SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Equipment and tips for shooting from elevated field positions: a discussion. ** Post your suggestions. What works for you?**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Equipment and tips for shooting from elevated field positions: a discussion. ** Post your suggestions. What works for you?** Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Hunters and others who need to engage targets with precision rifles from locations other than manicured ranges quickly learn that shots from the traditional prone position are seldom possible. By “elevated field position” shooting I’m referring to engaging targets when it’s not possible to get a clear line of fire to the target while lying flat on the ground. The most common obstruction is vegetation, and even a bit of grass may require setting up higher to shoot over it. Irregular land forms or something like a snowdrift may also make a prone engagement impossible.

Having discovered that fact for myself long ago, I have spent a lot of time, effort, and money trying to determine and develop the best ways to achieve precision shots when I couldn’t shoot from the prone.

The purpose of this thread is to pass on some of what I’ve learned in my quest that may help others who want to hit distant targets under realistic field conditions, either for a practical reason like hunting or just for the satisfaction of being able to say we can do it (and which is true of so much of shooting). I am not a highly experienced competitor with hundreds of matches under my belt, but it may be that I therefore have a clearer recollection of what it’s like to be an ignorant novice. The equipment and techniques I describe are not necessarily the best for the purposes and are certainly not the only possible ones, so anyone else is welcome to chime in with their observations or suggestions.

Forum member offgrid was the first to give me personal advice and guidance on using artificial aids to shoot from an elevated position. I’ve also read many books on sniping and precision shooting that address the issue and watched countless YouTube videos that show the techniques precision rifle competitors use. I have adopted some others’ equipment and methods, but also developed and refined my own techniques. As the below photos will demonstrate, that has resulted in my acquiring many different items to experiment with. (No, not one thing was purchased with the assumption that it would suddenly turn me into a top tier shooter, but trying for oneself is the only reliable way to know what works and what doesn’t. Besides, I had to do something with all that stimulus money.)

Left to right (above photo):

1. Slik tripod with Precision Rifle Solutions shooting cradle. The tripod originally had an adjustable ball head, but it was unnecessary for the purpose of supporting the rifle when shooting. It just added unneeded bulk and there was always the danger of its collapsing and dumping expensive rifles and optics on the ground. When the legs are fully extended and the center column raised just a bit, the support cradle is high enough for me to shoot with both knees on the ground. When the legs are spread farther apart, the tripod will support shooting from sitting positions. Despite its size and lightweight construction it serves perfectly well to support my precision rifles. The tripod is very compact and lightweight (1.9#).

2. Tiltall tripod with head removed. This is a classic that serious photographers have used for decades and provides firm support. Many tripods that are intended for use by photographers are available for much lower prices than those we see the top precision rifle competitors using, and they will serve just as well if modified for the purpose. As pictured without the head but with the leg wraps the Tiltall weighs 5.2 pounds.

3. Manfrotto carbon fiber leg tripod with Precision Rifle Solutions cradle mounted. This shows the typical configuration if the adjustable head is attached to the tripod. Depending upon how the legs are positioned, the tripod can be used from sitting to offhand (standing). The Manfrotto is an intermediate size tripod, but if I planned to use it exclusively as a precision rifle shooting aid I would change the head to an Arca-Swiss ball mount. As pictured the setup weighs 5.3 pounds.

4. Two Vets “Recon” tripod with carbon fiber legs and Leofoto “Leveling” head that’s Arca-Swiss clamp compatible. The Arca system that firmly clamps the tripod to the rifle is steadier for me than vise type clamps like the Hog or Pig Saddles, and definitely better than simply resting the rifle on an open cradle. Even with a firm clamp to a sturdy tripod like the Recon, there is enough flex in the system to allow small aiming changes without releasing anything. The Leofoto head can also to tightened to the degree that the rifle can be moved with firm pressure, but doesn’t just flop around.

The Recon’s legs can be positioned or extended as necessary for positions from high prone to offhand. Leveling heads are available with lower projections of two different lengths. Mine is the longer, and that limits how low the rifle can be placed above the ground. If someone anticipated wanting to use the Recon tripod in a lower prone position, the short leveling head should be chosen. If I could get that low, though, I’d probably just use a conventional bipod.

