SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Daniel Defense RIS III Officially Released and Oh My...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daniel Defense RIS III Officially Released and Oh My... Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
I've seen a couple of them running around GunBroker, but Daniel Defense finally emailed everyone on their mailing list that the RIS III rifles are being released.

https://danieldefense.com/dd4-riii.html

quote:
DETAILS

The ambidextrous DD4 RIII AR15 style rifle is designed to satisfy the needs of both right- and left-handed shooters in popular shooting sports and for tactical and defensive applications. Its fully ambidextrous lower allows a shooter to operate the bolt catch, safety selector, and magazine release without having to move or remove their dominant hand from the rifle’s grip, while its GRIP-N-RIP Charging Handle is fully ambidextrous as well. A 12.5 inch lightweight RIS III rail—modeled after the revolutionary RIS II two-piece handguard developed for SOCOM—features M-LOK attachment for lighter weight while still offering M203 grenade-launcher attachment. It surrounds a 16 inch Cold Hammer Forged Government Profile barrel, and our mid-length gas system, known to have a smoother recoil impulse, adds to this rifle’s accuracy by allowing for quick but precise rapid fire. This rifle also comes with the ergonomic Daniel Defense Buttstock and Pistol Grip.

MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION

LOWER RECEIVER: Fully ambidextrous Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

UPPER RECEIVER: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

BARREL: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, 16" Government Profile, Mid-length Gas System, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated, and HP/MPI Tested

GAS SYSTEM: Pinned Low Profile Gas Block CNC Machined of 4140 hardened steel and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coating, Mid-length, Direct Impingement

MUZZLE DEVICE: Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Salt Bath Nitride Finished

BOLT CARRIER GROUP: M16 Profile, Mil-Spec MP Tested, Chrome Lined, Properly Staked Gas Key

BUFFER: H Buffer

SIGHTS: Sold Separately

HANDGUARD: RIS III 12.5”, CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, M-LOK Attachment, Flat Dark Earth Type III Hard Coat Anodized

CHARGING HANDLE: GRIP-N-RIP Charging Handle, Body CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Handles & Latch CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Roll Pins, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

RECEIVER EXTENSION: 6 Position Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum

BUTTSTOCK: Daniel Defense Buttstock, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding

PISTOL GRIP: Daniel Defense Pistol Grip, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding

Made in the USA!

SPECIFICATIONS

Mounting System: M-LOK
Caliber: 5.56mm NATO
Muzzle Thread: 1 ⁄ 2 × 28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
Gas System: Mid-length
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Profile: Government
Product Weight: 6.52 lbs
Length: 32 1/4" – 35 7/8”
Magazine: DD Magazine
Case: Daniel Defense Full-Latch Impact Plastic Case

MSRP: $2,278.00

https://danieldefense.com/m4a1-riii.html

quote:
DETAILS

The M4A1 RIII AR15 style firearm features a fully ambidextrous lower that allows both left- and right-handed shooters to operate the bolt catch, safety selector, and magazine release without having to move or remove their dominant hand from the rifle’s grip. Its GRIP-N-RIP Charging Handle is ambidextrous as well. We’ve taken the RIS II picatinny quad rail used on our M4A1 original and replaced it with a 12.5 inch RIS III rail featuring M-LOK attachment for lighter weight while still offering M203 grenade-launcher attachment. Just like the original, the M4A1 RIII is built around a 14.5 inch Cold Hammer Forged M4 Profile barrel with a permanently attached Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor. This rifle also comes with the ergonomic Daniel Defense Buttstock and Pistol Grip.

MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION

LOWER RECEIVER: Proprietary with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well, Fully Ambidextrous Controls and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

UPPER RECEIVER: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

BARREL: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, 14.5" M4 Profile, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated, and HP/MPI Tested

GAS SYSTEM: Pinned Low Profile Gas Block CNC Machined of 4140 Hardened Steel with Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coating, Mid-length, Direct Impingement

MUZZLE DEVICE: Pinned and Welded Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor, Extended, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Salt Bath Nitride Finished

BOLT CARRIER GROUP: M16 Profile, Mil-Spec MP Tested, Chrome Lined, Properly Staked Gas Key

BUFFER: H Buffer

SIGHTS: Sold Separately

HANDGUARD: Daniel Defense RIS III 12.5, Patented, 6-Bolt Bolt-Up System, Flat Dark Earth CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum

CHARGING HANDLE: GRIP-N-RIP Charging Handle, Body CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Handles & Latch CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Roll Pins, Type III Hard Coat Anodized

RECEIVER EXTENSION: 6 Position Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum

BUTTSTOCK: Daniel Defense Buttstock, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding

PISTOL GRIP: Daniel Defense Pistol Grip, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding

Made in the USA!

SPECIFICATIONS

Mounting System: M-LOK
Caliber: 5.56mm NATO
Muzzle Thread: 1 ⁄ 2 × 28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
Gas System: Mid-length
Barrel Length: 14.5"
Barrel Profile: M4
Product Weight: 6.39 lbs
Length: 31 1/2” – 34 ¾”
Magazine: DD Magazine
Case: Daniel Defense Full-Latch Impact Plastic Case

MSRP: $2,278.00

I looked at the prices on GunBroker and I hoped they were trying to price gouge because they were the first ones out, but oh boy... Have you ever said to yourself, "I want something worse than an LMT MARS and want to pay the same price?" It's probably going to sell, but this is a bit ridiculous when an LWRC is $500 cheaper at sticker and has an improved bolt carrier and trigger already included.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The RIS III looks pretty neat. I like the look of it, and I’m sure the reduced weight over the RIS II is appreciated. When these first dropped I saw them for sale for $2k. Too rich for my blood. If they offer the upper separately, maybe.

However, my biggest gripe is the pinned FH. Since I already have a suppressor, I would want my mount attached. Not what DD is offering.

Posts: 2010 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
You can still replace the flash hider on the 16" or pay a shop to pin and weld you're own flash hider on the 14.5.

Something that does put this back into contender status is according to DD, the lower will fit any milspec upper while the LMT or LWRC can run into snags.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why they don't go all-in, and make a 5.56 like they do the DDM5; it would be a very nice gun.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post