SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lithgow Arms - F90 (Steyr AUG variant)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lithgow Arms - F90 (Steyr AUG variant) Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Alright SIGforum...which one of you has an Aussie Lighgow Arms F90? I ran across these when doing some research for Steyr AUG accessories and aftermarket parts. Looks like the Aussies took the AUG to the next level as a weapons platform. Would love to get my hands on one or even a parts kit! I sent in a request this morning to see if they have a U.S. importer and if these are available for sale. Steyr seems to have dropped the ball concerning development of this platform. They have made some minor improvements, but Lighgow basically took the original AUG and did what the U.S. did in developing the old M16 to the modern day M4.

Honestly, I'd be happy if I could purchase their barrel assembly!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
The F90 was never made available commercially in the U.S., a few years back there were talks for importing them but with one delay after another, the company eventually got political and pulled the plug after citing some nonsense about their social responsibility for working against gun violence in the U.S....

As much as I would've liked to get my hands on one I would not want to support a company with such a political stance, the level of hypocrisy and irony coming from a gun company...

Posts: 10842 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
It's too bad they never brought them in, I would have been a buyer.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Alright SIGforum...which one of you has an Aussie Lighgow Arms F90?

Might want to ask this Aussie. Who knows, he might just have one.

Q

Posts: 27495 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a good number of them in the hands of Australian troops when I was in Iraq.

While traditionally the commonwealth countries use weapons deigned and built in Britain, the L85 series was such a boondoggle that no other commonwealth country adopted it. The Australians went with AUG, the Canadians an AR variant, and even the UK special ops went with an AR variant

Posts: 3373 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC - didn’t one of our great leaders outlaw the import of assault type weapons?
It put a screeching halt to the HK91 and HK93 coming in.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
IIRC - didn’t one of our great leaders outlaw the import of assault type weapons?
It put a screeching halt to the HK91 and HK93 coming in.

Bush I,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10564 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I remember seeing a good number of them in the hands of Australian troops when I was in Iraq.

While traditionally the commonwealth countries use weapons deigned and built in Britain, the L85 series was such a boondoggle that no other commonwealth country adopted it. The Australians went with AUG, the Canadians an AR variant, and even the UK special ops went with an AR variant

Yea, I was reading up on that. From what I read, the reason for the AR adoption was due to all the Pic Rails which the original AUG did not lend itself to very well. However, I must say, I really love the balance and simplicity of the AUG.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Steyr seems to have dropped the ball concerning development of this platform.

Oooo don't say that about Colt or Armalite, somebody might get upset. When a platform is decades old, can you really lay it at the feet of the OG, that "development" got "dropped?" Who will explain things to the AK guys?

I wasn't aware of these, they're interesting. A variety of factors are keeping them from the US market, but I don't think Steyr deserves any shade. I mean, pick a firearm. Colt fucked up "developing" the 1911 to, right? I mean, the Double Eagle is inexcusable..

The history of arms development is a tangled web. Steyr can't be accused of just slouching, they seem to be interested in quality. It's more likely that the ducats weren't there for them to develop a contract more. Sounds like something for Forgotten Weapons to detail.

HK developed the Mp5 series into the UMP... but those are trash.. right?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post