SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli MR1/ Beretta RX4. Anyone have one or had one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli MR1/ Beretta RX4. Anyone have one or had one? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted

Yeah, I know AR's! - consider that conversation had. I've got some, I know what they do. I have odd taste in firearms and I'm ok with that.

That out of the way, these have intrigued me for years. I picked up a nice Benelli M1S90 about a month ago, and it got me thinking about this rifle. I know they were only on the US market for a few years, they weren't very popular and I think it had more to do with the timing of everyone who makes firearms putting an AR on the market. Does anyone here have any experience with these? Any owners perhaps? I, uh... kinda have the itch to track one down but want to hear some first-hand opinions on them before I get too focused.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one, but sold it. Did not like it at all. The LOP was too long with that fixed stock and the stock dropped too much to be usable with much except the fixed sights. Also IIRC, the disassembly was somewhat complex. I think that nut at the front of the handguard had to be unscrewed to take it apart, and there was some trick to get it to go back together. Not worth the trouble IMHO. If you want a non-EBR 5.56 rifle, I’d go for a Mini-14.

Also, I think all of the commercial ones sold in the US had the fixed stock (w/ or w/o the pistol grip) and the unthreaded barrel. The collapsible stock and shorter barrel with the FH were the military ones.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did a little searching and supposedly they used the same stock as the M2 and M3. I wonder if a Mesa Urbino would fit. That would solve the LOP issue, and with the cheek riser, maybe the drop as well. I know the civilian models came without muzzle devices, that’s definitely a negative.

How was the trigger? Decent accuracy? Reliable?

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always wanted one. Could never find one when the energy was high. Kept reading they are like a piano to work on. Have two M4 and two M1. It's a pity Benelli never really supported this format

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Thanks. I did a little searching and supposedly they used the same stock as the M2 and M3. I wonder if a Mesa Urbino would fit. That would solve the LOP issue, and with the cheek riser, maybe the drop as well. I know the civilian models came without muzzle devices, that’s definitely a negative.

How was the trigger? Decent accuracy? Reliable?

I didn’t know about the Mesa stock when I had mine (if it was even out), so I never looked into alternate stocks. Don’t remember much about the trigger. Probably like a Benelli shotgun, since the carrier and action is very similar to the shotguns. Another thing I didn’t like was the mag release being so far forward, and also the cross bolt safety. The gun was different, but that’s about it.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dwill. I went watching YouTube reviews last night and there weren’t a whole lot of good things said about it, unless the reviewer was Canadian. Basically repeated everything you’ve said already.

Well, I think it was a noble concept, but could have been better executed. I guess it isn’t the thing to be sinking money into at this time.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don’t know what the appeal of the gun ever was, even in the military form. I could sort of see making a semi auto .223 hunting rifle, but that low stock isn’t very conductive to using with an optic. Maybe it had more appeal in other countries, but it didn’t really have much appeal in the US, especially since there were many better, and cheaper, alternatives.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, I know AR's!

We now return to our regularly scheduled AR15 program.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I may be a weirdo, but I think the MR1 in its traditional non-pistol-gripped stock form is actually kinda cool. But then, I feel the same about the Ares SCR. Sort of an amalgamation of old-school and modern forms. Especially if one were to throw some wood furniture on it.

Doesn't mean that I think they're the most practical or functional rifles, though.

But if I had unlimited money, I'd have one of each just for shits and giggles.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
We now return to our regularly scheduled AR15 program.

Hey, I like to channel surf!

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I may be a weirdo, but I think the MR1 in its traditional non-pistol-gripped stock form is actually kinda cool. But then, I feel the same about the Ares SCR. Sort of an amalgamation of old-school and modern forms. Especially if one were to throw some wood furniture on it.

Well, I guess we're both weird, then. I actually considered putting together an Ares SCR just because I like the way it looks. I like rifles with pistol-gripped stocks, and I also like rifles with the traditional sporting stock. I think if I decided to track one of these down, it would naturally follow that I'd acquire at least the pistol gripped version and the traditional, if not the collapsing version as well just because. I mean, this looks fun:

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Doesn't mean that I think they're the most practical or functional rifles, though.
But if I had unlimited money, I'd have one of each just for shits and giggles.

Yeah, same here again. That's where it kinda falls down for me. The practical side of me says "get another AR instead" and then I think "where's the fun in that?" I don't have unlimited money, and I'm kinda weighing the balance between fun and practical as far as space in my safe.

posted Hide Post
I have one! Fixed stock with a pistol grip, standard version. Honestly bought it just to be cool and match my Benelli shotgun. That, and I honestly just don’t like AR’s and have set out to own just about every other auto loaded black rifle in existence OTHER than an AR. Having said that, I don’t shoot it much. It’s very well built, really good trigger, terrible ergo’s, and so so accuracy. Absolutely NO ONE at the range knows what it is, which is always fun.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jon. Sounds like a fun gun, just not incredibly practical. That's not an altogether horrible thing.

posted Hide Post
Had one, was an unreliable pos with any mag except the factory 5 round mag. Sent it to Benelli, who was of no help. Sold it for a loss...

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F12517:
Had one, was an unreliable pos with any mag except the factory 5 round mag. Sent it to Benelli, who was of no help. Sold it for a loss...

Ouch...

I'm getting the feeling this isn't a good idea.

posted Hide Post
Mine has been absolutely reliable. Matter of fact, I think the only mag I haven’t used IS the factory 5 rounder.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post