SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a budget optic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a budget optic Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
I have a 20" 308 AR that currently has a 3-9 redfield scope. I would to upgrade to something with first focal plane, illuminated reticle and 6-24(ish) magnification. I've not decided on reticle type yet.

I would like to keep it 700 or less. I've been looking at the anthlon and Sig tango 4.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a Athlon 6-24x50 on one of my ARs. Had it on for right at 4 years. No issues and been hitting plates @ 300 & 500 yards with it. Held zero just fine in a Aero Precision mount.

Athlon 6-24x50 = sub $300

EDIT to add. I forgot until now. Rifle took a dive off the shooting bench and landed scope down on the optic. Rifle started shooting in a shotgun pattern after that. I sent optic back to them. They replaced it with a more expensive Gen2 version. Was about 7 days from door to door with the replacement in hand.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id see if you can find one of the closeout Nikon FX1000 scopes, should be under your budget but performs at double its price.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle in that range, but haven't got to shoot with it yet.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
I recently purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle in that range, but haven't got to shoot with it yet.

I'm not interested in Vortex. I've heard too many stories about broken scopes.

I also can't dealer pricing on Vortex like I can on Sig and athlon Big Grin

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
How about the Bushnell tactical scope line

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Ill have to check that out.

Bushnell has an outlet store here in Kansas City and I've heard they have really good deals there.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Ill have to check that out.

Bushnell has an outlet store here in Kansas City and I've heard they have really good deals there.

I think you will be impressed, especially for the money. Keep us posted and report back on what you find there. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post