SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .357 lever action/revolver advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 lever action/revolver advice Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I have fallen into the .45 Colt 1873 repro rabbit hole. There may be no recovery.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I have fallen into the .45 Colt 1873 repro rabbit hole. There may be no recovery.

Oh man, I've been wanting one of those for years. I can't believe the prices they are asking, but I've heard they have incredibly slick actions. We need a range report when you get it!

quote:
My wife’s Rossi is a cheap way to own a single-shot plinker. We don’t even bother trying to load the mag tube, anymore.

Thanks, that's the kind of specific feedback I was looking for. It's too bad, but I guess to be expected for anything Taurus has a hand in.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm starting small with revolvers, not the rifles......yet.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the .45 Colt. I have a Blackhawk convertible and an 1894 chambered in the cartridge, and they are both excellent shooters and very accurate. I like the wide bullet cross-section, and typical modern loads deliver a decent punch without the blast and extreme recoil of the .44 mag. With the Ruger, I can juice up my loads to rival the .44 if I want to.

Sharing bore diameter with .45 ACP is also a pretty nice attribute of the cartridge. The ACP shoots great out of my Blackhawk, ejects empties even better than the longer .45 Colt cases, and it's cheaper to shoot factory ammo and easier to come by brass for reloads.

The only problem I have with .45 Colt is that there's very little support for it in modern DA revolver offerings, especially if you want one to carry. Smith made the 25/625 Mountain Gun, and there are short-barreled model 25s out there, but they're not made anymore, are very difficult to find, and prohibitively expensive when you do. I had to buy a .44 mag to use as a backpacking gun, because nobody makes what I want in .45 Colt.

My dream gun would be a scandium-framed 2 3/4" or 3" barreled 5 shot L-Frame with a steel cylinder chambered in .45 Colt and cut for moon clips so you could also shoot ACP out of it. Basically a scandium Model 69 chambered in .45. IMO that would make the perfect lightweight trail gun with plenty of punch for critters, but also capable of being loaded with ACP rounds for carry to and from your hiking destination. I don't like leaving a gun in the car at the trailhead while I'm off hiking for days at a time, so whatever I pack in has to do double-duty as a CCW piece on the trip there.

Yeah, I know I can load a .44 special, but .452 > .429, and .45 ACP is much cheaper and available in better defensive loadings. Ruger does make a 4" Redhawk in this configuration, but it's even heavier than my Blackhawk.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Based on my experience with the Rossi I would suggest you look at getting a Henry. I've heard nothing bad about the Henry rifles and now that they are finally using a King's gate on some models you don't have to sweep yourself when loading.

I'd be curious to hear your experience with the Rossi lever guns. I've been tempted to get one lately, even though I know it's basically a Taurus, and I've sworn those off. I've just been having a hard time finding anything remotely affordable, and that Rossi trapper with the 16" barrel keeps looking more and more appealing. But if there are function issues, I'd just as soon not deal with that.

My Rossi functions fine, the problem is trying to hit something with it. Seriously, 6 to 8 inch groups at 100 yards when using a 4X scope, that is unacceptable. Someday when I have the ambition and time to do it I may try experimenting with barrel weights to get better accuracy but right now it's a closet queen. I have a S&W 2 1/2 inch Model 19 that is more accurate than that Rossi at 100 yards.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ouch. Yeah, that's not acceptable at all. Guess I'm crossing Rossi off the list of potential options for a .44 Carbine. Too bad, too, because I really like the 16" barrel on the trapper model

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I know it's not a comparable price, but Taylor & Co have a nice 16" 1892

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Yeah, that price is kinda hateful. Looks like a nice rifle, though. I may have a line on a nice little Marlin 16" in .44. I have a friend with one who said he might be selling it at some point...I told him to call me first when he's ready. Don't think he's quite there yet, though, and I can't blame him.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Yeah, that price is kinda hateful. Looks like a nice rifle, though. I may have a line on a nice little Marlin 16" in .44. I have a friend with one who said he might be selling it at some point...I told him to call me first when he's ready. Don't think he's quite there yet, though, and I can't blame him.

Buy a Rossi and trade him Big Grin

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You missed the part where I said he's a friend. I'd like it to stay like that! Eek Razz

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
357 wise,

everyone should have a 686, period,

however to keep in a theme, of sorts, a SAA clone and a 92 clone would work well together,

for the 92 clones, or similar lever gun, look for a Browning 92
miroku made, basically a copy of the Winchester 92,
Browning released (well, actually FN, using the
Browning name) all the classic Winchesters about ~15-20 years ago,

they are great rifles/carbines.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I would take a hard look at the side loading Henry blue steel receiver for the rifle (the brass receivers look nice…but they are not for me…just my opinion)…for the revolver I love my Ruger Blackhawks (preferred model is the Bisley frame in Stainless Steel…the Blackhawks in SS have the steel grip frame and ejector rod housing instead of aluminum like the blued models which is really not an issue at all…just a preference) Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I currently own a Winchester 1873 .357 mag, rifle is amazing. I would let you shoot her if you were local.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, today I just tested the waters. Came home with a Taylors & Co. pistol, a 5.5" Cattleman. It's like a fidget spinner for adults!

Next will be a holster, then the rifle.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got an Uberti 1873 in 38/357 case hardened and octagon barrel. super slick action and gorgeous. check them out

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, today I just tested the waters. Came home with a Taylors & Co. pistol, a 5.5" Cattleman. It's like a fidget spinner for adults!

btw Allen, I use to live in S Charleston, worked at the USPS plant up at Southridge

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

So is the new revolver a .357 or a .45?

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Sorry, .45 Colt

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like you visited the gun store in Hurricane.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I can neither confirm nor deny that. Big Grin