SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 61 Questions

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Winchester Model 61 Questions Login/Join 
posted
I've been around long enough to hope I am not invoking the wrath of admins by asking this question but here goes.
I have a chance to pick up a Winchester Model 61 with serial number 7124** which makes the manufacture date 1949. This .22 is in almost perfect condition and I am not a gun grader but if I was I would have to give it a 90.

Prices are all over the place for this Winchester and I don't normally ask Sig Forum members for this kind of information and try to find it on my own but this one has me stumped.

No manual and no box and I can pick it up for around $1,300.00...it is a collector firearm and not s shooter. Any opinions on value?

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That's around top dollar. 1,000 even would be fair both ways, no steal but fair. If you suspect a re blue $750 tops if it's a good job.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
That's around top dollar. 1,000 even would be fair both ways, no steal but fair. If you suspect a re blue $750 tops if it's a good job.

It's definitely not a re-blue and after looking at a few more online I would have to raise the Winchester to a 95% compared to others I saw.
The Seller is a friend of mine and I'm just trying to offer a fair price. This .22 has been in their family since purchased new.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Report This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
It is beautiful. Some things are worth paying a little extra for, especially if you will really enjoy owning it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'll sell you mine for a lot cheaper...

It's a '41 (serial # 55xxx). Not quite that condition, but very solid.

Anyways, yes that is TOP dollar. The book will say it is worth that but many times the book doesn't keep up with actual real world demand, imo. So while some extremely picky Winchester collectors are willing to pay that, there are just very few people like that and getting it in front of the right eyes to sell it for that is a long shot. For instance, mine sat on a local classifieds for over a month at a substantially lower price and barely got a nibble.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input and I decided to pass on it.