SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 1895 Thread (13 Nov. new pics on pg. 3)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 1895 Thread (13 Nov. new pics on pg. 3) Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Speaking of research, would be interesting to get some history if possible on those.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Speaking of research, would be interesting to get some history if possible on those.

Right now I know one left the Winchester polishing room in 1921 and the other in 1923.

I’m gonna do some further research on their history.

More to follow in this too.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like you put a bit of work into that rifle. Hats off to you for bringing a classic back to life.

As for that medieval torture device butt plat I have some experience with that particular device. In my case it's on a 1906 vintage 1892 a previous owner sent to Winchester for a re-finish and re-barrel in 357 Magnum. Even with a puny little 357 Magnum those things hurt. One thing that still stuns me a bit is how freaking accurate this rifle is. With a range master acting as my spotter I've put multiple sub 1 MOA 5 round groups together. Thats not too bad for a stubby little pistol bullet with the ballistics of a Mack Truck.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Great job. The elaborate photos are interesting and appreciated. Those sights are really something.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
It looks like you put a bit of work into that rifle. Hats off to you for bringing a classic back to life.

As for that medieval torture device butt plat I have some experience with that particular device. In my case it's on a 1906 vintage 1892 a previous owner sent to Winchester for a re-finish and re-barrel in 357 Magnum. Even with a puny little 357 Magnum those things hurt. One thing that still stuns me a bit is how freaking accurate this rifle is. With a range master acting as my spotter I've put multiple sub 1 MOA 5 round groups together. Thats not too bad for a stubby little pistol bullet with the ballistics of a Mack Truck.

That’s quite a lovely 1892. Love the wood on it!
Nice octagon barrel too. Winchester usually put the year of barrel manufacture on the barrel under the hand guard. On mine you can see the number 23, the year of barrel manufacture. If so stamped you may get an approximate year the ‘92 was rebarrelled.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Great job. The elaborate photos are interesting and appreciated. Those sights are really something.

The rear sight is a Lyman model 21 receiver sight. The front, I believe, is a Marbel-Sheard gold. I believe a previous owner milled down the sight to make it flush with the dovetail eliminating the lettering that would positively identify the sight. The pictures I’ve seen of intact sights have quite a bit of material outside the dovetail.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Some bolt pictures. I couldn’t budge the extractor pin with the punches I had, but put a spare in the disassembled picture. The small parts in the lower right of the first pic are the firing pin safety. See it assembled in the second pic on the right side of the assembled bolt.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post

Thanks,
KPSquared