SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Battle belt / range belt set up thoughts (update 8/30)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle belt / range belt set up thoughts (update 8/30) Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Friction retaining holsters also really suck on any kind of drop (UBL) to accommodate an armor rig. You need a thigh strap to secure the holster in place to overcome the friction retention. Even then the draw sucks. With an active only retention you just deactivate it and the pistol comes out like greased lightning.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase an observation an instructor once made about shooting with one hand, if we’re out running around in a situation requiring a battle belt, things aren’t going too well already. I wouldn’t want them to become any worse because I’d dropped my pistol because the holster didn’t retain it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Safariland GLS and ALS holsters offer good, reliable, and easy to disengage retention.

GLS Pro-Fit will fit a LOT of pistols.

Worth a look. Retention is a requirement for me.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If you guys are starting out buying new and don't already have gear carrying equipment, I highly recommend that you try out some of the lightweight chest rigs.

The one I have isn't expensive. It's a 5.11 TacTec. It's a simple chest rig, not a plate carrier. It's comfortable, slim, and simple. I can fit 6 AR-15 magazines. Or I can fit 2 FAL magazines and 2 pistol magazines. It accepts molle pouches if I need to add more storage. It weighs almost nothing and is comfortable enough that I can wear it for HOURS with no discomfort. I can wear it in a vehicle and still access all my mags. Load up your battle belt and then go sit in a car or truck.

Just my 2 cents. I have both because USPSA and 3 gun are both heavily belt oriented. I have been moving more and more of my gear to my chest over the years, when I can.

If the shit ever hits the fan, I will have a chest rig full of mags and a carbine on a sling. I might stick a pistol in a holster. Maybe.

https://www.511tactical.com/tactec-chest-rig.html

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
For a range belt I use the standard USPSA two piece belt system. An open top non retention holster and a few mags and TQ.

For a battle belt I have a ESSTAC two piece setup with 3 pistol, 2 rifle, an IFAK and a retention holster for a pistol with a weapon light.

For the times I’ve played in an vest I use a LBT plate carrier with 3 rifle mags and a double pistol mag carrier. Those mags get rotated to the belt as the belt mags get used.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I finally decided on a holster thanks to all the input here. I bought a Safariland 7360 that fits the Glock 17 with a TLR1 or x300. After watching reviews on YouTube, supposedly it will also fit a Glock 19 which is an added bonus. Still need to pick up some pistol magazine pouches, and a pouch or two for the rifle. Looking at the Esstac pouches pretty hard, but still open to other suggestions.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No experience with other than ESSTAC for belt use so far, but I don’t feel a need to mess with anything else. They work as advertised.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I saw a tourniquet on your ankle rig, but you didn’t comment on it and I don’t know enough to ID it by looking at it. What kind do you use? We have a thread going somewhere on what types and kinds people carry, but I figure it’s worth talking about in here also. I’m going to order some probably this weekend.

Someone mentioned the SWAT-T fits children’s limbs, and being a father and putting this stuff together with my family likely being with me if it needs to be used in mind, seems like a reasonable choice to go with.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Pretty sure I saw a tourniquet on your ankle rig, but you didn’t comment on it and I don’t know enough to ID it by looking at it. What kind do you use? We have a thread going somewhere on what types and kinds people carry, but I figure it’s worth talking about in here also. I’m going to order some probably this weekend.

Someone mentioned the SWAT-T fits children’s limbs, and being a father and putting this stuff together with my family likely being with me if it needs to be used in mind, seems like a reasonable choice to go with.

My ankle rig runs a soft and my rhodie runs a cat. No particular reason other than thats what i happened to grab from inventory. I view soft and cat as equally as effective, have used both, and feel good about either.

So, Opinions vary on this, and it can get tribalistic.

That said, i do not allow Rats tourniquets on my team. I have never once seen someone be able to stop a true arterial pressure bleed with one. Ive heard stories of people using them on kids and dogs to great effect, but ive never seen it. On a test dummy in med refresher training, 24 guys tried the rats. Not a single one was able to fully stop an arterial bleed without adding a cat or soft on top of it. I also dont believe they are SOCM approved, and other trauma med institutions do not allow/endorse them.

Couple guys on my team groaned, so I laid it out: if you can stop the arterial bleed with it, while im watching, you can keep it. No one could, and we junked them all.

It is my opinion that anecdotal stories of rats success are exactly that, or werent true arterial bleeds, or brilliant marketing, or some combination. Ive thankfully never had to use a tourniquet on a kid, but i have a dog. The sof t worked fine. (Edit/correction. Cant remember if it was a soft or cat)Medics on my team that have used them on kids said cats and soft work fine there. I keep cat in my truck, and cant see myself not being able to stop a bleed on one if my kids if i needed.

If i have a question about what med gear to run, i check with Dark Angel Medical. Ill do a video of my stuff in a bit.

**Post edited- i had rats and swat t mixed up. Ive never used swat t; but would say my concerns would be the same: in ability to pull and wrap enough mechanical tension at the artery to stop the bleed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kiwikurt,

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

Banned
posted Hide Post
Update- talked to one of my medics. Current views fresh from training is the cat gen 7 is best for kids.

I also have swat t and RATS confused, so i need to update post above. I have ZERO experience with swat t; but my concerns would be the same as rats. Things that rely on you to wrap (not just pull) enough mechanical tension on the artery to stop the bleed.

I’ll ask the boys about the swat t and see what they think.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwikurt:
Update- talked to one of my medics. Current views fresh from training is the cat gen 7 is best for kids.

Thanks for that, I’ll order a couple this afternoon.

Now to figure out a solution for mounting it to the front of my belt.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Boys are saying:

Cat 6 or 7
Sof t
Sam

The swat t is not committee approved as best we can tell, so id avoid it and the rats.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you want it on the front of your belt, use thick rubber bands. Ill post a pic of how guys who like it there mount it. Girls hair ties work too.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Some guys have a slick/cool guy sleeve for their tourniquets that can hang behind/in between the belts. Ive used and like those fine. Lots of guys bungee/band it to the front of their belt like below, but it isnt my personal preference.

You’ll use 2 hair ties or durable rubber bands, put them a ross the back of the belt to make a “+” sign, front one part of the tourniquet in then clock it 90° and band the other side in the same manner.

posted Hide Post
I have a ronin belt, esstac mag carrier 2 pistol 2 rifle, BFG micro trauma kit. Soil water with SOFt TQ safariland holster mid ride with qls and a good old school lenstatic compass.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I got the Safariland holster in, and it’s better than expected. I was worried it would be difficult to figure out, but it was far from that. Very natural draw, no issues at all. It’s marketed for the 17/34, but holds the 19 as well.

I ordered an Esstac 2 pistol plus 1 rifle mag pouch. Thinking about may adding another single rifle mag pouch.... thoughts on that?

What is the go to brand for Tourniquets? What’s the best option for mounting them to your belt?

I’m pretty sure I’d like a pouch for a hand held light, and maybe? a multitool. Am I missing anything?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
In my very non-tactical opinion, two rifle mags are a lot of weight on an already loaded belt. I was eyeing this pouch for a leatherman and flashlight. I specifically want a different pouch type than for pistol mags. https://awsin.com/50450-universal-molle-pouch/

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post