SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    KAC LAMG: Is it as awesome as it seems?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KAC LAMG: Is it as awesome as it seems? Login/Join 
posted
If it is, why the heck hasn't it seen more use by domestic and/or foreign militaries? It's been around for a while. It's an evolution of the Stoner 63, and then 86 and 96, machine guns. The last big revision being in '96, with KAC making more incremental improvements since then.

https://www.knightarmco.com/wp...2018/02/KAC-LAMG.pdf

It really seems like the undisputed king of belt-fed 5.56 machine guns. (seemingly) Beats the hell out of anything else out there in performance and weight. I always thought the SAW was kind of a turd. I am sure this LAMG is much pricier than an M249, which may preclude wide adoption. Why hasn't SOF and Rangers adopted these; maybe they have? Those units are relatively transparent though, so I think we'd know.

*This post does not make mention of things like the Ultimax and Surefire MGX because they are not belt-fed.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Oh hello, it is I.

Knights Armament.

In ancient times, I worked at a gun shop that sold some Mark 11 Mod 0 packages. I couldn't swing that, but I did have them order me an SR-15 M4. For crazy money back then for an AR.

You might still be able to find threads here where I talk about or try to sell that rifle. Why? Because it's too nice and rare to alter from original. I ended up SBRing it.

The people who drive Knights prices, want only the new hotness. People wanted to buy the lower only, but wouldn't take the whole rifle, for a reasonable price. Bonkers. That says "KMC" on it. Go ahead and find another.

A little bird told me that Reed Knight used to mow Stoner's lawn. Is that true? Maybe. Either way, Mr. Knight did work with Mr. Stoner. After that, Knights has maintained a dedication to quality and supplying military arms first, that bunches some panties.

Are KAC products worth it? Absolutely yes. Why hasn't it been adopted? Cost, and per unit output. Smith Enterprise had a similar reputation.

I don't know the LAMG from a fart in church, but it is a fair bet it is as awesome as it seems.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27028 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They probably cost $25,000.

Posts: 9982 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Aren't the British slowly starting to replace their L85's with an AR platform rifle from Knight's Armament? I thought they were starting with their special forces but looking to eventually replace all L85's?

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aren't the British slowly starting to replace their L85's with an AR platform rifle from Knight's Armament?
Yes.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...320062305#5320062305

quote:
They probably cost $25,000.
I hope not quite that much, but you could be right. Following contemporary silencers has educated me a bit about military contracts. I used to believe that the government got all this stuff for next-to-nothing, due to quantities ordered and the fact they're, well, the government. But things like KAC and Surefire silencers exposed me to the "rule" that a company can't sell anything to the public cheaper than it sells to the government. When it comes to silencers, it seems like the government over-pays.

That being said, the LAMG probably isn't a $25,000 machine gun, but that may very well be what KAC asks for them. In a world of stupid SCAR and NGSW programs, a $25,000, 9LB, high-performance, ultra reliable, modern 5.56mm belt fed that was available before the turn of the century doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

quote:
but it is a fair bet it is as awesome as it seems.
I think I agree.

I think they said the 7.62 gun is 14LBs. That's awesome. Over the past twenty years, they've tried to make the 240 lighter (240L at 21LBs) and scale the 249 up to 7.62 (MK48 at 18LBs). I believe both of those guns make some compromises, and neither of them is 14LBs.

According to the Wikipedia article (I know), the LAMG can even be used with the new .277 round.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some cool videos about KAC and Stoner. I think both series make mention of the LAMG.

Something I think is cool is the "old school" demo attitude. In that Q conversation with Trey Knight, which I shared in the recent NGSW thread, Trey fondly recalls the glory days of HK weapon demonstrations. I am vaguely familiar with what he's referring to, due to my interest and research in the HK21 machine gun. This article gives a good idea of the show HK used to put on:

https://smallarmsreview.com/the-hk21e-machine-gun/

Reed Knight's demonstration of one-handing the LAMG is reminiscent of the borderline ridiculous HK demos. Nowadays, it seems that everything surrounding weapon design and demonstration is saturated with pretention and ego stroking. It used to be "check this shit out" followed by a spectacular show with underlying meaningful highlights, like the HK21 belt pull immediately followed by a demonstration of single-shot accuracy.

posted Hide Post

At about 4:50, in this video, the narrator implies that the LAMG is being fielded by Army Rangers. They are considering it as a replacement for the M249. Good for them.