SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Cycles, but no cock, what's wrong? - fixed!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Cycles, but no cock, what's wrong? - fixed! Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm in with a disconnect\hammer hook issue because if the rifle cycles the BCG and chambers a fresh round then the level of filth isn't keeping the hammer from being fully retracted. Something is keeping it from staying back. Check the trigger and hammer pins as well. Any side to side movement of the hammer or disconnect can keep the parts from mating up correctly.

Edited for spelling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to my Anderson AR. There was a burr somewhere in the hammer/disconnector and when I couldn't find it I replaced the whole assembly with a LPK I had lying around; that solved the issue.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, how did it go? Get it sorted out?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
OP, how did it go? Get it sorted out?
I did the upper lube, and took a good look at the lower parts as well, and had an AR smith take a casual look at it. He found nothing out or sorts. Have yet to function test at the range, though. I will report when I get the time to do so.

Thanks everyone for your participation in this thread.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
After the last post, a range visit showed no change.

As hugely-delayed follow-up (sorry). I finally got motivated to replace the disconnecter spring and found that the old one was about a 1/16"" shorter than a new one. I will report again after the next range trip, nut I am very hopeful BTW, I also was told that the grease I was using is less-than-favorably-regarded by some in the community. and I am now looking for a sperm whale to harvest (j/k).

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Latest update, range visit after disconnector spring replacement == no change. I will now install a fresh new LPK, and report back.

posted Hide Post
Are the gas rings lined up? (They shouldn't be.) Is there a broken gas ring? Try a different recoil spring. Except for the gas rings being lined up, I've had similar malfunctions with the other two, a broken gas ring and a defective recoil spring.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Had this same issue with my last AR. It was the buffer tube. I sent it back to PSA and they put a new tube on it and it's been flawless since.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I also was told that the grease I was using is less-than-favorably-regarded by some in the community. and I am now looking for a sperm whale to harvest (j/k).

Nothing wrong w/ TW-25B, in fact it's a great lubricant, and I've used it in all of my SIG's (and HK's) since 1994. That said, it does have a tendency to separate, even more so than most other greases in my experience. Sooo, if the gun has been sitting for a while, it may not be grease anymore, requiring a wipe and relube with some fresh TW-25B. Just Sayin... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8762 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
I also was told that the grease I was using is less-than-favorably-regarded by some in the community. and I am now looking for a sperm whale to harvest (j/k).

Nothing wrong w/ TW-25B, in fact it's a great lubricant, and I've used it in all of my SIG's (and HK's) since 1994. That said, it does have a tendency to separate, even more so than most other greases in my experience. Sooo, if the gun has been sitting for a while, it may not be grease anymore, requiring a wipe and relube with some fresh TW-25B. Just Sayin... Wink

I'll second this. TW25b is a widely used grease and I use it on my personal AR's without issue. It's also pretty popular with the military and I never saw any lube related issues with M16\M4 rifles.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:
Are the gas rings lined up? (They shouldn't be.) Is there a broken gas ring? Try a different recoil spring. Except for the gas rings being lined up, I've had similar malfunctions with the other two, a broken gas ring and a defective recoil spring.

rambo

Lining the gas rings up has no impact on function. This is internet lore that needs to die. The gun will run with them lined up, they'll be out of alignment after one round. The gun will run with only one ring.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:

rambo

Lining the gas rings up has no impact on function. This is internet lore that needs to die. The gun will run with them lined up, they'll be out of alignment after one round. The gun will run with only one ring.

truth here,

when I shot Service Rifle I, as a habit, replaced my Gas Rings every year, just cause I felt it was a good thing to do,

forgot one year,, and the next when I detailed stripped the gun, the rings were well worn, to the point they were basically round slivers, with a very large gap,

rifle functioned flawlessly

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I used TW25B on my ARs for a while a few years ago. I'm aware of all the arguments for it. I have to say I don't get the allure. I moved on from that, to FP-10 and ultimately settled on the Slip 2000 line, including EWL and EWG and I couldn't be happier.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Following up on a thread that threatens to go necro....

OK, the issue is fixed. Put in a new trigger parts group, not a "premium" part, but one that promised a little better trigger pull than "mil-spec." It did that, as far as I can tell, I am not a trigger snob, but the bottom line is that now it is cocking after cycling and I have a semi-auto again rather than an awkward-to-use single-shot AR.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it was a tolerance stacking issue. Glad you got it figured out.

quote:

OK, the issue is fixed. Put in a new trigger parts group, not a "premium" part, but one that promised a little better trigger pull than "mil-spec." It did that, as far as I can tell, I am not a trigger snob, but the bottom line is that now it is cocking after cycling and I have a semi-auto again rather than an awkward-to-use single-shot AR.

Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had the exact same problem with my son’s AR9. Ended up with the same solution. Clean, lube, replace the trigger parts. Worked great the last match we shot.

Posts: 1691 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post