SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    so I have my grandfathers French St.Etienne manufactured
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

so I have my grandfathers French St.Etienne manufactured Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
16g sxs. I would like to find out the manufacturer if possible. It still shoot great and must be around more or less 50 years old. Under the forearm it's marked 976. Stamped on the barrels canon de surete,garantie double epreuve with what looks like crowns with branches crossing underneath. Also both barrels stamped 17.1.On the receiver its stamped 976 with a crown over PT. Also acier superieur,canon de surete are by the lugs and choke rectifie.I know St.Etienne has a ton of firearms manufacturers. I'm interested in value(so-so) but more curious than anything else. Can anybody refer somewhere for me to enquire about this shotgun?

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest going over to www.doublegunshop.com

Be prepared to provide exhaustive description and lots of pictures. The more information you provide, the more and better information you'll get back.

Pictures are especially important, so take lots of closeups and figure out how to post them. If you can't post pictures I'd have to say to just forget my suggestion. Most members there will not play "20 questions", especially on obscure guns, they'll just ignore your post.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
+1 on double gun shop, and +1 on pictures,

lots of good folks and good info there

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The information you provided tells us how the gun was proof fired and some details about the chamber size, but unfortunately non about the manufacturer. 976 is most likely a serial number.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I hear you. Seen other French sxs's and they had a name stamped somewhere. But apparently St.Etienne was a town that had many firearm manufacturers and I may never find out who built it. When I have a chance I'll post pics to that shot gun site and see what happens. I really like the gun, balances and points real well for me. Just the double trigger takes a little getting used to.