SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Old MCX vs Virtus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old MCX vs Virtus Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
Im getting mixed signals on the “upgrades” the. Irrus is over the original (gen 1?) MCX. Im kind of looking longingly at an MCX Pistol in 300blk of i can find one for a decent price. Of course, im seeing the old ones at better prices than the virtus, which i am only seeing new and at MAP.

While Not discussing the overall opinion of sigs history with discontinuing support for rifle lines, what are current opinions from Sig MCX owners? Specifically the 9” 300 blk pistol option? Is the Virtus worth it to find a used one or go with the ar15 conversion upper?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am happy with my MCX Virtus. A full review here.

I am not, however, familiar with the old version and therefore can’t comment about any changes.

You are probably aware, but the brace is by SB; the factory brace folds to one side.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have an original MCX with both 5.56 and 300 BO barrels I have been extremely happy with. It is my favorite AR type rifle I own. I also have a Sig Rattler in 300 BO which I like quite a bit too. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I would tend towards a Virtus just because there will be more options/support to customize with handguards and such going forward.

I would also add that if I were to do it again, I probably would go with the 9" inch Virtus over the Rattler.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I dont recall ever seeing what specifically what they changed but I remember when they announced it the Virtus had upgraded parts that would go for 25K rounds. Having my barrel collar crack and fall off after 600 rounds, id say go Virtus.

If you decide to go that oruteh, shoot me a PM and i'll help you out.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Warpig - I'll send you an email. after some other research, I'm thinking of going another direction, but I'll ask you. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post