SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    WTF do I have here? M1 Carbine Related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF do I have here? M1 Carbine Related Login/Join 
posted
I took on a project for a friend to put a new stock on an M1 Carbine, but upon field stripping beyond taking the barreled action out of the stock I discovered a piece that has a broken weld forward of the op rods. In looking at photos on the internet, it looks as if the M1 carbine only has a single op rod and it looks like the whole thing is jimmy rigged. Can you help me? Is this thing jimmy rigged and unsafe to fire?
6F6E4281-683A-4C26-A355-4B6DD10AE0EB by David Gosiewski, on Flickr

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me guess, it is made by Universal?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M1Guy,
Yes, it is a Universal. I assume that is bad...

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the worst.....

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I have no personal experience with the late two spring Universal Carbines, I can't recall ever reading anything positive about them.

The part welded to the barrel in front of the operating rod is the gas cylinder. Is that what is cracked? The welding on the slide doesn't look real hot either. The late Universal slides themselves are known to crack around the window the right bolt lug rides in.

About 5 pages of info on Universals here, including pictures of a failed gas cylinder: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that’s bad news...the gas cylinder is completely broken off from the barrel. Didn’t notice it until I went to remove the op rods and the thing jos fell off the barrel. I guess this will be a show piece only...

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yup. Universal. It's trash.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The early Universal were more GI like and not bad guns. They changed the design some with later guns, things like the dual recoil springs, and the quality went to the dogs.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
The early Universal were more GI like and not bad guns. They changed the design some with later guns, things like the dual recoil springs, and the quality went to the dogs.

I had an early Universal. It was a fairly good carbine. It was reliable and fairly accurate. I sold it to fund a real M1 carbine, I don't have that one either. I sure wish I never sold that one. A month after I sold it the price of a real M1 carbine skyrocketed!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have a first year Universal, and it is very reliable. The only parts that look different than GI parts are the trigger guard and stock, and the Reciever, which is identical to my Winchester’s, Rock-Olas and Inland, but stamped Universal. I kept it because it functions well.

I owned a later Universal, and can only recommend it as a fence post. I would give it back and tell the owner that even when rebuilt, they are not worth the cost of repair, IF you can find parts. Perhaps he can trade it in on a Ruger 10/22 or something. No kidding, total garbage.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post