SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is this the first sign CZ is breathing life into Colt? Update Pg.3 First the 6940 now the Colt M5
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the first sign CZ is breathing life into Colt? Update Pg.3 First the 6940 now the Colt M5 Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I would be interested if they ditched the barrel mounted front sight and made the handguard long enough to be useful.

I regret not snagging a few more of the Mega monolithic uppers back when they were in stock at JSE. Those were done right.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The patent runs out in 2026. I get the feeling we'll be flooded in monorails the minute LMT's patent runs out.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
made the handguard long enough to be useful

As a far-out gripping point? As far as usefulness in mounting acceasories goes, there is probably plenty of space, for most folks. My two most often used ARs have drop-in guards behind a fixed or folding front sight gas block, on a carbine gas system. I have a light, IR laser, pressure switches for both of those, and a small nav light mounted. Gauging usefulness is contextual and subjective, like everything else. I like an exposed front sight gas block more often than I don't; I likely represent the minority.

All that being said, I do agree that this gun suffers from either not enough handguard, or too much barrel, depending on what your application is.

On the 6940, you gain rail space at the 3, 9, and 12 positions, where the delta ring would normally be. Unfortunately, they opted for QD pockets at the front 3 and 9, which is where rail slots are more valuable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do people really still want quad rails? I can see the monolithic upper appeal, sorta, but I will never buy another quad rail again. So, not the best rifle ever for me.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer quad rails, just as long as they're not gargantuan. An issued KAC rail is fine to me, the SF rails I prefer are awesome, and even a free-float on a standard barrel nut from MI is decent. Some of the older YHM stuff was huge; that stuff is a no-go for me. LMT mono rails are very trim, as are the DD RIS. I have pretty long fingers, when compared to a lot of folks, so that may affect my assessment of this stuff.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really? You prefer all that rail to a slim Mlok or even Keymod? If you don’t mind me asking, why?

80% of the rail isn’t used, it’s heavier, it needs rail covers or it’s a cheese grater, I don’t see the attraction anymore.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am aware that my preference makes little sense. I don't have any logical justification for it. I suppose I am used to the feeling of a quad; a slim handguard feels dainty to me. If I liked a gun for all sorts of reasons, and it was only available with M-Lok, I wouldn't be turned-off by that; until that gun comes along, I'll take a quad.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I see KSGM's point. I have KeyMod on my Mk18 clone. And it is a slim build even with the BCM covers. I have KAC rails on my M4 upper and on my M16A4 clone. I do like them on the full sized rifle (and on the FN M16A4 I was issued when in uniform). But on my issued M4 and personal M4gery, I wish they were a little slimmer.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I wasn't throwing stones. The heart wants what the heart wants. lol My choices aren't always the easiest to defend. I was just curious if I was missing something.

Picture of Shadowboxer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m curious.

Over the weekend, my LGS guy and I looked through a pile of 6920s he has. Some are a year old, some are recent shipments. We also looked at a couple of used guns that were 2-3 years old.

Upon inspection, we couldn’t detect a difference in any of them. The boxes of the recent guns didn’t differentiate from older boxes. Some of the older rifles had 3xxxx serial number ranges, the newer ones started with an 8.

Google has nothing to offer besides a lot of speculation, and in-fighting on gun boards.

I have a friend who works for CZ. What you say is true. CZ does not "make" Colts. They own the company. Today's Colts have not declined due to being owned my CZ.

------------------------------------------------------------

Proud to be in Texas!

Posts: 945 | Location: Texas! | Registered: October 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowboxer:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m curious.

Over the weekend, my LGS guy and I looked through a pile of 6920s he has. Some are a year old, some are recent shipments. We also looked at a couple of used guns that were 2-3 years old.

Upon inspection, we couldn’t detect a difference in any of them. The boxes of the recent guns didn’t differentiate from older boxes. Some of the older rifles had 3xxxx serial number ranges, the newer ones started with an 8.

Google has nothing to offer besides a lot of speculation, and in-fighting on gun boards.

I have a friend who works for CZ. What you say is true. CZ does not "make" Colts. They own the company. Today's Colts have not declined due to being owned my CZ.

Colt’s decline happened prior to CZ acquiring them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
made the handguard long enough to be useful

As a far-out gripping point? As far as usefulness in mounting acceasories goes, there is probably plenty of space, for most folks. My two most often used ARs have drop-in guards behind a fixed or folding front sight gas block, on a carbine gas system. I have a light, IR laser, pressure switches for both of those, and a small nav light mounted. Gauging usefulness is contextual and subjective, like everything else. I like an exposed front sight gas block more often than I don't; I likely represent the minority.

All that being said, I do agree that this gun suffers from either not enough handguard, or too much barrel, depending on what your application is.

On the 6940, you gain rail space at the 3, 9, and 12 positions, where the delta ring would normally be. Unfortunately, they opted for QD pockets at the front 3 and 9, which is where rail slots are more valuable.

No, for resting on structure when shooting other than offhand. Long handguards grant a lot of leeway on where you can rest your rifle without setting the barrel on something.

Doesn't matter much if you largely shoot offhand. I frequently shoot from improvised positions off of whatever is available. Long handguards are nice for that.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The patent runs out in 2026. I get the feeling we'll be flooded in monorails the minute LMT's patent runs out.

That would be fantastic. I will be buying.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something else that's been unobtainium from Colt's library is being trickled out to consumers. Dealers are starting to get inventory of Colt's M5 Carbine that was announced for Military/LE Sales in 2017. Here's the brief:

They're also undercutting Daniel Defense's recent launch of the RIS III with full ambi lower by about $300.

ArmsUnlimited has a few in stock at $1949.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An 11.5" monolithic upper on that M5 lower would be a cool gun.

posted Hide Post
Still a carbine length gas system? Why?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know is that when it was presented for LE/Mil was the sizes were 10.3, 11.5, and 14.5. The part that scares me is the area at the trigger pins are enlarged. This would be an instant fail if you couldn't change triggers on this gun.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Found out some more things on the CM5. Deliveries are starting to get to customers. Here’s some closeups:

Some other things that’s popup have been

C" marked upper
1 Gen 2 Magpul magazine
Mlok QD socket and sling mount
NO picatinny accessory rails or rail covers
Magpul trigger guard.
"Colt" on rail is blacked out
No caliber listed on lower, all writing laser etched
"H" buffer
Troy CAGE code BUIS
MPC marked bolt
C marked M16 carrier
CAGE code marked barrel
MP barrel glyph is two distinct characters.
Right side bolt release does not lock the bolt back.
6 position buffer tube
Radian Raptor Colt marked Charging handle
M4 feed ramps

All from arfcom. On the plus side according to WikiArms, prices are down to about $1750 and I’m trying to decide if I want to take a chance on this or an LWRC. I did find out for some reason, Colt is using longer trigger pins for this gun for some reason like the 901. On the plus side, Geissele sells proper sized pins for $15.

posted Hide Post
That's pretty slick. In looking at them online, when you first mentioned them, I didn't notice the forward portion of the upper receiver being different. They definitely made a poor decision, in using carbine gas. Mid with an adjustable block would have been very cool. I still think the coolest combo would be an M5 lower with an 11.5" monolithic upper.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, one step forward for CZ and two steps back from Colt. While I’m convinced that Colt would never sell this rifle without CZ, Colt still has to pull a Colt.