SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Built The Dissipator. EDIT: FINISHED!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Built The Dissipator. EDIT: FINISHED! Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I bought a complete H&R retro M16A1 lower. It wasn't cheap, but more reasonable than I expected.

I got the A3 Dissy upper from PSA, I planned on changing the upper and handguards. It has a mid length gas system to make it reliable. It's low profile and hidden really well.

Had handguards laying around and popped them on to see what it was going to look like.

The front sight pins were driven in by the Hulk. I opted to drive the gas tube pin out and slide the gas block forward then ease the tube out of the receiver.

The barrel was also tightened by the Hulk and I had to put a three foot tube on the wrench to remove the barrel nut. Swapping the receiver was a piece of cake and torquing back was no problem. Had to install the rear sight from a parts kit and the dust cover was also a kit.

I know it's black, but that will change soon.

A three prong flash hider is still on the way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
That’s sexy.

Posts: 850 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a very nice rifle.
I also have a dissipater that I built. It is a fun rifle, and very quick to use. I really like the A1 sights and stock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have an affection for the Vietnam era rifles.

This is easier to sneak down the hall with than my rifle, but gets better control than my carbine. However, the carbine weighs about a pound less with its pencil barrel.

I might have to look into getting an SBR stamp and building me an XM177.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. I like it.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 517 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the dissipator and that one is /sweet/! (I also have one on the WTS!)

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I pulled the Brownells upper and ordered the H&R blank and transferred everything over and installed the three prong flash hider.

I am very happy with it now.

I have a Colt M16A1 charging handle and BCG on the way from a friend.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Turned out nice! Sadly Brownells won’t ship parts to my state, so mine will take longer.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Only the rear sight is Brownells.

Everything else came from PSA.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of a dissi. That thing is a beauty. Love the triangle handguard.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Very nice, always thought about doing the same but never got around to it.
Congrats. Cool

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Very nice I also like the 605 the only thing is you must pin and weld the flash hider.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
Very nice I also like the 605 the only thing is you must pin and weld the flash hider.

You can get a new one from H&R.

The only thing they don't build is the Dissipator.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...1-12-twist-gray.html

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Colt Model 605, developed in 1965. Here shown as pictured on page 654 of W.H.B. Smiths Small Arms of the World, a book I checked out countless times from the library when I was a kid.

Identified in the book as the '5.56mm CAR-15 Carbine'. No forward assist, and slickside chromed carrier.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I found it in either configuration. Must have been what year they were manufactured.

Looks like I need to shave the bayonet lug, or source a neutered one off a post ban rifle.

Looks like the California Highway Patrol had some custom made by Colt in 2002 as a patrol rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
That’s hot ! The A1 grip is a nice touch. Congrats on a cool build.

I have a 90’s bushmaster dissy upper I like. Visually looks best on a fixed stock lower

The CHP dissipator can famously be seen if you Google photos of the Hollywood bank robbery. They traded them for Sig rifles. They were sold through CDNN cheap. I saw just an upper sell a year or 2 ago for almost 2k.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
The 605 had a 15inch barrel so with the A1 flash hider pinned and welded you are good.The bcg is getting hard to find.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The CHP dissipator can famously be seen if you Google photos of the Hollywood bank robbery.

The Hollywood bank robbery was 1997, about 5 years before CHP got their Colt 6536 "Dissipators".

They then traded them in 2013, with a number of them being then resold to the private market in 2014ish.

So 2002-2013 is when you would have seen these in use by CHP.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
here is a 605 I did a long time ago. It has the right BCG and charging handle. One day I will find the exact lower and the controls that are still wrong.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
One day I will find the exact lower and the controls that are still wrong.

Well, here's what yer lookin for.

Gray

https://palmettostatearmory.co...r-receiver-gray.html

Black

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-receiver-black.html

Now you gots no excuse. Smile

Eeewwww, don't touch it!