SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 1903-A3 Sport Back To Military Configuration
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1903-A3 Sport Back To Military Configuration Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I saw a 1903 in a LGS today, someone had put a Lyman peep sight on it and a hooded front sight globe on it...ruining its collectibility (screw holes in the receiver).

They still wanted $950 for it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I saw a 1903 in a LGS today, someone had put a Lyman peep sight on it and a hooded front sight globe on it...ruining its collectibility (screw holes in the receiver).

was it a NRA rifle ?

common conversion to use in NRA Match Rifle comps back in the day,

those lyman 48's can bring some good change (teh 57's not as much but still bring good money)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If it’s a nra rifle is it still worth 950???

I searched the internet and it’s not gonna be a NRA rifle. It’s one someone added Lyman sights and globe front sight to...nothing more. I remember the stacking swivel was stamped and it was a Smith corona and maybe was made in the 40s...I’ll go back on Monday and see for sure.

But I’m not handing over 950for a buggered up 1903

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My area NRA Rep back in New York got a Winchester 1903 in the early years of the Government sales for $12.00. Care to guess what that rifle is valued at today? Many of the 1903s were and still are used in competition. A skilled shooter can score quite well against the Garand, the AR and even those exotic bolt guns. The Lymans are standard of the industry for competition target. That 48 sight mentioned above is the most predominant. Just because the rifle wears Lymans does not mean it has been cobbled. Look it over good as they may well be installed correctly. Besides, the crude little sight blade on the muzzle of most 1903s is nothing to brag about when compared to better sights. In iron sights on long guns I've used for target shooting, there has never been anything better than target sights. Even the M1 sights are as close to target sights I've ever shot. There are many 1903s on thr market which bring more than $950.00.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Rogue, what is the little cloth canvas piece pictured with the bottom '03?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

was it a NRA rifle ?

common conversion to use in NRA Match Rifle comps back in the day,

those lyman 48's can bring some good change (teh 57's not as much but still bring good money)
Yes. Among the small things I still have are a old new Williams sight and a Lyman 48. The Lyman does not have a eye piece. I have a Palma as well. I think the eye piece from Williams does work on the Lyman. Factory Lyman eye piece can still be had new. The rest of the sight cant.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Rogue, what is the little cloth canvas piece pictured with the bottom '03?

It's a muzzle cover.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
SgtGold and RogueJSK - Thanks for confirming my link on the stripper clips. I might order some.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it’s a nra rifle is it still worth 950???

I searched the internet and it’s not gonna be a NRA rifle. It’s one someone added Lyman sights and globe front sight to...nothing more. I remember the stacking swivel was stamped and it was a Smith corona and maybe was made in the 40s...I’ll go back on Monday and see for sure.

But I’m not handing over 950for a buggered up 1903

sure,

I sold a similar rifle a couple years ago for $850, buyer was tickled to get it,

it was a 1903A3, OG stamped stock (refurb/rebuild/inspected) C stock, great park job, barrel gauged like new, 48 lyman and lyman 17a type front,
polished bolt,

probably not a NRA sales rifle, but set up by a guy sometime in the past to so Match rifle shooting,

not all are bubba'ed

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
My area NRA Rep back in New York got a Winchester 1903 in the early years of the Government sales for $12.00. Care to guess what that rifle is valued at today? Many of the 1903s were and still are used in competition. A skilled shooter can score quite well against the Garand, the AR and even those exotic bolt guns. The Lymans are standard of the industry for competition target. That 48 sight mentioned above is the most predominant. Just because the rifle wears Lymans does not mean it has been cobbled. Look it over good as they may well be installed correctly. Besides, the crude little sight blade on the muzzle of most 1903s is nothing to brag about when compared to better sights. In iron sights on long guns I've used for target shooting, there has never been anything better than target sights. Even the M1 sights are as close to target sights I've ever shot. There are many 1903s on thr market which bring more than $950.00.

Winchester 1903 is a semi auto rimfire rifle,, not a bolt action military rifle,

winchester made Carbines and Garands, not the 03 or A3

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Winchester also made M1917s, which were bolt action USGI rifles contemporary to the M1903. Could have been one of those.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Winchester also made M1917s, which were bolt action USGI rifles contemporary to the M1903. Could have been one of those.

My guess as well. All you have to do is Google 'M1917 Lyman Sight' to see how common it was to modify old milirary rifles back in the day.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

Winchester 1903 is a semi auto rimfire rifle,, not a bolt action military rifle,

winchester made Carbines and Garands, not the 03 or A3
Yes, these I know because I have never seen a '03 Winchester marked. As Rogue posted, it well could have been a M17. Not sure if Winchester made Pattern 14s as I refuse to think too much this morning. I know about the Remington and Eddystone. I do recall Dutch Volk, now deciest, saying he garnered the rifle for $12.00.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

My guess as well. All you have to do is Google 'M1917 Lyman Sight' to see how common it was to modify old milirary rifles back in the day.
I had a P14 and was leaning toward sending it to ASquare for large caliber conversion. Im glad I didnt because its a shame to see the rifle altered in such a way. Their cartridges are way over kill for the lower 48 States hunting.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure if Winchester made Pattern 14s as I refuse to think too much this morning. I know about the Remington and Eddystone.

They did. All three manufacturers made both P14s in .303 for the British and M1917s in .30-06 for the Americans.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post