SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mounting & leveling riflescopes: What's your favorite method/instrument for the job?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting & leveling riflescopes: What's your favorite method/instrument for the job? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cigardad:
+1 for the Arisaka.

Yep, Love the Arisaka.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
After reading this thread the bubble level system just does not satisfy me anymore, ordered the Arisaka system this afternoon.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using a cheap Segway Leveler. https://www.amazon.com/Straigh...d=1626309787&sr=8-22

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Wheeler Engineering bubble level kit. It's not perfect and you have to fiddle with it a bit but it works.

For AR's the Scalarworks integrated scope mounts have a level screw - basically a big flat set screw that you snug up against the bottom of the scope and until it is flush and the scope cannot rotate at all. Then tighten the vertically split hinged rings and remove the leveling screw. It's brilliant.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing that has driven me mad several times is the reticle not being level, relative to the scope body itself. And I have seen it in something as nice as a Trijicon.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Interesting that I found this thread AFTER purchasing the Arisaka wedge yesterday. I have a Nightforce NX8 I need to level on my Scar using a ADM Recon mount. I realized last night that the Arisaka probably won’t work/fit between the scope and the flat surface of the ADM mount. Back to the drawing board.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I level the rifle then using a flashlight through the objective I line the reticle up on a plumb Bob on the wall.

And here I thought I was the only one who did that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I realized last night that the Arisaka probably won’t work/fit between the scope and the flat surface of the ADM mount. Back to the drawing board.

Fitting the wedge into a small space can sometimes be a problem. Although requiring some fiddling with things, I have managed by just using whatever small section of the wedge fits.
Or one could use the stack of business cards method.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions, thanks.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I like to use a plumb line:

• Set up plumb line, far enough away to see through scope
  • Align plumb line with vertical line of reticle
  • Look through bore (with bolt removed), confirm the plumb line is vertical through center of bore

The level of accuracy depends on how well you can "eyeball" the centering of the plumb line through the bore, but I believe this is the most direct way to align the reticle to the bore.

I'll also use a bubble level (Wheeler), but I'm not always confident of the horizontal-ness of the surfaces that the bubble level is mounted on. I always look through the bore (on bolt actions) for a sanity check.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently mounted a new Kahles 624i on my 6.5 CM Savage. I used a precision .125 plate and a .004 feeler gage to level the scope to the rail, could not get .005 in it. Shot at a local match and was hitting consistently at 900, 1000 and 1214 yds. I think its good!

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by cigardad:
+1 for the Arisaka.

Yep, Love the Arisaka.

Same

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Put up a target, using level.
Rifle on bench in a rest using a level.

Line up crosshairs to target

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post