SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have a way of finding the date of manufacturing for a Japanese Arisaka Type 38 rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a way of finding the date of manufacturing for a Japanese Arisaka Type 38 rifle Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I just picked up a Japanese Arisaka Type 38 rifle. I have found where it was made, the series number and the type however I cant find a resource as to how to date the rifle based on the serial number.
Does anyone have any information on how to find the date?

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
See if you can track down an August, 2022 issue of Shooting Times magazine. There is a very good article about the Arisaka on page 20.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Did you try this page?

https://oldmilitarymarkings.co...panese_markings.html

Can you post markings you found?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Did you try this page?

https://oldmilitarymarkings.co...panese_markings.html

Can you post markings you found?

Tony.

Thank you for the info. I did find this page and it was very helpful.

Unfortunately I have never been able to figure out how to post pictures, however this is what I have found out so far.

It is a type 38 based on the marking on the top of the receiver.
There is a makers mark on the right side of the serial number that makes it manufactures at the Kokura Arsenal.
There is a stamp on the left side of the serial number that makes it a series 25 possibly manufactured between 1933 and 1940. It also mentions it is a model 1905?
The serial number range on the web site is between 0-99,999 but on the chart it does not give any info on the date.
I have looked at several websites and the one you mentioned has been the most help.
Of the other web sites I have looked at none have mentioned anything about how to date the rifle based on the serial number.
I was thinking there might be some way of dating it like you can date the M1 Garand by serial number.
It is quite possible there might not be a way of finding out the exact manufacturing date.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Kokura arsenal was closed after WW2 and eventually demolished, so serial number records have most likely been destroyed.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
The Kokura arsenal was closed after WW2 and eventually demolished, so serial number records have most likely been destroyed.

Tony.

Thanks that was what I was thinking also.

My serial number in less than 10,000 so I was thinking some time in the early to mid 30s.
It's a nice rifle. It is in really great shape considering how old it is. At first myself and my friend thought it might have been refinished however after looking closer it does not appear to be.
At any rate now the hard part, finding reasonably priced ammo to test fire it. I will have to check with my friend who used to own a gun shop to see if he has any 6.5 left.

Thanks for all your help
Joe

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Word of caution if you are looking to do any work on the stock: The Arisaka stock was finished with a toxic material so be careful working on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Word of caution if you are looking to do any work on the stock: The Arisaka stock was finished with a toxic material so be careful working on it.

Thanks.
Do you know what that finish is and how do I tell if my stock has it?
I would also think is should be safe to handle if not re finishing it.

NRA Life Member

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Here's a Good place to start.

https://www.gunboards.com/thre...ish-question.317748/

The "toxic" material is urushiol, which is what makes poison ivy so miserable. Urishi polymerizes, and should be okay to handle. Just be careful if you decide to start sanding on it.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the help and information.
The stock is in great shape so I probably won't be refashioning it.

NRA Life Member