SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Starting to get interested in a bullpup, any tips?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting to get interested in a bullpup, any tips? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I need to look into the X95 a bit more. So is that the Tavor pattern / generation of choice if one was to get a tavor?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I need to look into the X95 a bit more. So is that the Tavor pattern / generation of choice if one was to get a tavor?

If I didn't own an AUG, I'd buy an X95. I still might, but the AUG has long satisfied my needs.

The X95 is the Tavor to buy, if you're buying a Tavor. Better in all the ways that matter.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I've got AUGs, FS2000s and Tavors. If I were to pick one I would go with the AUG. It could be because I've had the AUGs the longest, but also they are just really an excellent design overall. I like how easy they break down for cleaning and can be carried in a large range bag with the receiver and barrel disassembled and the overall operation and handling characteristics.

I also like the Tavor and FS2000 but for me the AUG wins out.

I agree completely. Also, the AUG has the best spare parts support - barrels, small parts, bolt groups, etc. Expensive, but AUG parts have basically been continually available through Pete Athens since the 1980s. Steyr also offers a dedicated gas valve for suppressor use. If anyone says spare parts are not needed, try owning a FNC, Valmet, Daewoo K1 or K2, Holloway HAC7, etc and look for spare parts.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I own several and my Aug A3 with Acog is a favorite to shoot. Love that thing. The Acog feels like it was made for that gun. Low recoil and balances well.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owning a MSAR I dont exactly agree with all the negative out there.

Having a bull pup, I recommend shooting everything you can. Much of what I shoot is heavy barrel stuff for long distance accuracy. This exactly not what a bull pup does well. The front end is so light that holding steady for long (200 yds) range is almost impossible. So it is an interesting design and ideal for close quarters and all day carry

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Have had a Tavor for a few years now and it's never missed a beat - has shot everything from cheap Chinese surplus to various domestic factory rounds to handloads and it's ate anything and everything. No broken bits of any kind, all stock, it just flat out works.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
I've had the same results with my X95.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I would absolutely stay away from the MSARs and get a factory AUG if that platform is what you choose. The MSARs ran through a number of generations, and the early ones had issues and weren’t compatible with some AUG parts. Some run OK, some are problem children, but regardless if you find one, MSAR is out of business, so no chance of support or parts. Get an AUG made by Styer.

AUGs don’t suppress well. The gas port vents right to the atmosphere from the gas block, so they tend to be a little louder than other guns because that noise isn’t blocked. Also, they have a unique barrel threading, but that problem isn’t insurmountable.

When my can gets out of jail, I intend to run it on my RDB and X95, but have no desire to set my AUG A3 up for using a can.

I'm pretty sure it's Ratworx that makes a suppressor that captures the pressure vented from the gas block ... No first hand experience tho, only what I've seen on their site.

I suppress mine but I use a Ti30 can ... It's still supersonic so as long as that crack is there I don't worry about the gas block pop.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love my AUG. As others have said, the AUG comes with two stock options. The standard that takes the proprietary Steyr magazines. The "Nato" stock takes regular AR-15 magazines. That is the option I have. I did add some aftermarket parts. I got the longer rail to make it easier to mount an option and BUIS, the takedown that doubles as a QD sling swivel, and the longer charging handle that folds forward.

Photo Aug 04, 5 01 36 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Aug 04, 5 01 20 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

With original rail.

Photo Jul 28, 5 19 48 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

AND with Long rail.

Photo Aug 04, 5 01 05 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The X95 trigger is better than the original Tavor so at least get that. If you get the original Tavor, try to source an X95 trigger pack. Plenty out there when there was a sale on the Geisselle trigger. I have the Geisselle trigger pack and lightning bow trigger in my x95

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
M very interested in the desert tech. Waiting to see how they perform.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
M very interested in the desert tech. Waiting to see how they perform.

Ha ha. You need to read the threads over a Bullpup forum and ARF. Lost of continuing issues, many related to their funky forward firing ejection system. Lots of reports of jamming and failures to extract. They changed over their gas post from 3 position to a 6 position one, which doesn’t actually come with new rifles, but you can get one for free. Here’s a very recent review of one with the new 6 position gas plug.

https://youtu.be/DabLcqavXJ0

The CEO’s response to that video? What do you expect using “crap” ammo, plus other guns like the SCAR, MR762, LMT, etc. also have problems. Apparently all of the problems are caused by users not using the secret special sauce ammo that DT uses, although most of what they call “crap” ammo runs fine in other guns.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Tavor but was disappointed in accuracy; I got a real SBR, a Colt 9mm, and it has the short package and is more accurate to me anyway in my hand which is enjoyable to shoot; I have a separate integrally suppressed upper to switch out.

A Tavor is nice for quality w the short package and I like the package. I have not had a a MSAR or Aug.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tschiemer,

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I jumped on a local Aug and I'm quite smitten with it. I'm still interested in other designs but I love the Augs relatively simple design and solid parts. Its quite accurate to boot.

I shot it next to my 10.5 AR pistol which is the exact same length and noted the Aug is far more pleasant and easier to shoot due to the full stock and FAR less flash. All of the bullpup advantages are even more apparent in use.

I will need to work on learning the manual of arms. On the bright side its different but pretty intuitive.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer in the buy once,cry once category. If you are going to get an AUG, don't get a copy from a company that is no longer in business. I have learned my lesson in the past on a few guns that had proprietary parts and regret it. If you want to get an AUG,get a Steyr. I also had one of those years ago and man that thing was great. Much better than the clone, although he MSAR was a good build. I was apprehensive if anything broker on it(MSAR),as it would be a problem.

I bought a Tavor SAR,original model not the 95 and really like it a lot. I have taken it out on numerous occasions and it functions perfectly and I don't think the trigger is that bad. I do like the 95 version but didn't have the funds at the time to get one. They made a few refinements that improved on a great platform. After spending and losing money over the years, I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post