SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Varmint rifle suggestion?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint rifle suggestion? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use a local fur buyer. If they aren’t trapped, the value depends on where you hit them and the damage done. The value for eastern coyotes isn’t great. Between selling tanned fur and selling some green, I’m happy if it covers supplies and ammo for the year.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
-- .243 80gr fodder in a 1:10 twist 24" M70V for intermediate ranges

I no longer recall the reasons why, but, from when I was researching what I wanted for a "reach out and touch someone" rifle (I ended-up going .308 Win), I was left with the impression that, if I ever wanted a varmint rifle, I'd probably want it chambered in .243 Win.

Based on what I'm reading here, though, I'd have to give the .22-250 Rem. a serious look.

(TBH: I've no real use for a varmint rifle, other than academic interest.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
-- .243 80gr fodder in a 1:10 twist 24" M70V for intermediate ranges

I no longer recall the reasons why, but, from when I was researching what I wanted for a "reach out and touch someone" rifle (I ended-up going .308 Win), I was left with the impression that, if I ever wanted a varmint rifle, I'd probably want it chambered in .243 Win.

Based on what I'm reading here, though, I'd have to give the .22-250 Rem. a serious look.

Lots of info on the web as well as opinions. Here I agree with most comments about the 243 vs 22-250:
https://www.longrangehunting.c...s-and-coyotes.55466/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Hopefully this drift will be okay as the OP has decided, but who buys coyote hides?

Almost any coat with a fur trim around the head is made with coyote.

https://fxposed.co.uk/Images/N...J-W-8351-GREEN/1.JPG

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TampaSIG:
I think I’m gonna go with a 22-250.

Things to consider with your 22-250....
If you go with factory rifles, the barrels almost always have slow twists -- say, in the 1:10 to 1:12 ballpark. This means that you will be limited to ammo with lighter bullets, generally 55 grains and under. Factory ammo tends to have lighter bullets, so this works.

If you build the rifle from components, a faster twist barrel can be ordered. This requires that you load your own ammo, if you want to capitalize on heavier bullets, with higher BCs.

22-250 doesn't produce much recoil -- just a little more than a 223. I find a report is definitely louder than a 223.

22-250 will erode the barrel's throat much faster than a 223. If you shoot the rifle frequently, and if you shoot extended strings of shots, be prepared for frequent barrel changes. Assuming you want match-grade accuracy, babying the barrel might get you to 2,000 rounds. Push the barrel harder, and 1500 rounds is probably common. Shoot it like you don't care and 1000 rounds could transform it to a tomato stake. Lots of variables, especially your demands on accuracy.

I feel a 223-chambered bolt action is likely a better choice. You can share ammo with your AR-15s, and you already have experience with the caliber's ballistics. 223 Remy is definitely adequate for coyotes, especially at no more than 300 yards.

My experience with a 223 bolt-action rifle:
223 bolt action accuracy

Picture of the rifle on the previous page of that thread, along with its initial targets. Towards the bottom of page 135.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Granted, I'm comparing a bull bbl Ruger to my AR, but I remember thinking the 22-250 had barely more recoil than my 22lr rifles.

Much, much louder though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just a few things. 1st off, fur prices are way down. I’d expect a FL coyote to be worth not much more than nil, the fur that is.

As a handloader, I can easily take a 22-250 well below 223 speeds, then up to full loads with a good bullet for deer. I’ve hunted in MS & GA, at least for me, 200lb+ ‘dressed’ deer were about never encountered.

I had a custom 22-250 made 10+ years ago. While the stats were being discussed we talked in depth about twist rates. Once it was understood I planned no more that 55 grain bullets for mostly prairie dogging, the well versed smith suggested sticking with the 1/14” common rifling. I thought if I felt the need for 70 grains, the 243 would do.

A last point is bullet selection, another way to match the gun to the application. Most any cartridge can be optimized with a quality bullet for the task at hand.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love these discussions and the knowledge on this board. Thanks again folks.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here I agree with most comments about the 243 vs 22-250:

Consensus opinion appears to be .243 Win FTW.

