SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Took My son shooting today. I’m a Proud dad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took My son shooting today. I’m a Proud dad Login/Join 
posted
He will be 14 in a week. I told him with the cost of ammo these days mag dumps and blasting for the sake of blasting are over. 5 rounds in a mag and we will concentrate on fundamentals and groups. Because of the cross country move neither of us had been to the range in well over a year.

I said you choose the rifles. He picked the howa 223 ranch rifle and a bushmaster 16” 1/9 dissipator upper with GI carry handle and a fixed stock LMT lower. My gun club has steel plates set at the end of the range at 128 yards. And you can rent a paper target stand for any other distance you want. We reviewed breathing and sight picture and squeeze it not yanking on trigger. Within a few shots the Kid is banging steel at max distance with open sights with both 62 grain green tip and 55 grain FMJ bulk ammo. Standing and sitting. I was quite proud of him and impressed with the mixmaster home built rifle and low budget upper. I want him to be fully proficient with irons before getting hooked on optics

After a while we had place to ourselves and I said yeah go ahead and load up a few mags and we each did a 30 round mag dump. They are so satisfying.

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time! Good on you for teaching him irons and unsupported position shooting, too! My oldest turns 14 this month, and he's turning into quite the shooter. We've had some good times on the range together...costs me a fortune in ammo, but totally worth it!

Posts: 8526 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excellent outing.

Yeah, there is something satisfying about mag dumps.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Good on you for teaching him irons and unsupported position shooting, too!

Absolutely.
This old guy would go so far as to say that basic competence with both is part of being a well-rounded shooter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post