SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Battle belt / range belt set up thoughts (update 8/30)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle belt / range belt set up thoughts (update 8/30) Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
I have been looking at the different belt systems for a little while, and wanted something that was grab and go. I decided that I did not want the two belt Velcro system. I liked the idea of putting it on over my pants, or jacket.

Good or bad, I picked up the Trex Arms Orion. So, with that out of the way, what do like for accessories? A couple of pistol magazine pouches, and one or two magazine pouches for the rifle? An IFAK? Maybe a pouch for a light? Is there a brand preference that you guys with experience would recommend? What about a holster? I see a lot of people using the Safariland holster’s but honestly I’m not sure why? Is it because of durability, the retention system, or the way they mount? I have used plenty of kydex holsters, but nothing other than formfitting retention. The qls system looks neat for easy holster changes, but I’m not sure if it’s needed.

My ideal setup would be suited for range use, and as something to grab in a home defense situation as well I guess.

Any advice or opinions will be welcomed! Pictures are even better! Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pepsiblue,

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shoot uspsa (when I have primers) and use an inner and outer belt with double alpha mag holders (4) and a skeleton double alpha holster. It serves my purpose in that game.

When I was a cop I had a leather Sam brown belt, used safari land triple retention holster, double mag holder, oc,taser,two pair of handcuffs, baton, radio and a pager holder. A lot of weight. I don’t have to police anymore so I don’t have a belt for that.

I was also in the CG reserves and we used a Bianchi gunbelt(hard nylon belt) holster, oc, baton, radio, extra mags, cuffs…even hat was heavy and sucked after a few hours doing LE in it. I don’t do that anymore either.

What are your plans with said belt? If it’s for gun games, go to a few matches and see what others are suing and ask a lot of questions. If it’s for teotwawki…then do what you want.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I have two distinct setups that I use. Im a militia member so they get pretty heavy use. in summer, by far, my fav is the double belt/Velcro system. it just keeps everything in place when you're moving around or up/over obstacles.

It also has the Safariland holster. I like it best bc of retention, ease of change out and mounting options.

I carry two tourniquets on belt and two on my vests. belt TQ's may come in handy if you're training and not using your vest.

I try to keep my belt down to minimum gear. I have my holster, dual pistol mag carriers, dual carriers for two additional AR mags and the best thing I have is my rifle keep. its not a big piece of kit but its invaluable when rifle is slung across my chest and im moving, especially over obstacles. keeps the muzzle from banging off of everything and right where it belongs.

I keep my IFAKS on my vests bc its just to bulky for a belt and depending on the training, I might have a radio pouch on my belt vs my vest.

your experience may vary depending on what your intended use is

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Esstac for my pistol and rifle pouches. I have found a dump pouch (I have a small bfg one and bigger maxpedition) of either size is useful. I add a fixed blade knife of whatever variety you favor. I don’t have an ifak only because I’ve never trained with one so I’m not sure how useful it would be to me. I think it’s a good idea though. I like the Safariland qls system for holsters. That’s about it for mine.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Kinda new to this, myself. Went with a double Velcro type, and it can still be used over a jacket or such. Like Pedro, Esstac mag pouches (two pistol mags and one rifle), and a Safariland (wound up with an older hooded model used here on the forum). I plan to add a dump pouch and a couple tourniquets, maybe a knife at some point. I don’t want to load it up with a bunch of shit, just the basics.

I have an IFAK, but haven’t decided how I want to mount it, or to what. I see a lot of pics where people have put it at the 6:00 position on a belt. It seems bulky for that, honestly. Mounting anything to my back or back side doesn’t seem like a wonderful idea. Couldn’t explain why, just a gut feeling.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm using HSGI pistol/rifle pouches and a Safariland holster.

The holster fits three of my guns so no quick change.
I like it for the retention among other things.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I use a G-Code XST holster on a Mule ISS drop leg. It rides higher on the thigh than a "regular" drop leg system.
The XST is great for retention & immediate draw. I like the activation method of pushing straight down while aquiring your grip rather than having to pull back on the small SFL holster lever.
For my belt, well I'm old school & still use the same green web 782 gear belt I used in the early 80's. It's sturdy, comfortable, easy on/off & if I want to put a lot of gear on it, I can use the padded suspenders that hook into it.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely post. I'm JUST starting to look into going with a "go belt" rig and don't know where to start. Any good youyube videos or website with the basics and options?

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have my eye on the new AWS belt. https://awsin.com/smu-operator-composite-belt/ I only have a plate carrier setup for home defense, but I might as well have a belt also. As far as stuff to go on it, I like Esstac magazine pouches, Safariland holsters, BFG medical and dump pouches.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When I put together a belt for “grab and go” I wanted something that would be usable regardless of what I was wearing and usable immediately (or as close to immediate as possible).

