SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun - UPDATE: bought it, but still have questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun - UPDATE: bought it, but still have questions Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
In the market for a home defense shotgun soon and ran across this: https://www.basspro.com/shop/e...-pump-action-shotgun It is just a little more than the Winchesters, Mossbergs and Remingtons. (Not really interested in "off-brand" guns, some of whose makers I can't even pronounce.) Not sure if I really need rifle sights, as the ranges it would be used - if used at all - would be ~15 to 50 feet. I'm more interested in its quality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I ended up going for a Mossberg 590 but this Benelli was a close second. From what I remember in my research it is a quality pump for the $

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SuperNova tactical as my HD shotgun, don't think there is much difference. It has a fairly long LOP and with my medium size hands I really have to stretch out my finger to reach the safety. Otherwise, no problems. There is not as much aftermarket support for Benelli as there is for Remington or Mossberg, but with a bit of effort you can find most anything you want. I put a sidesaddle/top rail from Mesa Tactical on mine and then a red dot sight. It is a heavy bastard but I am certain it will clear a room if needed. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have the pistol grip Supernova. Built like a tank, but also heavy as one. Feels about 2-3 lbs heavier than my Old Mossberg 500 18”. The Nova/Supernova have somewhat tight chambers- no issue with most shells but some of the cheaper steel based birdshot shells would stick a bit when the gun was hot, and it would take a little more force to eject- never had one get fully stuck however. Id put the quality above any US made tactical shotgun like Mossberg/Winchester/Remington.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a SuperNova I've been meaning to get rid of for ages because I just don't use it and have many semi auto Benelli's. But shipping costs being what they are now, I don't want to sell it online. Plus at that price you linked to, you might as well grab the Nova and put a short +2 tube on it (if at all).

I used mine for shotgun and multi gun matches for a few years. never any issues. Odd looking, "fat" in the receiver and not smooth as an old Wingmaster, but solid reliable guns. Large loading port, easy to load.

Note that the Nova has a fixed integral stock, so there's no changing it. Factory replacement barrels are nuts, but Carlson's sells barrels made by Huglu at reasonable costs. I have one on my SN because I wanted removable chokes.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Nova Tactical with the 18” barrel that I have had it for 20 years. Never an issue but it only goes to the range about one a year. I added a Nordic Tube Extension, barrel clamp, and a light rail and it is my go to home defense shotgun. My P226 is in the night stand and this shotgun in 10 feet away loaded with 8+1 rounds of PDX ammo.

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a die hard 870 fan. Until I shot the Supernova. Its forearm magazine cutoff system is a big plus, IMHO. Great gun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
forearm magazine cutoff system
?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's a button in the middle of the forend, if your press it and rack the action, the shell will eject from the chamber, but NOT feed a round from the magazine. Theoretically good if you wanted to change quick from say buckshot to a slug.
I think realistically it's more useful for just wanting to unload the gun (chamber) but not the mag. Honestly never used it in the 12-14(?) years I've had mine.

Fear not, it's not something you will activate accidentally.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The magazine cutoff system is something very useful for upland hunting when moving fields. I could see a use defensively if one wanted to quickly switch over to a slug. We have a few Novas that are used in the field that work very well. I would have no problem selecting the tactical for home defense.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Note that the Nova has a fixed integral stock, so there's no changing it.

CAS - I never realized or even thought about this until I read your post. Thank you for posting this as I was considering a full stock with a pistol grip for my Nova (not the Super-Nova) like I have on my Benelli M2 but that is a no-go now. Only way to accomplish this now is to purchase a Super Nova (will have to consider for a future purchase).

Thanks for posting this detail that I never realized having owned this shotgun for 20 years…

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a button in the middle of the forend, if your press it and rack the action, the shell will eject from the chamber, but NOT feed a round from the magazine. Theoretically good if you wanted to change quick from say buckshot to a slug.
I think realistically it's more useful for just wanting to unload the gun (chamber) but not the mag. Honestly never used it in the 12-14(?) years I've had mine.

So it won't prevent the action from being racked?

posted Hide Post
I have a lot of rounds down in a SuperNova Tactical, can't complain at all. Love the ghost ring sights, they are a must in a shotgun for me.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

So it won't prevent the action from being racked?

Correct - You do have to push the receiver release button on the side of the trigger guard just like you would if you wanted to cycle the action to remove the chambered shell but by pushing this button just before you push the receiver release button, it prevents the next round from releasing from the feed tube into the open receiver.

If you will fast forward to exactly 10:00 minutes in the you tube video below - this guy provides a great summary of this feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSXubcKPi1k

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hope there are any left after all this. Razz

quote:
receiver release button on the side of the trigger guard
Still unclear if this locks the action. Does it have to be held down/pushed in all the time to allow the action to be cycled, or can it be engaged or disengaged at will?

If this were $100 more than the others, I wouldn't be asking about it, but $30 more gets my attention.

posted Hide Post
Back in 2018, I attended the Benelli Shotgun Armorers Course and one of the shotguns I got to play with was the Nova series.

I think it is a well made gun, durable, easy handling and priced reasonably.

During class we were told that the VA State Police had just adopted the NOVA series, and I know at one time the Georgia State Police carried/issued them.

I just read on the Firearms Blog that:

Beretta Defense recently announced that the whole Armed Forces of France have adopted the Benelli Supernova 12 guage shotgun in several configurations, making the Supernova the standard issue shotgun of the French military. Benelli will have a seven-year contract to produce the Supernova shotguns, with a contracted cost of €4,500,000. The convertible Benelli M3 (capable of both pump-action and semi-auto) shotgun is already in use in special French Army units, but the Benelli Supernova had to go through its own testing process, which was reportedly “severe,” but undisclosed at this time. Christophe Bannier, Director of military and law enforcement sales for Beretta Defense is quoted below.

I am more of a Mossberg person even though I have carried Remington 870s for most of my career.

I will be honest though, I have been tempted (numerous times) to buy one ever since I attended that course. Once I get my money situation somewhat resolved, I am thinking about getting one.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I think the Benelli SuperNova is the best pump shotgun being made right now.
If you can find an H20 model I would scoop it up as the barrels are still finished with matte electroless nickel which not many folks are doing any more.
Not even the M4s as they are Titanium Cerakote now.

I have been putting off getting one since I have an 870 and 500 but I should really pick one up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as pumping goes I have always preferred the Nova over the Super Nova, try both before purchasing to make sure you get the one that you prefer. The low slick loading port works well for old school weak hand loaders, as well those that load 2 or quad loaders. The Nova is by far the best pump action shotgun for three gun, or any shotgun sport the requires a pump action. Mine does not see much use if any anymore with the death of the old school heavy metal 3 gun division, but I would not want to part with it.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I hope there are any left after all this. Razz

quote:
receiver release button on the side of the trigger guard
Still unclear if this locks the action. Does it have to be held down/pushed in all the time to allow the action to be cycled, or can it be engaged or disengaged at will?

If this were $100 more than the others, I wouldn't be asking about it, but $30 more gets my attention.

Two separate things. the mag cutoff prevents a round from being loaded from the mag if it is pressed and the action cycled. The receiver release button allows you to cycle the action without pulling the trigger.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
I've had a Super Nova tactical since 2016 and the only issue I've had was a broken bolt latch (apparently there was a bad batch of them and mine had one). Unfortunately, it took months to get a replacement from Benelli but they gave me one for free.

If you go with the Super Nova, my opinion is that the Comfortech stock is better than the pistol grip as it just fits me better. YMMV. Buy the version you intend to keep as conversion between the two is not as straightforward as it looks and parts are expensive.

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post