SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SBR question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBR question. Login/Join 
posted
I’m pretty sure I’m right about this, but just want to verify this with the rifle brain trust. I’m picking up a BCM AR upper. The original barrel was cut to 14 inches and a muzzle device that measures 2.25 inches was attached to it. As long as the device is pinned and welded into place, this is considered a legal rifle?

Posts: 380 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mike. If you want a true "barrel length", assuming it is actually pinned/welded, drop a dowel down the barrel with the bolt closed. Measure.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17314 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeputyCG:
I’m pretty sure I’m right about this, but just want to verify this with the rifle brain trust. I’m picking up a BCM AR upper. The original barrel was cut to 14 inches and a muzzle device that measures 2.25 inches was attached to it. As long as the device is pinned and welded into place, this is considered a legal rifle?

Depends. Is the 2.25” the total length of the muzzle device before being P&W, or does the muzzle device extend 2.25” beyond the end of the barrel? The muzzle threads have about 0.6” of overlap, so a muzzle device with a total unmounted length of 2.25” will only add 1.65” to the barrel length.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3343 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If you are worried, you could go with a longer muzzle device like a Surefire Warcomp or 3 Prong that comes in at 2.6 inches.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the bottom line is, the total barrel length (counting the P&W muzzle device) must be a minimum 16 inches in order to pass the non-NFA status.

Q

Posts: 26538 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be sure to verify it once it arrives. The Surefire WarComp looks nice. I may just get it anyway!

Thanks guys!

Posts: 380 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeputyCG:

It's going to depend on how deep the threads are on the muzzle device. I agree with the person who suggested dropping a dowel down the barrel with the bolt closed.

Posts: 14126 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If it's BCM then it's fine. All their uppers I've seen are actually 14.5". Not 14.
I have 2 and both are legally 16.2" and have been 100% reliable.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
If it's BCM then it's fine. All their uppers I've seen are actually 14.5". Not 14.
I have 2 and both are legally 16.2" and have been 100% reliable.

It sounds like the barrel may have originally been longer and was cut to 14".

Posts: 14126 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it has an extended flash hider on it at 2.25"
The 14.7" I have uses a regular A2 flash hider to bring it to 16.1" overall
Length of that one is 1.750", crush washer adds another .22"

Posts: 1483 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post