SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    More father-son fun with milsurp: Remington 03A3
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More father-son fun with milsurp: Remington 03A3 Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My point was that you seemed to be enamored with the Lee action, and therefore wanted a P14/M1917 "Enfield", but that isn't a Lee action nor is it the same "(Lee) Enfield" family as the SMLE...

I wouldn't bother with ordering a No. 4 from Royal Tiger, unless you're really desperate. They have a well-earned reputation for overpromising and underdelivering when it comes to the condition/quality of their surplus rifles.

Folks have been getting some really beat to shit guns from RTI.

Instead, keep an eye on the Gunboards classifieds or the bolt action classifieds on the CMP forum, where British rifles like No. 4s come up for sale regularly. That way, you know exactly what you're getting when you buy a specific rifle.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Copy that, I appreciate the heads up on RTI. I'll steer clear.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The M1917 is certainly a fantastic rifle. It's one of my favorite surplus bolt rifles overall. Yeah, it's a bit larger and heavier than most of its other contemporaries, but the action feels great and the sights are excellent. (The M1917's sights served as the basis for the traditional "USGI sight picture" used on the later M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14, M16, etc.)

I have both a P14 and a M1917.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
And this is why it's hard to resist the urge to keep spending money on obsolete bolt-action rifles Big Grin. So many options, so little expendable cash!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Rogue said the CMP has No.4’s for sale quite often. In fact I think there is one on the as we speak. Classic Arms and Simpson Ltd. are good places to look as well.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Like Rogue said the CMP has No.4’s for sale quite often. In fact I think there is one on the as we speak. Classic Arms and Simpson Ltd. are good places to look as well.

Yeah I've been watching Simpsons...I think that's going to end up costing me money!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Simpsons is great to deal with. You end up paying a premium over buying a rifle off various forum classifieds, but in exchange get excellent customer service, great photos, and a very honest and accurate description of condition.

Classic Firearms was bought out in 2010ish. The old Classic was great to deal with, back in the day. The current Classic under new ownership has earned a reputation for terrible customer service, and for being less than honest when it comes to condition of their surplus rifles (much like RTI).

posted Hide Post
One last thought on aperture sights for the No1 Enfield: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31217...d:g:Jz8AAOSwBj1fvGz9

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
One last thought on aperture sights for the No1 Enfield: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31217...d:g:Jz8AAOSwBj1fvGz9

That is actually pretty cool!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

That is actually pretty cool!

I was looking for that link when I first posted about target sights but could not find it right then.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post