I've long felt that, if I got another rifle (I'm more a handgun guy & I don't hunt at all), it would likely be either .243 Win or 6.5mm Creedmoor.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Here I agree with most comments about the 243 vs 22-250:

Consensus opinion appears to be .243 Win FTW.

I've long felt that, if I got another rifle (I'm more a handgun guy & I don't hunt at all), it would likely be either .243 Win or 6.5mm Creedmoor.

My dad has a Savage Axis in 243. With a Timney replacement trigger (its a non Accutrigger Axis) it's a nice shooting rifle.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a lot of research during Thanksgiving down time. Bergara, Savage, and Browning all make a 22-250 with 1:9” Barrel. Bergara only one with threaded barrel, synthetic stock, other features I want. Any thoughts on the Bergara?

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts on the Bergara?

I haven't shot a Bergara, but I fondled one in a LGS maybe a year ago and talked to the guys at the shop. I assume you're talking about the HMR, which is what I saw.

The Bergara felt well built and solid. The LGS guys said that customers were happy with the gun so far. The HMR appears to be a lot a rifle for the money. I'd take it over a Savage or Browning.

The 1:9 twist barrel allows accurate loads with 69 SMK bullets, which will noticeably improve bullet flight at distance over 55 grain bullets.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Should you go down this path, I suggest 6 Creedmoor instead of .243 Winchester. Advantages of the 6CM over 243 Win:
- Better case shoulder design, being a steeper angle. IIRC 30 degrees vs. 20 degrees.
- Shorter case allows the use of heavier bullets. 6CM is just fine with 108 grain, where 243 generally is best with bullets of 95 grains or less.
- Slightly longer barrel life with the 6CM.
- Although case capacity is slightly smaller with the 6CM, muzzle velocity can be the same. It all depends on the load. IIRC, 6CM can be loaded to higher pressures than 243 Win.
- Many factory 243 Win barrels have slow-ish twists, and thus generally don't stabilize bullets over 100 grains well.
- 6CM still shoots lighter bullets well.

But there are more factory loads available in 243 Winchester.

From experience, 6CM has noticeably less recoil than 6.5CM. However, 6.5CM has a lot more barrel life. Both 6cm and 243 Win are hard on barrel throats.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Noted, fritz. Thanks for the education!

posted Hide Post
Looking at the B14. I believe that is the only rifle model they chamber in 22-250

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Nothing wrong with the 22-250, but my suggestion would be my favorite rifle, the 257 Weatherby. Good for everything from dogs to elk.

I agree with the 257 Weatherby magnum, Like shooting a laser beam.
Only problem is the cost.
I had my Weatherby MarkV out last week sighting in a new scope.I fired a box of 20 rounds. When I got home I decided to re-order some ammo to have on hand, prices hovered around $100 for a box of 20.Very expensive to shoot.Might have to get out the loading dies and try to re-load a few rounds.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Nothing wrong with the 22-250, but my suggestion would be my favorite rifle, the 257 Weatherby. Good for everything from dogs to elk.

I agree with the 257 Weatherby magnum, Like shooting a laser beam.
Only problem is the cost.
I had my Weatherby MarkV out last week sighting in a new scope.I fired a box of 20 rounds. When I got home I decided to re-order some ammo to have on hand, prices hovered around $100 for a box of 20.Very expensive to shoot.Might have to get out the loading dies and try to re-load a few rounds.

Yeah, the ammo is spendy. Used to run $60-70/box when I first started shooting it, so I suppose $100 nowadays is about to be expected.

I've saved all of my brass over the years and every once in awhile I'd pick up a box of bullets, planning on reloading "someday". I recently decided that "someday" had arrived and went looking for some good powder. I finally was able to score 8# of 7828SSC and spent way too much for it, but that is the nature of the beast in these times.

I've got all the components now so I'll probably get after it this winter.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at the B14. I believe that is the only rifle model they chamber in 22-250

Yes, the B14 is the series for 22-250 chamberings. Three models to choose from -- Ridge, Hunter, and HMR. I touched only the HMR.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
So, what’s the barrel life with the 257 Weatherby? Can you get through a box of ammo before you have to replace it? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Yes, the B14 is the series for 22-250 chamberings. Three models to choose from -- