SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New to AR 15 platform
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to AR 15 platform Login/Join 
posted
I have a Colt AR and a Smith and Wesson sport. I have two slings from Blue Force Gear and it occurred to me that I might need additional hardware to attach the slings. Need some help. Both rifles are standard from the factory. Thanks

Posts: 17174 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Colt AR is a bit vague because it covers all of the different models Colt made. Both rifles probably have loops you thread your slings through. Pictures would help.

Posts: 10820 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Try this video for sling set-up basics on an AR15/M4:

Garand Thumb Channel - AR-15 Sling Setup Basics

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's going to depend on how you're wanting to set up your sling, how fancy you want to get while doing so, and how your rifle is set up currently.

If you'll post more details about your specific rifles and their current setups, we can provide better answers.

Without any other details about your current ARs, I'm going to assume that they're both currently in basic M4-style configuration, like this:

If you just want a shoulder strap, then hook the sling to the front and rear sling swivels on the bottom of the rifle.

However, this defeats the purpose of going with the VCAS slings, which are designed for cross-body "patrol ready" sling use.

In order to set up for this, you'll need a way to attach the VCAS slings to the left side of your rifles.

You can go as simple as tying some paracord loops on the side of the front sight block and the buttstock.

Or there are metal side sling adapters available, like the GG&G Sling Things.

Or there are velcro adapters that allow you to attach a sling on the side of the rifle, like these from Specter Gear.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Colt AR is a bit vague because it covers all of the different models Colt made. Both rifles probably have loops you thread your slings through. Pictures would help.

Yep, that's even less specific than Glock, given the myriad options. You can get away with factory stocks and handguards, but you may benefit from switching to stuff that has QD points pre-installed. QD, for me, is the way to go.

Pics will shortcut the need to speculate, though.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
You can get away with factory stocks and handguards, but you may benefit from switching to stuff that has QD points pre-installed. QD, for me, is the way to go.

You can have that on a basic M4-style rifle with factory stock and handguard too, since GG&G offers QD Sling Thing adapters.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Without any other details about your current ARs, I'm going to assume that they're both currently in basic M4-style configuration, like this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They are. The colt AR is configured like the basic 6920 but it is lightweight barrel.

Posts: 17174 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You can have that on a basic M4-style rifle with factory stock and handguard too, since GG&G offers QD Sling Thing adapters.

True, and to be fair, I scrolled right past that. Wink

ZSMICHAEL, assuming you have stock M4 style handguards, another option would be to use that rear mount with this front mount if you wanted to get the front sling attachment mounted closer to the receiver. It's purely a preference thing, but slings attached further to the end of long guns feel and work differently than if you had one mounted at, say, either end of the receiver on an AR, or at least closer to it. I happen to prefer them that way. Worth taking a look at, at the very least.

https://www.impactweaponscompo...-sling-mount-n-slot/

In that same vein, this is a great option for getting a light on that rifle:
https://www.impactweaponscompo...-light-mount-n-slot/

IWC makes great stuff, you might look at their other offerings, may give you some ideas.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Any worries about the Sling Thing pulling on the front sight all the time?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have a Colt AR and a Smith and Wesson sport. I have two slings from Blue Force Gear and it occurred to me that I might need additional hardware to attach the slings. Need some help. Both rifles are standard from the factory. Thanks

Blue Force Gear has what you need, choose based on your rifles front sights, handguards, and stocks. Wire loops are simple and secure.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/.../sling-hardware.html

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

A pinned front sight base is incredibly secure. You would have to deform a significant amount of steel to move it.

If you applied enough torque to move a front sight, the aluminum receiver would probably fail before the front sight base.

A sling will never come close to the kind of force, not even the same realm.

That being said, I would not attach a sling to a set screw retained front sight base.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blue Force Gear has what you need, choose based on your rifles front sights, handguards, and stocks. Wire loops are simple and secure.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are a number of choices here, what would you suggest? I clicked on your link that you provided. Thanks

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

A pinned front sight base is incredibly secure. You would have to deform a significant amount of steel to move it.

If you applied enough torque to move a front sight, the aluminum receiver would probably fail before the front sight base.

That being said, I would not attach a sling to a set screw retained front sight base.

The barrel can flex enough to affect your accuracy if you’re in a tight sling hold with the factory sling swivels on an A2 rifle. CMP High Power guys twenty years ago were telling me about it at a match, and I forget exactly what wizardry they had come up with under the stock handguards, but it wasn’t just the heavier-than-government barrel profile. I think it was basically a free float that the stock handguards hid.

At rest, or being carried, it’s probably fine. But in a sling hold, the further forward you attach the sling to the barrel, the more barrel flex you’re going to get. If you shoot with a sling, this is a consideration with the original A2 or M4 style setup. If you don’t use a sling to shoot, have at. It’s not so much pulling on the sight thats a concern, but yes, you can flex the barrel under tension.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Or there are metal side sling adapters available, like the GG&G Sling Things.
Yeah, I have two rifles with M4 buttstocks and I use the GG&G rear sling swivel on both. A good, solid part.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107252 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Para, what are the details on your tripod/mount?

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

The barrel can flex enough to affect your accuracy if you’re in a tight sling hold with the factory sling swivels on an A2 rifle. CMP High Power guys twenty years ago were telling me about it at a match, and I forget exactly what wizardry they had come up with under the stock handguards, but it wasn’t just the heavier-than-government barrel profile. I think it was basically a free float that the stock handguards hid.

At rest, or being carried, it’s probably fine. But in a sling hold, the further forward you attach the sling to the barrel, the more barrel flex you’re going to get. If you shoot with a sling, this is a consideration with the original A2 or M4 style setup. If you don’t use a sling to shoot, have at. It’s not so much pulling on the sight thats a concern, but yes, you can flex the barrel under tension.[/QUOTE]

I had the same issue in the day, tighter the sling the more it caused problems zeroing a M16A2. The other side of the coin was never using a sling in the field anyway - SOP for Infantry in my day. I quit using them at the range to qualify and could still shoot expert. NBD.

The free floats for Nat Match work well, on the M4 its not for accuracy so much as a mounting system for 87 different accessories among dozens of MOS. For me, a sling is rarely needed in the field, MP would detaining and searching an individual, Infantry remove them to prevent hangups and snags both urban or in the field. No fun exiting vehicle and snagged either. I don't use slings deer hunting for the same reason - snags and noise. Once I leave the parking lot I've had deer jump from layups 50m in - a quiet stroll to the stand all slung up not hunting isn't my norm. No sling on the HD weapons either, door knobs, furniture, etc.

For the most part the sling was a device for displaying rifles when marching in military parades, a holdover from yesteryear. It still has a function among some specialty MOS but it's as much a hindrance as aid. Depends on what is needed.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt 723ish clone and I use some paracord to secure the sling to the front sight.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post