SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you attach your sling on the right (or left) side of the stock like this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you attach your sling on the right (or left) side of the stock like this? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
The below picture is from Magpul, but the way the rear of the sling is attached to the stock, on the side away from the body, wasn’t the usual method at one time. In my recollection, and even today, putting the sling attachment point on the body side is/was more common.

A few years ago I ran across it in a YouTube video as a recommended way of keeping the stock closer to one’s body when carrying the rifle muzzle down, and after trying it and liking it, that’s the way I adopted.

In recent times, though, I’ve seen the pictured method being used much more commonly, and I’m curious how popular it really is.

Question:
If your stock and sling permit it, do you attach the sling like that?

Choices:
Yes.
No.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
The reason for this is that when you transition to opposite shoulder, you have more play in the sling and don't wind up choking yourself so much.

Posts: 274 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I voted yes for the reason outlined in the OP and 4sigman's comment.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Yes I sling up in that way. The sling is less likely to pinch or get caught.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of the few people who still use a single point sling.
I know, it'll break my balls when I run. Just what I'm used to and if I go at good pace, the rifle is in my hands.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Common for AK guys with folding stocks.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Left side.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Same as the picture, seems counter intuitive but it’s the best way.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Left side, with attachment point close to my body -- works best for me with extendable AR stocks, with precision AR stocks, and with precision bolt action stocks.

In competition we might carry rifles and packs for many hours and for many miles each day. Sometimes over rough terrain. Sometimes while jogging. Often shooting from multiple positions. I've tried the attachment point on the left side, right side, and bottom of the buttstock. Left side works best for me.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sigman:
The reason for this is that when you transition to opposite shoulder, you have more play in the sling and don't wind up choking yourself so much.

Same reason as to why I do it.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Yep. Same as OP.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used right side when I was primarily into low ready. Lately I have been more into high ready. Just a personal preference. Looking over the muzzle towards the threat seems more intuitive and faster to me than low ready. I moved my slings back to the left. Either side works as long as your slings are adjusted correctly.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Either side works as long as your slings are adjusted correctly.

Yep.

For those that are attaching it to the right side primarily to facilitate extra sling length for off-side shoulder transitions, an alternative option is using a quick-adjustable sling like a BFG VCAS. This allows you to quickly and easily add length to the sling when transitioning to the offside shoulder.

Or, just practice dropping your offside elbow out of the sling loop as part of your offside shoulder transition process (effectively resulting in the sling being looped just around your neck temporarily). This requires minimal adaptation, and is an quick way to free up quite a bit of sling real estate without having to replace your sling with a different one or alter your sling attachment point.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Only my two Ace stocks because the QD sockets are add on and external to the stock.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post