SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optimum Cantilever Scope Mount AR Platform?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optimum Cantilever Scope Mount AR Platform? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
To mount a Vortex 1-8 x 24 with 30mm tube, there are several brands and designs. What do you prefer?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If QD and return-to-zero are desirable characteristics, it seems Bobro is the way to go. Otherwise, there are a lot of options.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For an Eotech Vudu I was looking at the scalarworks LEAP. Pretty slick and the lightest out there.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
American defense manufacturing

Ive stopped buying QD also. The likelihood I’ll ever need to use it doesn’t outweigh a more solid mounting setup.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have ended up with multiple ScalarWorks stuff. T1 mounts and Aimpoint Pro mount. They are really nice, kind of pricey. I don't have one of their scope mounts but based on the 3 mounts I have they would be worth a look.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
I went with LaRue

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few of these bobro, larue, adm, MI, geissle. I think the geissle is the best of them if that helps. And I've stopped with the qd idea fwiw.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Spuhr stuff is swell, but pricey.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I built my match rifle I went with a Bobro QD mount. I did that more for storage than for the ability to swap optics - a higher power scope takes up a lot of space in the safe, that I'd rather use for other rifles. It comes pretty darn close to zero when I remove and remount it, but not exactly. For me that's not a real issue because the types of matches I shoot always allow sighting shots, so even if I'm starting at 300 or 600 yards the first shot is going to be close enough to the previous zero to be in the black (bullseye type targets) and I can adjust from there. For applications with a smaller target size or no sighters, I would go with a fixed mount and live with the safe space requirement. Any of the brands that others have already mentioned will work fine.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It comes pretty darn close to zero when I remove and remount it, but not exactly.
What sort of shifts did you typically see? I had narrowed down a Bobro as my next mount purchase, based on comments here and research on the web, and I am wanting the RTZ performance. Did you see shifts of more than .5 MOA?

Posts: 2160 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
It comes pretty darn close to zero when I remove and remount it, but not exactly.
What sort of shifts did you typically see? I had narrowed down a Bobro as my next mount purchase, based on comments here and research on the web, and I am wanting the RTZ performance. Did you see shifts of more than .5 MOA?

Sometimes, yes. Other times, no shift at all. I imagine it has to do with either the position of the crossbars in the picatinny slots, or the tension applied by the clamps. The latter can vary depending on either the adjusting screws or the amount of pressure applied to the clamp by your thumb when you mount it. It's also entirely possible that I'm sometimes less diligent about positioning the mount's crossbars fore and aft in the slots than I could be.

To answer your question, IIRC the largest shift I've seen has been about 1 MOA. MOST of the time it's a half minute or less, but once in a while it's bigger than that. And there's no way to predict what it will be. Typically it's more of a change in windage than in elevation.

I suppose one option might be to essentially glass bed the mount into the rail (naturally using release agent to make sure you can take it off again), to prevent a physical shift there from affecting the return to zero.

FWIW, lately I've taken to just leaving the scope mounted all the time, in or out of the safe. I did find that putting the rifle in the safe muzzle down instead of muzzle up, made it a better fit.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I decided to upgrade my Service Rifle/High Power rifle this year,
reason? I shot for 10-12 yrs then basically had to give it up due to work,
now that I am self employed, I have a more flexible schedule, and can get some matches in,

so I bought a new White Oak upper, with their extended rail and scope,

as a previous Iron Sight shooter (A2) who is having age related sight problems, and since scopes are the shiznit in SR/HP, it seemed the to be the right thing to do, and with the extension rail, I can still put my nose on the Charging Handle like I am accustomed to and see thru the scope like I should,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one-piece mounts by Nightforce, JP, Warne, GG&G, LaRue. These are in order of my favorites -- with Nightforce the best. I have both QD and non-QD. I find QD over rated.

Other brands that I've seen in use include Vortex, Burris, Leupold, ADM, Badger, Hawkins, and Spur.

They all seem to work. I like Nightforce because rifles/scopes have taken a lot of abuse and they maintain zero.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the help.

Will avoid QD. Will try to match mount cost to scope cost, and stay below $200.

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I primarily use American Defense as they have the best selection of sizes and are the best value.
Also use Bobro but they can be a bit more expensive.
Never cared for Larue mounts.
Also never had ANY issue with returning to zero on any of them.
Primarily use only on AR's, not on Bolt Actions.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
How does one decide on the correct offset? I see both two and three inches.

-------

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Mine are from 1.4" to 2" offset.
Used with LPVO's and such on my AR's, puts the eye piece over the charging handle with room for a backup rear sight.
A 2" offset will be plenty for what you have.

The centerline to rail height height can be different between mounts if that matters to you.
Some have a 1.4" centerline, same as the iron sights.
Most seem to have settled on 1.5" tall.

My lowest one in use is 1.6" and will be getting swapped out for a 1.93" tall one like the rest of my mounts one of these days.
I started with a 1.4" tall one and that was way to low for me.
I got a YHM .5" riser and that was the sweet spot for me so I just started getting 1.93" tall mounts.
My Romeo5 uses a 1.80" centerline mount.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you for enlightening me about optic height. I had not considered height at all, but was asking about the muzzle to buttstock offset. Most mounts are two inches, some are three.

Height of existing red dot Trijicon https://www.trijicon.com/disco...ucts/details/rx01nsn is approximately 1.625 inches, and I must lower my head on the stock to see the dot centered in the lens.

A taller scope mount would likely help.

-------

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
As long as it's not a scout type mount just about any offset will work.

1.6" CL and a 2" offset.

1.93" CL with a 1.4" offset.

1.93" CL with a 1.750" offset

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the informative images

-------