The tripod legs are wrapped with Camo Form fabric wrap for appearance and protection. The feet are pictured with the steel spikes extended which is best for most situations, but they can be switched so that only the rubber pads contact the surface. The Recon tripod has very similar characteristics and features as the Really Right Stuff and Vortex Radian tripods. I have no experience with those two which are more well known than the Two Vets’ lineup, but I am perfectly content with the Recon.

The Recon is, unsurprisingly, the sturdiest tripod pictured. Tripods of that size and type are what “practical” rifle competitors use almost exclusively, but they usually don’t have to carry them very far before shooting. With the leveling head and leg wraps the tripod weighs 6.1 pounds.

5. Cabela’s (largest) and Primos shooting sticks. The Cabela’s and the larger Primos sticks can be used from kneeling to standing. The shorter Primos can be used kneeling. I modified the top cradles of all three sticks by cutting them to make them narrower. The Cabela’s sticks came with the fabric strap to limit how wide the legs spread and lever locks for the legs. I added the spikes to the feet myself as I found they prevented slippage on many field surfaces much better than the plain rubber. The Primos sticks use a twist lock system for the legs that’s not quite as secure and convenient as the lever locks of the Cabela’s. The Primos sticks also benefit from the addition of cords on the legs to fix how wide they can be spread. That helps keep the feet from slipping and ensures consistent stick heights. Weights: Cabela’s, 1.4#; large Primos, 1.0#; small Primos, 0.7#.

Small Rests, back row, left to right (above photo).

1. Armageddon Gear “Game Changer®” bag. This bag is very popular with precision rifle competitors for shooting from various range supports such as large rocks, tree branches, or barricades. The bag can be used to support the front or rear of the rifle on a variety of surfaces. The V-shaped section snuggles the buttstock very well or when turned over it will fit over things like tree branches or fence rails. I have the heavy version of the bag which at 5.7 pounds is … heavy. A version with lighter weight fill is available that would be better if there were ever a need to carry it for long distances.

2. WieBad Modular Tac Pad. The weight and firmness of the bag is regulated by small separate filled bags inside. I usually use this bag under my upper chest when lying in the prone or between my chest and something I’m leaning against for support. With added plastic carabiner and carrying strap, weight is 1.0#.

3. WieBad Pump Pillow. This bag is available in different versions, including strapless and a modular style to be filled with separate small bags like the Modular Tac Pad. This bag can be used as a body gap filler like the Tac Pad, only with larger spaces to fill. See below for a picture of its use. With added plastic carabiner and carrying strap, weight is 1.4#.

Front left.

4. Unknown brand “soup can” type bag and Triad Tactical small wedge bag. I most often use the wedge bag along with a monopod at the rear of my rifle when shooting from the prone, but it and the soup can bag can be used with certain elevated positions.

Front row, middle and right.

5. Homemade plywood platform to mount on a tripod for use with support bags like the Game Changer. Similar commercial platforms are also available for the purpose, but for far more money. The platform is somewhat faster to use and doesn’t require fiddling with to adjust like an Arca clamp. It also avoids the expense of additional tripod heads and can be used with any rifle. Obviously, however, it doesn’t provide the advantages of a firm clamp on the gun.

Bipods are sometimes used from elevated positions on suitable surfaces.

6. MDT Ckye-Pod bipod with Arca-Swiss compatible head. The nonskid tape that was originally attached to the legs was replaced with Camo Form wrap. The Ckye-Pod is very popular with competition shooters because its range of adjustments is larger than most other types’. Mine has single length legs, but versions with double and triple length legs are available as well. Another advantage is that it uses standard Atlas bipod feet which seem to be becoming somewhat of a standard for bipods. The Ckye is, however, very expensive and countless shooters have made do without its features for decades.

7. Atlas bipod with quick detach Picatinny rail head. Several different feet are available for the Atlas, and the ones pictured are by Hawk Hill Custom. The factory Atlas spiked feet have much longer spikes without the side “talons.” The long spikes are better for use on soft surfaces like snow when we want them to reach down to a hard surface. If I want to use the Atlas with a rifle that has an Arca rail on the forend, I have adapters for the interface.

I prefer the “leveling head” that’s available for the Two Vets and similar tripods over the more traditional ball heads that were long the standard for photographic purposes. Reviewers of the two types point out, however, that the leveling head doesn’t permit aiming the rifle up or down at angles that are as extreme as the ball head allows. But there is a way to have both: the Field Optics Research HAB-270 high angle bracket. It is another thing to buy and fiddle with, but would serve the purpose, especially for occasional employment.

Employment of the tripod and shooting sticks.

The simplest method of using shooting sticks or a tripod is to just rest the front of the rifle on the support and rely on one’s body position and strength for the rear rather than adding a second artificial support aid. Shooting sticks can be improvised by tying two poles together near the top and spreading the lower legs. This is a method commonly seen in African safari pictures. The steadiness of using just a pair of sticks can be increased significantly by leaning one’s body against a firm rest such as a vehicle or tree. Regardless of the type of single artificial rest used—including a tripod clamp—however, it will never be as steady as using artificial supports at both the front and rear of the rifle.

Pictured below is the first method of using two artificial elevated rests for the rifle that I experimented with. The forend of the rifle stock is simply resting on the cradle of the Slik tripod without being fixed in place. The toe (bottom rear) of the stock rests on the upper part of the Cabela’s shooting sticks X shape. That method has a couple of advantages.

The most important advantage is its steadiness. With both the front and rear of the rifle resting on firm supports it’s almost as steady as the prone except for controlling side to side movement. After learning the technique one of my agency’s snipers used it with a Slik tripod and Primos shooting sticks to take a deer at a distance of over 600 yards. The other primary advantage of the position is that it can be maintained for long periods with minimum shooter fatigue. As pictured, the rifle doesn’t even have to be held in position, and it can be used even with lightweight sticks and tripod.

Although the position is very steady when the rifle is positioned properly, the big drawbacks to resting the stock on the top of the shooting sticks are that it’s difficult to get set up in the first place, and once the recoil from a first shot disturbs the position of everything, it’s equally time-consuming and difficult to get back on target or to engage a second target. The technique does permit small adjustments to the point of aim after getting in position without starting over from the beginning of the setup, but not much. Those problems led me to realize that it wasn’t really suitable as a normal law enforcement sniping technique and I abandoned its use.

A far better way of using two artificial supports for the rifle is to rest the front of the rifle on one support and to hold the stock against the side of a leg of shooting sticks rather than just resting the stock on the top. In the second picture the Atlas monopod attached to the bottom rear of the stock is extended straight down, and then it and one leg of the shooting sticks are grasped together by the shooter’s support hand. But it’s not necessary to use the monopod like that or to even have a monopod. The change from simply resting the stock on the X of the sticks to holding the stock against one leg makes a major difference in the practicality of using a rest like a tripod at the front and shooting sticks bipod at the rear. The method permits quick acquisition of the target, quick and positive recovery for follow-up shots, and the ability to relatively quickly and positively engage other targets. Note that the method can be used from both the kneeling with both knees on the ground or while standing.

Even the small Slik tripod and Primos sticks are usable.

The method is also very steady. While using it kneeling with no other support I have regularly fired sub-MOA groups at 200 yards. If it’s possible to lean against a firm support like a vehicle, it’s even steadier. Pictured below are the results of two dot drills fired in succession with a Ruger 77/22 at 50 yards. The upper 10 targets were fired while seated at a firm bench rest. The lower 10 were fired from the kneeling position using the Arca clamp mount on the Two Vets Recon tripod and the Cabela’s shooting sticks at the rear. Except for the one “flyer,” the benched series is somewhat better, but not exceptionally so.

Use of body “fillers.”

The sitting position offers the advantages of moving the shooter’s upper body lower to take advantage of certain types of cover or concealment and is also more comfortable to maintain for long periods, especially if it’s possible to lean against a firm support.

In the picture below the shooter is supporting the rifle with the small Slik tripod at the front and by resting the stock on the WieBad “pump pillow” in his lap at the rear. The smaller Tac Pad also works for the position, but not quite as well. Additional support is provided by leaning against the large shipping container for a very steady and comfortable position.

Use of bipods.

Although shooting sticks are a type of bipod, now I’m referring to the more common type that have shorter legs and are attached near the front of the rifle stock. The two I use are an Atlas or the Ckye-Pod.

Bipods can often be used from elevated positions in conjunction with some sort of naturally-occurring front support such as a tree stump, boulder, wall, or vehicle hood. Although various bags like the Game Changer can often be used with similar supports that may be available at the site, such bags may not provide sufficient height above obstacles by themselves or may not be available at all.

As a final point, the experienced precision shooters at the Sniper’s Hide site have determined that the difference in the amount of resistance the shooter exerts against the recoil of a fired rifle can affect muzzle velocity. It’s important, therefore, to practice the different positions and techniques that may be used in the field to ensure we know how they may affect our accuracy.

The many YouTube videos showing the conduct of National Rifle League (NRL) long range competitions are an excellent way to see how the various artificial supports described above are used in field positions. The videos showing the recently-introduced NRL hunter series are the most informative for the purpose in my opinion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The target from the tripod shows me your cheek pressure is good. If not, as a right hand shooter most likely your impacts would be consistently high and left. Nice work.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overdue to pay you a visit! Do you have an Arca rail on your 22LR bolt rifle? If not, I have a RRS Vyce.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Do you have an Arca rail on your 22LR bolt rifle?

The rifle has a Picatinny rail section, but I have a Pic to Arca adapter plate to use with it.
I am thinking of trying to find a full length Arca rail for it, but haven't made the effort yet.

It would be great to see you, but I'm a little constrained about being away from home for extended periods. A few hours would be okay.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For the few who may be interested, some groups fired today: Tikka T3 Tactical, ammunition 5.56mm×45 IMI 77 grain OTM, LR, Mod 1.

After two sighters, the scope was adjusted, then five-round groups at 100 yards. Sequence: upper left, lower left, both from bench rest; upper right from kneeling with rifle supported by Two Vets tripod and shooting sticks at rear.

If it is not clear, I really like the tripod/shooting sticks support method. Smile

And a belated thanks to offgrid for the most recent session.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Its certainly not the level of gear that you have been using, but I have had good luck with:
Thunderbolt Little Sure Shot Rifle Rest.
I have adapted it as a walking stick and find it works well for expedient field shooting. You can easily adapt it to fence posts or other impromptu shooting situations or cut a limb or branch to use with the rest. When dismounted from the support, it easily carries in a pack or cargo pocket. You can get one from Amazon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Thunderbolt Little Sure Shot Rifle Rest

Very interesting concept. It would certainly be more convenient to carry than even the lightest tripod.

I hesitated about starting this thread and displaying all the gadgets I’ve accumulated over time, but I decided that if I was going to raise the topic it might be useful for others to know what sorts of things I’ve tried. I like to experiment and I end up with a lot of different stuff relating to all of my interests. The gun rest you mention is another good one to know about.

Thanks for that. Anyone else have suggestions for gear and techniques?

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
** UPDATE 30Dec21 **
When viewing the RRS video regarding the Anvil-30 head I learned that in addition to its compatibility with the Arca system, it will also clamp to a Picatinny rail section. I guess that would have been obvious if I’d looked at it carefully, but ....

Using a Pic rail to clamp the head to doesn’t offer the flexibility of the Arca system, but it’s a less expensive system and does offer another option. My primary go-to AR has a short rail section on the handguard to attach a vertical foregrip when desired, and now I can clamp the rifle to the Slik tripod for elevated support as well.
==============

My latest acquisitions in my search for the ideal aid for elevated field position shooting were a larger Slik tripod than the one pictured above and a Really Right Stuff “Anvil-30” Arca-Swiss head.

Unsurprisingly, this setup isn’t as sturdy as the Two Vets Recon tripod and leveling head, but it is lighter at 3.7 pounds and significantly more compact at 20 inches long when collapsed, or about 2/3 the length of the Recon. But what sort of shooting accuracy can be achieved when using them?

The below targets of two shots each were fired in succession from the kneeling position using the above tripod and RRS Anvil-30 head at the front of the rifle and the Cabela’s shooting sticks to support the stock. Rifle was a Tikka T3x TAC A1 chambered for 308 Winchester, and ammunition was Hornady 155 grain A-MAX Palma Match. Target distance was 200 yards. I took a short break between targets. Targets are from one of my agency’s sniper training drills. The point of aim is usually the forehead between the eyebrows and hairline, and the absence of a clearly marked aiming point is a deliberate aspect of the drill.

The first two targets with their two-shot, one-hole groups were due in part to chance (luck); the third and fourth of the session were more typical of my performance. Because the point of impact on the first target was a little below the point of aim, the sight setting was dialed up 0.1 mil for the other three targets.

I post the targets not to brag about what a fantastically good shot I am, but as another demonstration of what sorts of results can be achieved with shooting aids that can be readily transported and used in field shooting situations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Of possible renewed interest.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
RRS series 3 tripods with anvil ball heads to shoot from, manfrotto carbon to range and spot.

Posts: 1787 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a RRS tripod with the Anvil ball head. It is really excellent.

I have also been learning by attending (and getting my butt kicked) some PRS matches.

PRS emphasizes the use of bag on props with a pretty restrictive time element. Tripods are allowed but difficult to employ on the clock. I recently added a bag and a bipod that both attach to the arca rail on my rifle because managing a bag separate from a rifle can be difficult in some positions.

I also use a pillow type bag for some positions to prop up an elbow and get really stable.

I will try to upload some photos shortly.

This photo was before I added a full length Arca adapter to the bottom of my rifle.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see your photos, but I can't either by copying and pasting the link or the image.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a ‘system’ tuned on outings prairie dogging out West. I wanted mobility, lighter weight, fairly steady position. I’m not big into prone, plus it’s better to get a little height over grass. As always, a little higher vantage points are helpful.

I understand the firm tripod, seems one needs their back against something stable for a good hold.

My system is a ‘turkey hunting’ chair, sits low, Browning calls theirs a ‘strutter’ chair. This is paired with shooting sticks, low, made for sitting position. A secondary method is a pad for a seat, back against a firm pole, tree or rock.

This system is lightweight, mobile and steady for shots over 200 yards. I usually go mid-June, no need to shoot at 400 yards unless one desires to.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
My system is a ‘turkey hunting’ chair ....

Hmm.... I can definitely see the benefit of something like that in some situations.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I'd like to see your photos, but I can't either by copying and pasting the link or the image.

Are the photos not displaying on the forum? I can see them.

They are hosted in my google account, perhaps I need to change permissions.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yup, not seeing your photos. Thanks for checking.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Yup, not seeing your photos. Thanks for checking.

Thanks for letting me know. I will see if I can make them shareable.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I understand the firm tripod, seems one needs their back against something stable for a good hold.

Having your back against a solid object helps, but it isn't always necessary.

Beefy tripods are often used in steel/precision/PRI-ish matches. I've never had my back against something while using a tripod. In a few stages I've had a barrier off to one side, so I could lean against it with shoulder, hip, or arm. And of course, the additional support made the rifle more stable.

The more stable the tripod & clamp, the heavier the rifle, the less the caliber's recoil -- the easier it is to stabilize the rifle throughout the recoil cycle. And to spot your own impact. IMO shooting a 223 Remy from a high tripod is pretty easy. Same with 6mm calibers with lower powder capacity. Managing recoil with the 6.5s becomes a challenge. It gets much harder to do with 308 Win and larger calibers.

I have shot my 308 from a standing position with a tripod with decent accuracy on steel targets. But recoil pulls my scope off target -- I can't spot my own impacts and seeing bullet trace is just out of the question. But with good fundamentals, bullets fly where pointed.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont remember where or when but there was a video of a guy who used a tripod and a rifle sling as a stabilizer. The rifle sling was used in a certain way and it was wrapped around the ball of the foot. The sling was used as a "gas pedal" and the more "gas" applied would pull the rifle down. Back off the "gas" and the rifle would rise up.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I think I fixed my hosting issues.

Before adding the Area 419 full length arca rail:

And after. Rifle will still mount on the tripod of course. Mounted bag and bipod get used more often for PRS matches.