically turning one's existing Marlin lever action rifle into something akin to Henry's new side gate loading rifles.

Gotcha.
I want to say someone makes a lever rifle with both the side gate & tube load. But can't remember who.

Seems like a relatively easy thing to swap, if you could find the right tube & removable insert.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Gotcha.
I want to say someone makes a lever rifle with both the side gate & tube load. But can't remember who.

Seems like a relatively easy thing to swap, if you could find the right tube & removable insert.

Yes, the new "Side Gate" Henry rifles have both a side gate port and retain the gravity/tube loading capability.
I was just trying to NOT buy a new rifle. (wait, what!?) Smile

posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that the Marlin 1894s made in .32 H&R Magnum used the tube loading setup.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You're probably going to have to buy a Henry, or have somebody customize a Marlin mag tube. The 39 uses a tube-load system, but it's obviously not centerfire.

It's a little funny to me that Henry caught flack for years about their tube-load system...so much so that they finally added a loading gate to the receiver....and now you're wanting to go the other way with a Marlin. Big Grin

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You're probably going to have to buy a Henry, or have somebody customize a Marlin mag tube. The 39 uses a tube-load system, but it's obviously not centerfire.

It's a little funny to me that Henry caught flack for years about their tube-load system...so much so that they finally added a loading gate to the receiver....and now you're wanting to go the other way with a Marlin. Big Grin

Ha! Yeah, never satisfied, are we?Wink
I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both systems. I really think Henry has the potential of a home run by incorporating both into one rifle. And their take on the enlarged lever is, IMO, more of a Goldilocks situation. The Marlin has always felt a bit too big to me, and the normal lever a bit small.
And Henry’s X model line up has me seriously Considering one.
An X model in 357 checks nearly all the boxes for I believe.
Both loading systems
Synthetic stock and forearm
“Medium” sized loop
Threaded barrel
Even some rail space
I would prefer stainless, but...

I have just been a Marlin fan for SO many years. Also, I still want to see what Ruger does with the Marlin brand.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
When asking about a lever most suggest an older Marlin. Just a quick look shows entry at $1200 on up, then you may have unknowns to deal with. I have little need for the safety on newer Marlins, like a safety on a D/A revolver.

This is my 1st Henry rifle, 18.5” barrel, still not cheap in the $850 area. The other lever we have is a 50’s Model 94 in 32 Win.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
When asking about a lever most suggest an older Marlin. Just a quick look shows entry at $1200 on up, then you may have unknowns to deal with. I have little need for the safety on newer Marlins, like a safety on a D/A revolver.

This is my 1st Henry rifle, 18.5” barrel, still not cheap in the $850 area. The other lever we have is a 50’s Model 94 in 32 Win.

I have one JM stamped 1894CSS, and a new 1894CST (threaded barrel).
357 is quite pleasant to shoot suppressed.