SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Israeli double barrel AR UPDATED 12 Dec 2021
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Israeli double barrel AR UPDATED 12 Dec 2021 Login/Join 
posted
The link has some photos.

https://warisboring.com/the-do...Early%20Bird%20Brief

The Double-Barrel Battle Rifle Has Been Done Before
It didn't work out

June 25, 2018 Robert Beckhusen

The Israeli company Silver Shadow recently attracted attention for its double-barreled AR-type rifle, the Gilboa DBR Snake. For the most part, it’s an AR, uses AR parts and fires the 5.56-millimeter AR round. Except that it has two separate barrels, two magazines and two ejection ports — with two triggers as if two AR rifles had smashed into each other.

The two triggers are to make the Snake legal for civilian use in the United States, as We Are the Mighty‘s Blake Stilwell noted, citing ATF regulations for machine guns. But it’s easy enough to pull both, firing two rounds at once.

It’s the civilian market, primarily in America, where this gun should find buyers. Military customers are highly unlikely to view this rifle as very practical.

But let’s back up for a moment. The U.S. military has studied double-barreled semi-automatic rifles for potential combat use before. The Pentagon’s Project Salvo, which began in 1951, aimed to produce a next-generation infantry rifle suitable for modern warfare while embodying the lessons of World War II.

One of these lessons is the importance of what the military calls “fire superiority” — shooting more bullets at the enemy, accurately, than he is shooting back at you. If you have fire superiority, the sheer volume of fire limits an enemy’s room to maneuver, pinning them down and making them easier to attack on their exposed flanks. Heavy fire can also inflict casualties through shrapnel and ricochet.

Ultimately, Project Salvo led to the AR series of rifles and its first military adaptation, the selective-fire M-16, with semi-automatic, three-round burst and fully-automatic modes.

There were several far-flung concepts put into development testing as part of Project Salvo. There was a flechette-firing shotgun — never adopted — designed to shred enemy soldiers with dozens of darts. Project Salvo also involved experiments with double-barreled rifles including the 5.56-millimeter Winchester Salvo, produced in 1957.

The Winchester Salvo, like the modern Snake, has two ejection ports with one on each side of the receiver. (That’s a lot of flying brass.) There are two magazines, and the rifle’s unloaded weight comes to 11.8 pounds. It’s difficult to compare the weight to a modern AR rifle given the wide variety of variants and their accessories, but the Salvo is a few pounds heavier than an “average” AR.

The G3, a heavy NATO battle rifle from the Cold War, weighs nine pounds — about as much as a Gilboa DBR Snake. That makes the Snake a bit on the heavy side, but not unreasonable.

One problem with the Winchester Salvo came with its 5.56-millimeter cartridge — an unusual and experimental duplex cartridge which carried two bullets, one behind the other, for four total bullets firing every time the shooter pulled the trigger. This added recoil — too much of it.

The Snake doesn’t use duplex ammunition, but it faces a same basic questions of efficiency, weight and waste. Ammunition adds weight, yet two bullets traveling side-by-side are still traveling toward the same target. The enemy will likely not know the difference from a standard, single-barrel AR as the rounds snap around them.

The result is twice the ammunition, and cost, for a similar suppressive effect. Better to have a lightweight rifle — with a single barrel. And if soldiers need extra firepower, they can always flip the selector switch to a three-round burst.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
This ranks up there with the dumbest firearms 'innovations' that I have ever seen.

Wildly impractical and it accomplishes..... what exactly?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
This ranks up there with the dumbest firearms 'innovations' that I have ever seen.

Well, it's a handy long gun for the guy who owns Arsenal's double barrel 1911. Doh!

Posts: 7851 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm holding out and waiting on the tri-barrel version.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Sorry, I'm holding out and waiting on the tri-barrel version.

Why limit yourself...go for the quad! Big Grin Cool Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I guess they looked at the goofy double 1911 and, unlike everybody else on earth, thought "what a great idea!"

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Say what you will, but if the double pistol and double AR work then Silver Shadow has established a reputation for pulling off some wild-assed engineering. Then again, I'm not sure who'd hire them to do engineering work for visually brilliant but largely impractical guns. Chiappa, perhaps?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

One side jams, you just keep shooting. Big Grin

Posts: 21051 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s the civilian market, primarily in America, where this gun should find buyers.

Roll Eyes

An ass for every seat I guess, but just - wow, really? - people buy this shit?

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
It’s the civilian market, primarily in America, where this gun should find buyers.

Roll Eyes

Heck yeah! 'Merica!

...bump stocks, binary triggers and on and on...

I'm glad I've spent my life in the Army. I've shot plenty of FA weapons and blown up lots of shiznizzle so I'm not tempted to buy any of this stuff.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just built it to piss Joe Biden off.

"Get a double barrel"

Posts: 12566 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

People who know very little about using firearms beyond what they think 'looks cool'.

My cousin was talking about these rifles.

I tried to gently dissuade him.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
For those who claim they cannot hit the broad side of the barn, no more excuses. Razz

Q

Posts: 26196 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link has two photos.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...machine-gun-25674958

SAS using new machine gun that fires two bullets together and targets 'drop like flies'

The Gilboa Snake blasts out two bullets at a time and has been used by the SAS in Afghanistan and Syria combat zones. It's laser gives soldiers an accurate range at 800m.

ByLeonie Chao-Fong
21:10, 11 Dec 2021

The SAS has a new twin barrel machine gun that fires 1,000 shots per minute and two bullets at a time making targets “drop like flies”.

The Gilboa Snake more than doubles the chance of a “combat kill” when used fighting insurgents in unstable countries like Afghanistan where the Taliban recently overthrew the Government and in Syrian where a civil war continues.

The rifle, developed by the Israeli company Silver Shadow and Gilboa USA, even fires if it jams, reports the Daily Star.

An Army source told the Daily Star: “The great thing about the weapon is that if one side of it jams the other will still fire – and every time you pull the trigger you are hitting the target with a double burst.”

The special forces must be well-equipped in combat zones - soldiers have previously told of testing encounters like being forced into a hand-to-hand combat when their weaponry fails.

The rifle even fires when it jams so troops aren't left 'naked' in conflict
So far the rifle has given SAS troops the upper hand with two British soldiers striking up to 12 Islamic State insurgents in under a minute in northern Syria this year.

The source added: “The troops opened fire on a group of men loading explosives into a car. The six-man SAS team opened up but most of the fire came from two guys armed with the Gilboa.

“The two soldiers fired burst after burst and the insurgents dropped like flies – the weapon really is a force multiplier.”

SAS soldiers are confronted with a myriad of challenges overseas. British troops - also operating alongside Jordanian special forces battling IS in Libya - must survive insurgents using the likes of missiles, suicide bombers and mortars, the Middle East Eye reports.

For a more accurate aim, the rifle can be fitted with lasers enabling it to have an effective range at around 800m. Shots fired at a range of 100m in a 20-round burst can accurately hit a target.

One of the downsides of the rifle is that it can burn through ammunition quickly increasing the cost of its usage.

However, it has already become widely used within the SAS.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
...bump stocks, binary triggers and on and on....

Yeah. If you’d buy that stuff, why not a double barreled semiauto?
Would it be safer against a new ATF prohibition or would the rationale be, “Yes, it requires two triggers to fire two shots, but it’s only one pull with your finger, so that makes it a machine gun”? And never mind if two barrels and two triggers haven’t been banned before; it’s never too late to change their mind.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My lgs had one of those, one of the guys there decided to stick every tacticool cringy accessory they could find on it and it sold within an hour.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For CQB maybe the juice is worth the squeeze in weight. Short duration mission and each accurate shot gets double the terminal effect, a controlled pair 4x wound channels.

For suppressive fire no, an open bolt belt-fed is what you always want for that.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

You've clearly underestimated the stupidity of the American gun consumers Wink

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Gilboa DBR Snake:

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Pairs well with a COP .357 I imagine.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post