The belt is made by High Speed Gear. It is heavily padded (probably more than really necessary for most situations, but it’s comfortable) and the inner surface is a grabby rubber substance that holds the belt in position without a Velcro under belt. I was a little concerned about how the rubber would hold up, but I’ve used the setup for several years, and it shows no signs of wear.

I don’t expect a belt by itself to hold and carry everything I’d want for an end of the world scenario, so I limited it to what I’d consider to be the essentials. Left to right: carabiner (for keys or other something requiring immediate removeable access); two loaded pistol magazines; one loaded AR mag; black hanger for drop leg rifle mag pouch (the pouch is close at hand and holds two loaded 30-round magazines); flashlight; tourniquet; radio pouch (will also hold a small bottle of water); holster rig; pouch for cell phone.
The holster setup consists of two G-Code mounting plates for the holster itself. One is on the belt if I want it riding high, and one on a drop leg panel as pictured. If I don’t want the drop panel, removing it from the detachable hanger and moving the holster to the upper mounting plate is a matter of a few seconds.

I really like the Safariland holsters for a full size duty-type gun (mine is a FS P320). I don’t anticipate rolling around in the dirt with an adversary, so the only retention device is a small lever that has to be pushed forward with the thumb to release the pistol. That holster normally comes with a shroud over the lever for additional security, but I removed them from my holsters as unnecessary.

The belt has a COBRA buckle that’s secure and works well. Adjusting the length of the belt, however, is a fiddly process involving Velcro, so if I were planning to use the setup over a heavy coat, a system that was easier to adjust would be necessary. If I need to wear a coat, it goes over the belt: not a perfect solution, but usable.

I have a range belt that’s set up somewhat similarly, but without some of the stuff that’s not needed for that purpose. The belt is simple nylon by Specter Gear and I have only pouches and hangers for mags and holster. It is lined with a Velcro loop panel, but I don’t use it with a hook under belt.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I see a lot of people using the Safariland holster’s but honestly I’m not sure why? Is it because of durability, the retention system, or the way they mount?

Yes. Big Grin

Also their wide availability.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Those would be the reasons I chose one.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronin Shuto belt.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You are really going to decide what you want the belt to do. My range belts differ from my “battle belt”. Range belts have a Red Hill holster and lots of pistol magazine pouches. Battle belt has two pistol magazine pouches, TQ, safariland 6360 RDS holster, And IFAK.

Two different belts, two different jobs.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
This, well said..

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does a Kydex holster with no retention beyond the usual trigger guard tension have any place on a battle belt, or should such a holster be limited to range use? Thanks!

Posts: 33 | Location: Upper Connecticut River Valley | Registered: May 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I see a lot of people using the Safariland holster’s but honestly I’m not sure why? Is it because of durability, the retention system, or the way they mount?

Yes. Big Grin

Also their wide availability.

All of the above for me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got two setups:

A VTAC Skirmish belt with an Esstac double pistol/single mag pouch and a G-Code RTI optimal drop holster attachment. Has a Blue Force Gear med pouch and Booboo Kit (which holds a multi-tool and spare batteries as well as some bandaids and alcohol swabs) and an extra TQ holder (forget the brand).

An RDR Gear belt, which is set up more modular than the VTAC belt. Holster mount is also a G-Code RTI optimal drop. I use Tek-lok or other methods to attach pouches. Currently have 2 Tek-lok T-rex arms 2011 mag pouches, a Red Hill Tactical MPX mag pouch also attached by Tek-lok, but I swap that out for G-Code Scorpion mag pouches (either an AR or an AK/AR10 pouch) attached with the G-Code R2 MOLLE attachment clips. This belt also has a T-Rex med pouch and an extra TQ pouch attached full-time, plus a Leatherman pouch to hold a multi-tool.

The VTAC belt is modular for whatever pistol (either a 320 or 2011, usually), but specific to AR rifles. The RDR setup is almost always for 2011, but I change the rifle configuration.

I do something similar with my plate carrier. Crye JPC2 and Haley Strategic D3 Micros set for specific loadouts. I've currently got a D3 for AR, but am going to get one that is setup full-time for AK/AR10 and another for MPX. Just need to undo the clips and velcro to change out the placard for a different loadout.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have an inner/outer belt setup and I also have a chest rig.

Chest rig is far more comfortable. Carries more gear. Can sit in a car. Can sit in a chair. Can lay down and sleep.

I use a belt when I must. I prefer a chest rig for almost everything.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X62503:
Does a Kydex holster with no retention beyond the usual trigger guard tension have any place on a battle belt, or should such a holster be limited to range use? Thanks!

I wouldn’t. Just because of fear of losing the gun while moving.

But that is just me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post