SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do I have an M1A Problem, or an Ammo Problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I have an M1A Problem, or an Ammo Problem? Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I have an M1A Scout Squad with not more than 500 rounds through it.

Two range trips ago, it blew a case rim, vented down the mag well, and blew the ammo out of the mag.

I inspected everything, didn't see any damage, but noted that the chamber was pretty dirty, so I cleaned and lubed per Benny6.

Took the gun out, put about 20 trouble free rounds through it, and called everything good.

Last week, third round blew the bottom off the mag again. Ammo in all cases here is that Malaysian surplus that was going around a couple of years ago for $0.40-$0.50 per round. Oddly enough, however I didn't start having trouble until I'd already shot 250 or 300 rounds of the stuff. (I know, they could have shipped me different lot numbers, and I have no way to check.)

Here are pictures of the chamber feed ramp, and the blown case. Please let me know your thoughts.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to find a good gunsmith to check headspace.
If it is still under warranty, send it back to SA with the cases.
It looks like a lock up issue,
but Malaysian may or may not be the issue.
I've burned alot of that and the only rifle that gave me fits was my SAR-48.
Wouldn't close on it, so it gets fed other stuff.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looks like I need to make a house call...

I'll be there before July 1st. Give me a week or two to settle in and I'll have a look at it. First thing I'll do is check the headspace. We'll go from there.

I also recommend Lake City or American Eagle FMJ.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d be a little suspect of that ammo, even though it may work fine 98% of the time.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. Looking forward to seeing you again, Tony.

I must admit that while I am inclined toward sourdough44's position on this, I do want to make sure the gun is set up properly.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im going with bad ammo, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ammo.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post