SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Swiss k31 (school me)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss k31 (school me) Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Older ones have walnut stocks, later have a softer wood (birch?)
The military GP11 ammo is match grade, but dried up now, it was excellent
Privi still loads it, shoots fine

Always check under the butt plate for a soldier/armory tag

The metal is outstanding on most I've seen or owned, the butt stocks not so much due to they way they were stacked in the field.

The bayonets are pricey, if you can find them.

My favorite milsurp, have owned dozens over the years. They were the main reason I got a C&R license.

Any decent example under $500 is a must buy, nice examples are going in the 600-800 range online.

Post around 1944 or so, stocks were made of BEECH, not birch. Birch is a predominately Northern European/Scandinavian wood. Perhaps you are making the common American mistake of confusing Switzerland, in the heart of Europe, with Scandinavia, which reaches up to and into the Arctic Circle. Many Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian and Russian small arms were fitted with birchwood stocks.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:It's from the hob-nail boots they used and knocking the snow off them with the butt of the rifle (or so the story goes).

It is actually from slamming the stocks against the the spiked crampons worn by many Swiss troops, not helped by stacking them in 'piles' of three in the snow - using the stacking rods under the muzzle.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not my deal or anything to do a/ it besides trying to help the OP out. There is a person on the CMP forum selling a good amount of GP11. Price, as far as I am concerned , is crazy but what isn’t these days and the days of cheap and easy GP11 are over. Looks like he is willing to haggle.

Hope this helps you.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen GP11 for sale here in UK for almost ten years. PPU is good stuff for reloading, but is around 200fps slower than GP11...

It's also, right this moment at $1.16 per pop.

I've reloaded for so long I've forgotten how good the real thing is.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I haven't seen GP11 for sale here in UK for almost ten years. PPU is good stuff for reloading, but is around 200fps slower than GP11...

It's also, right this moment at $1.16 per pop.

I've reloaded for so long I've forgotten how good the real thing is.

Agreed. Also, PPU makes good brass for reloading, period. IIRC Hornady made brass cased boxer primed ammo for a while in 7.5x55 Swiss.

posted Hide Post
Went looking for 7.5x55 brass and so far I came up with once-fired brass from Sleeping Giant:

https://sleepinggiantbrass.com/7.5x55-brass

and these options from Norma and Privi:

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/770

I checked Hornady and Starline but neither list this caliber in their selection.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have purchased brand new in the 100 piece bag of PPU from Powder Valley in several different calibers. They may be out now but, get on the notification list.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Went looking for 7.5x55 brass and so far I came up with once-fired brass from Sleeping Giant:

https://sleepinggiantbrass.com/7.5x55-brass

and these options from Norma and Privi:

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/770

I checked Hornady and Starline but neither list this caliber in their selection.

PPU Graf or Wolf - it's ALL made by PPU.

There is some VERY high-priced European factory stuff, I think from Norma, but last time I looked it was a truly preposterous price, even by EU standards - something around $4 a pop. AFAIK, there are no civilian-manufactured firearms for this very parochial calibre, although a pal of mine in Belgium has made a costly conversion to a .338LM AI and shoots 200gr long-range bullets to great effect.

posted Hide Post
Ammo has always been the one downside of this rifle. My memory is that when I bought mine I also bought a case (400 rounds I think) of Swiss ammo, and the ammo ended up being more expensive than the gun.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Older ones have walnut stocks, later have a softer wood (birch?)
The military GP11 ammo is match grade, but dried up now, it was excellent
Privi still loads it, shoots fine

Always check under the butt plate for a soldier/armory tag

The metal is outstanding on most I've seen or owned, the butt stocks not so much due to they way they were stacked in the field.

The bayonets are pricey, if you can find them.

My favorite milsurp, have owned dozens over the years. They were the main reason I got a C&R license.

Any decent example under $500 is a must buy, nice examples are going in the 600-800 range online.

Post around 1944 or so, stocks were made of BEECH, not birch. Birch is a predominately Northern European/Scandinavian wood. Perhaps you are making the common American mistake of confusing Switzerland, in the heart of Europe, with Scandinavia, which reaches up to and into the Arctic Circle. Many Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian and Russian small arms were fitted with birchwood stocks.

Nope, I just don’t know shit about trees
Didn’t realize that the Swiss had one, but not the other

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The two I owned had a magazine with factory stamped serial number. How cools is that? One had a piece of paper with the name and outfit on the soldier that it was originally issued to on a piece of paper in a hole under the butt plate. I scanned the paper and put it back. No telling what it would cost to manufacture a K31 now.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
As everyone says, they are beautifully made. They have good triggers, and GREAT triggers for military rifles.

The sights are smallish, and a little hard to see for old eyes. That is nothing surprising for military rifles from the '30s.

I should have bought one when they cost $200.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I've had one for years, haven't shot it much and was thinking about selling it. I'm going to take it out this week instead.

As mentioned, the sights are dinky. I should put a diopter setup on it.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Go for the US-made diopter sight set from Swiss Products up in Kalispell MT.

Tell them I sent you.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Tell them I sent you.

They do make good stuff don’t they Tac? The Swiss factory diopter sights are nice but, the Swiss Products stuff is a step up.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:

Tell them I sent you.

They do make good stuff don’t they Tac? The Swiss factory diopter sights are nice but, the Swiss Products stuff is a step up.

Their products are the tops, not forgetting that THEIR diopter sight goes up to 1000m, not the 300m that the native Swiss designs do. They don't shoot past that distance in their annual qualifications, and the ISSF 3-position match is only 300m anyhow.

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I found a Swiss Products clamp on scope mount I forgot I had, so I put a scope on it. Very awkward shooting with the scope offset to the RIGHT. 2"@100 yards was the best I could do with it, but I'm no Rifleman. I'll try the dipoters when funds and weather allow.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
I found a Swiss Products clamp on scope mount I forgot I had, so I put a scope on it. Very awkward shooting with the scope offset to the RIGHT. 2"@100 yards was the best I could do with it, but I'm no Rifleman. I'll try the dipoters when funds and weather allow.

That's still good shooting by any standards for an old ex-military arm with G*d knows how many rounds down it. The offset is only around 5/8th inch or so, depending on how low you got the mounts. I have two such mounts from SP - one has an old El Paso Weaver K4, which looks exactly right, and the other has a 3-9 Weaver, which looks wrong, but is better for shooting longer ranges. Both go on every time in the same place - it never varies.