SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brass Henry rifles: do they need to be babied?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Henry rifles: do they need to be babied? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
A 12 gauge with slugs would be a suitable substitute and way more versatile until you find what you like. And I would stick with Marlin/Ruger for the rifle.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I almost bought the Chiappa takedown for $1800. It so handy and short and the wood is gorgeous!
I ended up being practical and ordered the H010G Henry in blued steel for $929. It will serve me well and I will never lose money on it if I sell it in Alaska. If I come across a Ruger/Marlin Guide or Trapper, later, I can always sell the Henry.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"The cosmetic damage, not so much".

I'm not sure what this means? I could be read it a few different ways.

Bruce

What I mean is that Henry's opinion of cosmetic damage is pretty meaningless IMO. OTOH, their opinion of the rifle's ability to handle modern pressures of +P and such is invaluable.

I contacted Henry directly. They said their rifle can handle any load that is safe to shoot in any modern gun. Brass and steel, both.
We will be testing their lifetime guarantee.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I almost bought the Chiappa takedown for $1800. It so handy and short and the wood is gorgeous!
I ended up being practical and ordered the H010G Henry in blued steel for $929. It will serve me well and I will never lose money on it if I sell it in Alaska. If I come across a Ruger/Marlin Guide or Trapper, later, I can always sell the Henry.

Bruce

You'll be please with the Henry up here - I've had the stainless all weather wood one running any load I can stuff in it since they first came out and no problems. It's put a few moose in the freezer. I upgraded with some Skinner sights and it now rides around as the camp gun in the side by side/etc. I liked it so much, I picked up the newer side gate blue steel gun with threaded barrel so I could run a suppressor on it, as well as a Leupold red dot on top. Truthfully, I haven't wrung it out yet but, if it's on par with the earlier stainless gun, I will get my money out of it. Great guns!

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yes!
Skinner sights with the rail and a red dot are in the works.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Last second change!
My Henry showed up the same day I found a Remlin GBL at a LGS, on consignment. $1050 with reloading dies, 4 boxes of ammo, manual and case.
It's been shot a bit but I have no concerns about wearing out a 45-70. I'm just glad someone else broke it in!
Now, to clean it and try it out!

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli