SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun - UPDATE: bought it, but still have questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun - UPDATE: bought it, but still have questions Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of the plastic furniture on these, especially the fore end compared to the Mossberg 500/590. I also like the fore end release better on the Mossberg. The Mossberg 590 can be had for less than $300 and that would be my choice.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
I'm not a big fan of the plastic furniture on these, especially the fore end compared to the Mossberg 500/590. I also like the fore end release better on the Mossberg. The Mossberg 590 can be had for less than $300 and that would be my choice.

If you could point me in the direction of a sub $300 590 that would be appreciated.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The excuse I told myself when I bought my SuperNova was I'd never owned a pistol grip stock shotgun, so that's why I bought it. I used it that way a couple years and a whole bunch of matches and concluded there were no up sides, but a couple down sides.

(It was actually in my search for another SuperNova with a standard stock and vent barrel that I stumbled onto my first M2 on sale cheap)

I eventually found a used Comfortech stock at a decent price, put IT on the M2, put the M2 stock on the SuperNova and found it much more handy.

Many years and many Benelli's later, I bought a PD trade in M2 with a pistol grip stock. Swapped them, the SuperNova has come full circle with the PG stock again, waiting for it's new home.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If you could point me in the direction of a sub $300 590 that would be appreciated.

Here you go.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/949049118

Shipping puts it at $305. The seller has multiple Mossberg 500/590s ending each day and I've seen several go for less than $300. I've bought multiple items from this seller, including NIB M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm's for around $350

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Here you go.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/949049118

Shipping puts it at $305. The seller has multiple Mossberg 500/590s ending each day and I've seen several go for less than $300. I've bought multiple items from this seller, including NIB M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm's for around $350

Thank you!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I bought it. But I'm still not clear on the function of the action release lever. The manual suggests that it disengages and frees up the action upon firing, but I don't see how that works, nor do I see the purpose of it in the first place. Also, they put a restrictor plug in the magazine limiting it to two shells (supposed to hold 4x 2¾" plus one up the spout) because of waterfowl hunting regulations. So now I have to bring a circlip plier home from work and take the spring and plug out of the mag. You don't use a shotgun like this for bird hunting, for Christ's sake. Roll Eyes They could just as well have given me the plug for me to put in.

I do like the way it shoulders and points, the overall quality, and I'm liking the sights. The rear has a large aperture with white dots flanking it, and the front also has a white dot with protective "ears" on either side.

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
With the chamber and magazine loaded if you push the button on the underneath of the pump, you can unload the chambered shell without it pulling another shell from the magazine. It could be used for switching from buck to a slug without having to unload the entire gun first. Just drop the new shell in the empty chamber and slide the pump forward. The next time you pump it will take the next round out of the magazine unless you press the button again.

Posts: 2934 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I bought it. But I'm still not clear on the function of the action release lever. The manual suggests that it disengages and frees up the action upon firing, but I don't see how that works, nor do I see the purpose of it in the first place. Also, they put a restrictor plug in the magazine limiting it to two shells (supposed to hold 4x 2¾" plus one up the spout) because of waterfowl hunting regulations. So now I have to bring a circlip plier home from work and take the spring and plug out of the mag. You don't use a shotgun like this for bird hunting, for Christ's sake. Roll Eyes They could just as well have given me the plug for me to put in.

I do like the way it shoulders and points, the overall quality, and I'm liking the sights. The rear has a large aperture with white dots flanking it, and the front also has a white dot with protective "ears" on either side.

What? Pliers? Good god no!
Unlock the action about half way. unscrew the top magazine cap and pull out the magazine spring along with the wooden(plastic?) dowel that limits it to 2 shots.

Heres a YT link for the shell stop button- about 2 min in
https://youtu.be/PwTykpYORhY

This message has been edited. Last edited by: medic451,

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The magazine end cap doesn't hold the spring in all by itself. There is a snap ring underneath it. The manual says specifically to use a needle-nose or snap ring plier to remove it. I didn't have a needle-nose thin enough (few are, actually) at home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The magazine end cap doesn't hold the spring in all by itself. There is a snap ring underneath it. The manual says specifically to use a needle-nose or snap ring plier to remove it. I didn't have a needle-nose thin enough (few are, actually) at home.

I understand now, I removed that when I installed the +2 extension many years ago.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't remember what's in them. If it's just a dowel and O-rings, you can shake it out. Some Benelli's come with plastic plugs that are too large to shake out. I also have an anodized aluminum one, but it's been too many years to recall what came with what.

So yes, hog ring pliers if you want to save it. Or you can pry it out if not.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
There's a button in the middle of the forend, if your press it and rack the action, the shell will eject from the chamber, but NOT feed a round from the magazine. Theoretically good if you wanted to change quick from say buckshot to a slug.
I think realistically it's more useful for just wanting to unload the gun (chamber) but not the mag. Honestly never used it in the 12-14(?) years I've had mine.

Fear not, it's not something you will activate accidentally.

I learned something from this thread...

I bought my Super Nova about 12-15 years ago. Used and I didn't get a manual with it. I thought that "button" was just some type of decorative thing.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post