SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Mini-14 Pencil Barrel replacement question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mini-14 Pencil Barrel replacement question Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Has anyone replaced the “pencil barrel” on an older Ruger Mini-14 with a heavy barrel and gas block to improve the accuracy? If so, who have you used and how much did it cost? And, were you satisfied with the results? Just as an FYI, Ruger doesn’t do this anymore.

On the other hand, Ruger will accept the older rifle and give you a partial credit towards a new one. Has anyone gone that route?

Or, have you just accepted minute of bad guy and moved on?

Thoughts?

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be sarcastic but the best way to upgrade a Mini-14 into a more accurate rifle is to buy an AR-15.

To me it would be like rebarreling a Moisin Nagant. I like Nagant's for what they are but if you are spending the money for a match grade barrel and upgrades there are better base actions to start with.

Ruger's are handy and reliable and are what they are. I don't think a lot of money spent on upgrading them is worthwhile that money would be better spent on a more accurate platform and keep the Mini-14 as a truck gun or something. In other words accept the minute of bad guy and buy a more accurate platform..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have contemplated this same issue. I'd suggest starting with a barrel strut and see what that does for you. You can also loosen and retorque the gas block which can help accuracy to a small degree.

I did a lot of research on this subject because I live in California and our options for using AR's all involve some kind of compromise that I just didn't want to deal with. If I could have an unneutered AR I'd go that route.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. No offense taken by certain statements as they are valid points. As an FYI, this Mini-14 is over 40 years old and the first EBR I ever bought. It has the original pencil thin barrel that heats up quick and is minute of bad guy.

I'd forgotten about the Accu-strut whose inventor is a member. Does anyone remember who he is? I believe he is still active and I had a couple of questions for him.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
somewhat interested. I have a series 180 with the 1776-1976 200 year rollmark...

It doesn't get much attention anymore, but it is not going anywhere...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Thanks for the replies. No offense taken by certain statements as they are valid points. As an FYI, this Mini-14 is over 40 years old and the first EBR I ever bought. It has the original pencil thin barrel that heats up quick and is minute of bad guy.

I'd forgotten about the Accu-strut whose inventor is a member. Does anyone remember who he is? I believe he is still active and I had a couple of questions for him.

kkina is the member you want and can answer all your Mini questions.

Accu-Strut

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That's it. Thanks!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How can I help you, my friend?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Bill Ruger said it best:

The Mini 14 is the world's most expensive plinker. It was never meant to be a precision rifle.

And yes, I have one and love it. Field Strips just exactly like the M14 I shot in Basic Training.

I also have ARs, and love them too, but they're a completely different animal.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
How can I help you, my friend?

Thanks for dropping in. Would the Accu-Stut work with a 181-XXXXXX series Mini-14 that has the Butler Creek folding stock, from the mid-90s? I could reinstall the original stock but I prefer the Butler Creek stock if possible.

And, what type of accuracy could I expect over how many shots? Obviously, I’m not expecting the accuracy of a 20” fluted AR-15 setup, but do you have a guesstimate on what I could expect?

Thanks for your time!

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Man I sure love those pencil barrels. So light weight and handy. Perfect for home defense. You are not missing from across the room, so accuracy potential is unimportant, in my view.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Let’s remember a military M16 has a requirement of 4MOA ....that’s four inches at 100 yards....once you have figured out your requirements, it will make it easier.

Kkina offers a cheaper attempt at “alleged” accuracy...

Start there and then work your way up to a new barrel..which I’m sure is more expensive.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for dropping in. Would the Accu-Stut work with a 181-XXXXXX series Mini-14 that has the Butler Creek folding stock, from the mid-90s? I could reinstall the original stock but I prefer the Butler Creek stock if possible.

And, what type of accuracy could I expect over how many shots? Obviously, I’m not expecting the accuracy of a 20” fluted AR-15 setup, but do you have a guesstimate on what I could expect?

Yes, the Accu-strut will install just fine. The stock doesn't matter, you can use any stock.

You could probably expect groups under 2" @100 yards, and even below 1.5" depending on ammo.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Also, I've never heard of Ruger replacing the earlier thin barrel with the updated thicker one. They will only replace parts to bring the rifle back up to spec. I.e. they would replace a thin barrel with another thin barrel as per original spec. Upgrading to a thick barrel would be considered custom work, which they don't do.

Maybe a long time ago they did barrel upgrades, perhaps someone knows, but as you said they won't do it now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll be getting one of your Accu-struts.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The Mini 14 is just a fun rifle to shoot. Is it as accurate as an AR? Nope. But take one to a range and people always ask about it. AR’s are boring, but the Mini 14 brings a smile to my face. And it’s my son’s rifle. He’s proud of it.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Thanks. I'll be getting one of your Accu-struts.

Well thank you!! There's a backlog now due to our CNC mill needing a repair, but we're back in production and should be fulfilling our distributors in a week or so. Check with Sunflower Outdoor Sports in another week.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Source for Mini-14 barrels: www.accuracysystemsinc.com

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have put an accu-strut on both of my pencil barrel Mini-14s and they do make a difference. Plus they make the rifle look cooler, and while I don’t tend to buy accessories for looks, I’m certainly not going to complain when something improves function and appearance.

I agree with others that the Mini-14 is just fun to shoot. It was the first semi-automatic rifle I purchased and I love it to this day. I have a lot of appreciation for the AR platform and I own several, but I’ve never truly enjoyed shooting them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
accustrut turned my pencil barrel mini from a pie plate at 50 yards offhand shooter to a tennis ball at 50 yards offhand. which is good enough for me.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post