SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 1895 Thread (13 Nov. new pics on pg. 3)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 1895 Thread (13 Nov. new pics on pg. 3) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m very jealous!

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

I'd love to have one in .30-06 or 7.62x54R, but I'm not willing to pay the high prices they're going for these days.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for providing the additional pictures! I have never seen one or pictures with the action open. Interesting!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score. Congrats.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very slick. Congratulations!

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy those the 1895's have been a grail gun for me! VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Looks drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight. Shootable history!

It’s drilled and tapped for a Redfield receiver sight.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I've never seen one with the action open either, that's quite a sight. Enjoy that rifle, KP.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Beautiful. I've never seen one with the action open either, that's quite a sight. Enjoy that rifle, KP.

John Moses Browning was a genius and had a penchant for thinking outside the box (especially with parts of the action dropping out of the bottom of the receiver Cool Cool Cool)… I’ve always thought the Model 95 was fantastic rifle…back in the 1970s there used to be a gun shop in the Chamblee GA area called “The Outrider” that specialized in vintage Winchesters and going through store you walked down aisles of 95s in every caliber. I almost bought one chambered in .303 British and I regret not buying it to this day Frown …if I remember correctly the price was well under $300).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

John Moses Browning was a genius and had a penchant for thinking outside the box (especially with parts of the action dropping out of the bottom of the receiver Cool Cool Cool)… I’ve always thought the Model 95 was fantastic rifle…back in the 1970s there used to be a gun shop in the Chamblee GA area called “The Outrider” that specialized in vintage Winchesters and going through store you walked down aisles of 95s in every caliber. I almost bought one chambered in .303 British and I regret not buying it to this day Frown …if I remember correctly the price was well under $300).

A .303 would be one I’d consider. I’d love to browse a store like The Outrider.

Heads up: I have a another one on the way to me now, a deluxe sporting rifle with Lyman receiver sight.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
It's neat to see all the complex machining. Long before CNC machining centers. The average Union wage in that general location (CT) in 1921 was about $1 per hour.
Real steel and real wood!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Just picked up another Winchester Model 95. SN# 417,xxx range, made in 1923. Needs a little cleaning, about 80% blue remaining. Lyman receiver sight. More pics soon.

Thanks,
KPSquared

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just picked up another Winchester Model 95. SN# 417,xxx range, made in 1923. Needs a little cleaning, about 80% blue remaining. Lyman receiver sight. More pics soon.

That rifle has some good stories!

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Nice snag! I have a 1908 manufactured version in 30 Gov (.30-40 Krag). I got it a couple of years ago from the son of the original owner.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
FYI, A bunch of 95's newly listed at Collectors Firearms?

Including a 30-03 caliber.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
FYI, A bunch of 95's newly listed at Collectors Firearms?

Including a 30-03 caliber.

HK Ag

Some of those are pretty nice.
You can shoot 30-06 in a 30-03 rifle, but bore wear is accelerated.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Started the detail strip one of the 1895s.
Reason the lever isn’t out is because the pin attaching it to the bolt isn’t moving. Put some oil in there and hope it will penetrate.

The two pics of the trigger area show the mainspring on top then the sear spring.

The forearm is routed for an earlier magazine spring that isn’t used for this particular rifle and went out of service quite a few years before.

I’ll post more pics as I clean the parts. I hope the lever/bolt pin loosens up so I can get that apart and detail clean that. Lots of gunk in it. Otherwise it will be a lot of spray cleaning into the crevices of the bolt. The ejector spring is packed with gunk, but it’s exposed so I can get to that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KPSquared,

Thanks,
KPSquared

posted Hide Post
You took it apart? Kudos. And undoubtedly the first person to do so since it left the plant.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
You took it apart? Kudos. And undoubtedly the first person to do so since it left the plant.

Did not attempt until I did my research. There was a good YouTube video of someone doing his and I have a nice book on the 1895 also.

Thanks,
KPSquared