SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scoping a pre-64 model 70, what scope and rings?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoping a pre-64 model 70, what scope and rings? Login/Join 
posted
I recently purchased a 1956 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 and I'd like to put a scope on it. I don't plan on shooting at anything past 250 yards, and I'd like to have it at least look classic. I was thinking a 2-7 or 3-9, definitely don't want to hang a hubble telescope on it. What does the Sigforum braintrust recommend? Which rings would you pick? I generally like Talley products if that helps. Thanks in advance.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
https://pre64win.com/collections/scopes-mounts

Even though I was raised on Lyman Alaskans, I'd go with a 3-9 Leupold as minimum.

Recently I sent 2 scopes in to Leupold. Both had funky power turn rings. One came back repaired as new. The other was replaced with a new scope.
I usually use regular Weaver rings. They can be removed on the field and use the barrel sights, or even pop in a WJS peep if you set it all up correctly and have means to remove the rear base.

Nothing wrong with Talley

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a set of older style Redfield rotary dovetail type mounts, either one or two piece, with split rings. I think they are a little classier than the Weavers, but those are good too. For a scope, if you want a vintage look, an older steel tube Weaver K4 is a good choice, and pretty inexpensive too. Not up to the standards of a modern Leupold, etc. but still a decent scope. For a variable, an older Redfield 3-9 is a good choice.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would look at a used Leupold VxII 2-7x33. It is a great scope for around $200. Perfectly at home on your rifle. Some Leupold rings too. You would a have a perfectly outfitted rifle. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hell, I don't know. One of mine has a BalVar8,and its from maybe 1937. The other doesn't have a scope, its #202, and I'm not messing with it.

So how much and what kind of hunting do you plan on doing with it? I think it matters if you plan on shooting tree rats at 50' or deer at the 250 yards mentioned. Most of us over power our scopes. I do have a 4x20 on a non-winny and its too much scope. Are you planning on shooting at dusk or mid-day. Thick brush or open country? If you answer those questions, we can maybe give a better answer, or maybe not.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I was leaning towards a Leupold 2-7x33. I plan on really only shooting whitetail with it, maybe once a year, on my farm in VA. I won't stretch it out past 250, and generally don't shoot past 5:30pm, just too dark for me even with my Swarovski on my Sako. Definitely not a brush gun.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I live the look of the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20. I recently bought a VXII 1-4x20 which looks similar for a classic 7x57 Ruger.

If you're looking to keep it under 250, you should be fine with 5x.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60's, my Dad had a 3x9 Weaver on his Rem 700 .243. He liked that scope, but said if you have the money...get a Redfield. Just suggestions if you want to keep the time frame.

Audemus jura nostra defendere

Posts: 17 | Registered: October 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Leupold builds quality products period. I would not consider any less. You can spend more, but why?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post