SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Questions on setting up a 3 gun AR.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on setting up a 3 gun AR. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have what I think is a mid level home built AR that I use for carbine matches and want to make it into a better three gun carbine. For those with more experience, mine is only local carbine matches at 25yrds or so at most. The bit I've played with it, it seems okay up to 200 on 12" plates.

Currently it is:
Spikes Upper and Lower
JP Low Mass Coated bolt and carrier
JP Silent Captured buffer assembly
JP adjustable gas block
ALG ACT Trigger
PSA lower kit, will be changed to CMMG or something
Magpul CTR stock and MOE grip
16" PSA midlength barrel, with A2 FH until a permanent barrel is decided, then a Surefire brake
ALG 13" hand guard
Leupold VX-5 1-5x24 Fire Dot scope with CDS in a Leupold MK cantilever

It shoots well enough, but I wonder if it'd be worth getting an 18" barrel with rifle gas?

Any suggestions for a better lower parts kit?
How about a lightish weight fixed or more solid stock?

I'm undecided on the 45* red dot or open sights. I'm currently shooting XM193 ball until I get my reloader setup, which will be a bit, and then I'll find a heavier bullet load.

Thanks!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with your lower parts.

18" barrel with rifle gas would be splitting a very fine hair compared to your 16" midlength with adj gas.

I have both setups. A 16" mid with adj gas and an 18" rifle with adj gas. Don't worry about it. The difference is not enough to worry about. Shoot that barrel until it is shot out, unless it doesn't meet your accuracy criteria.

How does it group? 2 MOA is plenty good enough for 3 gun especially if you are getting it with bulk 55gr ammo.

You could lighten up your stock but then you may wind up with a muzzle heavy gun. A balanced rifle, light or heavy, is more important than a light rifle that doesn't balance well.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I am very partial to Magpul UBR stocks. The Gen1, not the Gen2. I was very disappointed the first time I handled a Gen2. Feels cheap.

But I prefer a slightly heavier rifle. The UBR locks up very solid. You could consider that. A lot of guys are using the LuthAR stock. If I were going to go that route I would buy a TacMod and give my money to the guy who developed that style of stock.

I bought a pair of offset sights. Meh, with a good optic like you have, they will rarely be useful. 45 degree red dot will put you in open. Nothing wrong with that but you will be competing against full on race guns all across the board. I would recommend against it.

A muzzle brake will definitely change how your rifle feels. For 3-gun, it is worthwhile. I have used JP brakes (excellent) and am currently using a Nordic corvette comp (excellent but out of production).

Snag yourself a JP comp, 2 or 3 port doesn't really matter.

Get a JP EZ trigger or a Hiperfire Hipertouch Elite. Both are an excellent single stage trigger.

Select a stock of your preference. That is very subjective. I like the UBR quite a bit but I have considered a TacMod for my 16" midlength.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

18" barrel with rifle gas would be splitting a very fine hair compared to your 16" midlength with adj gas.

Yep. Your rifle is fine. Your skills and techniques will matter more than PSA vs. CMMG lower parts, or 16" mid vs. 18" rifle.

Go practice.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Oh, practice is number one!

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but that Corvette brake couldn't hurt. That thing flat out works!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Yeah, but that Corvette brake couldn't hurt. That thing flat out works!

Bruce

They are unfortunately out of production but DSG Arms still has some old stock.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
For $50, I’ll give it a try. I was looking at the Cross Machine as it’s reputed to be a little less obnoxious, but I’ll try the Nordic Corvette first.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

that's what she said *badump-psh*

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
For $50, I’ll give it a try. I was looking at the Cross Machine as it’s reputed to be a little less obnoxious, but I’ll try the Nordic Corvette first.

I have used both. I have a barely fired Cross Machine. It is quieter. It doesn’t reduce recoil as much. If you find the Nordic obnoxious I will trade you straight across for my Cross Machine. It has maybe 30 rounds through it.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! The Nordic will be here tomorrow and I hope to try it this weekend.