SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Got the new SCAR 17 out to the range.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the new SCAR 17 out to the range. Login/Join 
posted
I acquired this gem a few weeks ago and was finally able to get out to the range to test it out with the optics set-up I chose to go with, which is the PA Micro 3x and Holosun off-set red dot. This combo proved light weight, effective and is a great fit for the gun. I feel I get 98% of the Trijicon TA11 I was going to go with at about 1/4 the price. My TA11 will stay on my LMT MWS.

Ammo used was factory 168gr FGMM and my home load of 168gr SMK loaded with 44gr Shooters World Precision powder. 3 shot groups were fired at 50yds to zero both optics and to see what the gun would do. I also fired two 3 shot groups at 100 yds with the factory load and my home load. Both loads had the same POI which made me happy, as I can load 20rds for much less than $35 a box for factory 169gr FGMM…..LOL. At 100yds the FGMM shot a 1” group and I threw one with my load, but I’ll take this with a 3x optic all day long. At 50yds, the red dot had much tighter groups. This gun is a shooter for sure. I should be able to get it out a little further is a few weeks.

I will say, this IS the lightest recoiling 308 I have ever shot. My Noveske and LMT feel like they recoil 2x’s as much. I’m sure I could shoot this all day without any issues. Also, the trigger sucks, but it did not affect the accuracy at all. The only thing I plan to change is the grip. Everything else will stay factory.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That PWS brake is effective. I put on the FN 3 prong and it's a noticeable difference. Not a big deal. Still less recoil than the LMT.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought that optic. At under 300 bucks it sure does seem like a low rent ACOG. I got the green ACSS Raptor version. Or maybe that is the only reticle, I am not sure.

How is the eye relief? That cantilever mount it comes with leads me to believe it has to be waaaay back. I was hoping to leave the std buis in place and put the prism right in front of them when in the up position. If not I will investigate offset irons.

Nice setup.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I just bought that optic. At under 300 bucks it sure does seem like a low rent ACOG. I got the green ACSS Raptor version. Or maybe that is the only reticle, I am not sure.

How is the eye relief? That cantilever mount it comes with leads me to believe it has to be waaaay back. I was hoping to leave the std buis

in place and put the prism right in front of them when in the up position. If not I will investigate offset irons.

Nice setup.

The eye relief is close to 3”. There were zero issues shooting it on the 308. The optic did not even get close to touching my eye socket Big Grin. You will be good with your BUIS.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I also just bought the ADM QD acog mount because the only thing I don't like is optics without QD. It was another 70 bucks which sucks but it seems to work with all their spacers.

Orange Park, I used to live in Mandarin when I was stationed at NAS.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post