SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I’m a sucker for English stock shotguns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m a sucker for English stock shotguns Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Don’t know why, I shoot pistol grips better
Probably from rabbit hunting when a kid and some of the old timers said they came up quicker
Just prefer the looks really
Found this in a pawn shop and rescued it
Couple dings from bumping around a safe most likely
Doesn’t look like it has been hunted

20ga Browning Gold Hunter
24” barrel with invector chokes
Belgium/Portugal made, circa 2001

$680 later it was on the way home with me

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That’s very nice. Looks funny w/o the pistol grip.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Don't love them in semi autos, but absolutely love them on double guns.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^that stock looks perfect for that double…it just doesn’t look right on a pump….but what do I know I’ve never shot one with an English stock

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Love the straight stock on a Sxs
Actually prefer pistol on an o/u though

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Don't love them in semi autos, but absolutely love them on double guns.

Bingo right there. There's a thing about that for real double guns, but your repeater with a straight stick MAY work for you. It's still fun though.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do look more elegant and sleeker than shotguns with a PG.

OP: How do you like the Browning Gold Hunter? I've never handled one.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot them in 12ga, nice guns
In 20ga and 24” barrel this one would be a pleasure to carry all day, a fancy rabbit/squirrel gun since I don’t bird hunt much around here
Grandpa would have said “damn son, them squirrels must be wearing tuxedos if ur gonna shoot em with that thing”
He was all about utilitarian guns, but did have a couple old Parker’s etc

--Riff Raff--

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Beautiful guns. I tried an English stock on a Red Label. Didn't like it. I prefer the pistol grip stock at least on autos and O/Us. I don't have much experience with SxSs.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am another lover of the English straight stocks. I own two Model 42 Winchesters with them and rib sights. I love the looks.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
When we say “English style” do we simply mean straight stock vs a “curved or pistol grip esque” style stock?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard it called “English Style”.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
When we say “English style” do we simply mean straight stock vs a “curved or pistol grip esque” style stock?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard it called “English Style”.

Yes, a straight stock is commonly known as an English stock.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am with Yellow Jacket. On a side by side, English stocks are almost required, or at least a pistol grip with a very shallow curve.

On an auto, I think they look a little awkward.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The English/straight stock makes it easier to manipulate two triggers, as often seen in side by side shotguns.

The pistol grip stock makes it easier to control the rear of the shotgun and to break a single trigger consistently.

I've never shot a single-trigger shotgun which had an English stock. I have shot SxS shotguns with (a) two triggers and an English stock and (b) one trigger and a pistol grip stock. I definitely prefer the (b) option, and I've shot it better in sporting clays courses.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I get that you folks are focused on what looks nice etc. But the gun has to fit yer body, shoulder, etc if you are going to have much chance of shooting it well and hits on your targets. But for an investment or wall hanger it doesn't much matter.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post