SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any Henry Homesteader issues?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Henry Homesteader issues? Login/Join 
posted
Picked mine up today. Some minor gouging and finish peeling on the forearm. Not huge.
Got the glock magwell. To install, you pop out 3 receiver pins. Upon re-install with the glock well, the pin that holds it in just falls out. No tension. Checked and all 3 pins are same size.

Call into Henry. I'll tape the pin in and shoot it tomorrow.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Henry has outstanding service. Call them.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Picked mine up today. Some minor gouging and finish peeling on the forearm. Not huge.
Got the glock magwell. To install, you pop out 3 receiver pins. Upon re-install with the glock well, the pin that holds it in just falls out. No tension. Checked and all 3 pins are same size.

Call into Henry. I'll tape the pin in and shoot it tomorrow.

You will find that the #32 Pin retaining tube and the
#86 Pin retaining tube clip (2) are missing. I took mine out of the stock Henry Magazine magwell and installed it into the Glock mag well. Henry sent me an entire Glock magwell for free instead of just the parts that are missing.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I DO HAVE THE FOLLOWING TWO ISSUES WITH MY HOMESTEADER:

I sent them the following email today.

SAFETY ISSUE

After dry firing the gun (the same as if you had a failure to fire a live round ) and after  I applied the safety, I could not retract the charging handle all the way to the rear.   It only comes back 3/4”. 

However, If you take the safety off (putting the carbine in the fire position) you can then retract  the charging handle all the way.  I believe that this is a serious design flaw (especially when you are trying to clear the gun after a mis-fire).

PROBLEM WITH THE GLOCK MAG WELL SYSTEM

I have my second Glock mag well (the first one I purchased had a part missing** which I borrowed from my stock Henry mag well. Your customer service department sent me a replacement unit)

With both units, I was unable to let the bolt go forward with a full 10 round (late model)  magazine.  This also happened with an early model (Gen 3) 15 round magazine but not consistently.  I filed the 10 round mag slightly on the left upper area where the hold open device is activated by the mag follower.  This helped somewhat but not 100%.  It looks like the hold open device is mounted rather loosely in these mag well assemblies. 

This hold open device should be made so it will not rub on the left side of the mag body. The only part of the magazine assembly that contacts the bolt hold open device should be the magazine follower.  In lieu of this, owners should be made aware that they should check to see if their carbine functions correctly with the Glock mag well installed.

(#32 Pin retaining tube
#86 Pin retaining tube clip (2)

FIRST SHOTS FIRED

This carbine is very accurate.  Using 115 grn Norma ball ammo, I got one ragged hole at 25 yards.  I am very pleased with this.

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well they are quick to respond. My gun arrived there last Thursday and I got an email monday that it was on the way back.
New stock and forearm (matching) and the ejector.
Shot it today and it ran perfect with115ball. Great groups out to 25yds. Used glock and magpul mags. Bolt closed on full mag easy.

Can't complain about service.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I would recommend starting with the Glock mag adapter, based on this video. He seems to be having trouble with the Henry mags.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^ Yeah, and he never really confirmed in the video if the Glock mags would fix it or not. Hopefully his was a one-off...I really wanted to like this one.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a sample of 1. I wouldn't condemn the platform. Just be a bit wary/ready. If you look a the comments, Henry has already attempted to contact him.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I haven't shot it much mine has run 100%, and had no cosmetic issues. Bought the Henry mag version. Very happy with it.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
$900.00.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
$900.00.... Roll Eyes

Yes, pricey. A ruger pcc is a little cheaper and does the same thing.

I was raised on guns made of steel and wood so it brings me back to those days.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
$900.00.... Roll Eyes

Paid $800 for mine. Right in Ruger PCC range.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Paid $800 for mine. Right in Ruger PCC range.
Yeah, that's Ruger these days- for a 500 dollar rifle. I don't think I'll ever buy another Ruger.

Posts: 107259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well they are quick to respond. My gun arrived there last Thursday and I got an email monday that it was on the way back.
New stock and forearm (matching) and the ejector.
Shot it today and it ran perfect with115ball. Great groups out to 25yds. Used glock and magpul mags. Bolt closed on full mag easy.

Can't complain about service.
are the pins tight now? What was the deal with that?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The rear of all 3 trigger inserts has a single hole. There is a filler tube that goes in and it's held in place by 2 d clips on each side. The original glock module didn't have it. Good to go now. My only issue is a red dot. Got the ranger point homesteader rail, but it puts my rmr too high and I'm out of adjustments. Still about 9 inches high

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The rear of all 3 trigger inserts has a single hole. There is a filler tube that goes in and it's held in place by 2 d clips on each side. The original glock module didn't have it. Good to go now. My only issue is a red dot. Got the ranger point homesteader rail, but it puts my rmr too high and I'm out of adjustments. Still about 9 inches high

Yep, that is what I said earlier.

…..” You will find that the #32 Pin retaining tube and the
#86 Pin retaining tube clip (2) are missing. I took mine out of the stock Henry Magazine magwell and installed it into the Glock mag well. Henry sent me an entire Glock magwell for free instead of just the parts that are missing.”…..

Trooper Joe

posted Hide Post
New Member. Posted to see if anyone has found a source for the Sig mag wells? Searched all over the web and not in stock. Similar issue with a picatinny scope mount, but eventually found another brand that fit. Not sure why Henry makes a big production of Sig mag compatibility and then doesn't make the part.

Posts: 1 | Location: Wilmington, NC | Registered: May 01, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seagate Slim:
Not sure why Henry makes a big production of Sig mag compatibility and then doesn't make the part.

Nobody is sure. I'm not an insider either. However, I have some experience with the subject (with the magwells), and I learned first hand that feeding from pistol magazines is far trickier than it looks. It does not take much at all to create a mysterious reliability problem.

In addition, P320 magazines in particular are not as uniform as some other common families, such as Beretta 92. So, most likely, Henry were all ready to go with the combined magwell, but found a reliability issue. Rather than cancel and re-format the whole offering, they were trying to fix the issue.

A common magwell for M&P and P320 is a dubious idea. Stern make one for AR9. So there's that. But S&W ship separate M&P and P320 magwells for Resolve.

One funny fact: the photos at Henry site show a Glock magwell inside the retail packaging for the supposed SIG/M&P magwell. So they literally ordered production of the packaging already, but the product wasn't ready. So the marketing people did the best with what they had. There is a room somewhere in Rice Lake plant, that contains boxes of unused packaging for SIG magwells, which costed money to order, and someone is very reluctant to write off that expense. I've been in those shoes before.

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 15, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Zaitcev!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Welcome, Zaitcev!

Thanks! Looking forward to be a part!

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 15, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post