SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looks like Ruger is re-releasing the Hawkeye Alaskan!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks like Ruger is re-releasing the Hawkeye Alaskan!! Login/Join 
posted
I got one in 375 Ruger back in ~ 2010/11 because I thought it was cool but had no practical use for the gun so I sold it.

Over the past few years I’ve always wished I had that gun back, it was built like a tank, powerful, compact and ready to rock.

Looks like they are doing those again, I’m going to have to get one. Probably 375ruger, probably throw a vx3i or vx5 1-5 on it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Good news, had a guide gun a couple years ago and sold it but have been wanting another.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Good news, had a guide gun a couple years ago and sold it but have been wanting another.

The guide guns are cool, that’s actually what I got on Ruger a website to look at, I was thinking of getting one but then saw that are making exactly what I want again.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many calibers are they making it besides 375 Ruger?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
How many calibers are they making it besides 375 Ruger?

Looks like 375 Ruger, 338 win mag and 300 win mag.

Looks to be the same thing as the guide gun but a different stock and minus the barrel band sling thing the guide guns have.

I’ve been co Stanton kicking myself for selling my Alaskan so I’ll absolutely be grabbing one of these. I ordered a leupold vx3i 1.5-5 today for it already.

Now all I need to do is track one down and next time I’m in anchorage I’ll grab it.

posted Hide Post
Seems like the Guide Gun is a better deal. At least you can adjust the length of pull. And I wish they’d lose the muzzle break and add two more inches of barrel, fullbore magnums need some barrel length, not 20 inches.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
And I wish they’d lose the muzzle break...

Doncha just hate it when a manufacturer ships a rifle with a broken barrel? Wink

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like the Guide Gun is a better deal. At least you can adjust the length of pull. And I wish they’d lose the muzzle break and add two more inches of barrel, fullbore magnums need some barrel length, not 20 inches.

The muzzle brake is user removable. I like shorter barrels for the intended use of this rifle. I have 375HH rifles that all have 24-25" barrels already, Most 338s have 26" barrels it seems which really makes them a hassle in thick brush.

posted Hide Post
I should have elaborated. A 22-23” barrel length with no brake would be the same as a 20” with the brake (I fixed it. Twice)
Jack O’Connor said he’d rather be kicked around than deafened.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Maybe a left hand version.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should have elaborated. A 22-23” barrel length with no brake would be the same as a 20” with the brake (I fixed it. Twice)

From Rugers website:

The Ruger® Muzzle Brake System includes a removable, radial-port muzzle brake that significantly reduces felt recoil. For times when the brake is not preferred, it may be replaced by the included dynamically-matched muzzle weight. Switching between the brake and the weight will not change the bullet's point of impact for a particular load. The included thread protector may be used if neither the brake nor the weight is desired.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look at the African, I believe it is 22-23" and the brake is removable. And the 375 Ruger performs as well in a 20" barrel as the CZ with a 25".

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:

From Rugers website:

The Ruger® Muzzle Brake System includes a removable, radial-port muzzle brake that significantly reduces felt recoil. For times when the brake is not preferred, it may be replaced by the included dynamically-matched muzzle weight. Switching between the brake and the weight will not change the bullet's point of impact for a particular load. The included thread protector may be used if neither the brake nor the weight is desired.

Ya got me. Forgot about that.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Ruger could do themselves a bigger favour by re-releasing the Ruger Old Army revolver. Examples over here in UK are selling for around $1K.... Frown

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Ruger could do themselves a bigger favour by re-releasing the Ruger Old Army revolver. Examples over here in UK are selling for around $1K.... Frown

I've always wondered why they got rid of the stainless synthetic hawkeye 77 rifles. Those things are a mainstay up here in AK and people are always looking for used ones.