SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remove / Install muzzle device
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remove / Install muzzle device Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay. Installed my first muzzle device.

I officially hate crush washers and peel washers. Will forever more pay $9 for single shim I will use out of the shim kit IB recommended. I hate crush and peel washers.

Are we sure that that reaction rod won't damage the barrel extension lug where the reaction rod seats? I torqued pretty hard trying to get the crush and peel washers to work (>20 foot lbs).

In the end, I re-used the crush washer from the stock muzzle device (it was still in good shape) with one layer of the peel washer and torqued it down to about 20.

I tried using one new crush washer and I couldn't get the timing to be past 6:00 (if I need 12:00). And the it was stuck on good. I had to use a wrench (and scraped up the barrel cosmetically) to get the washer off.

Definitely recommend multi thickness shim kits from now on.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Took the AR to the range with the ALG SCB installed. Not sure how well it works but at least nothing bad happened Smile

Zero'ed the VX1 at 50 yards using some left over 223 (Independence?). I couldn't get it quite zero'ed the way I like it. I was shooting all over the place -- I think I could only manage 2MOA groups that weren't well centered. I actually thought may be I broke the scope when mounting it.

So I tried shooting at 25 yards, 10 rounds. Still about a 3-4MOA group. I group better with the 10/22. Just to test, I shot 20 rounds with the Aimpoint Pro as well. Looked similar.

So, I'm guessing it me, the rifle and/or the ammo. I'll take some good ammo next time. Mainly just wanted to test the brake today and make sure the AR works.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post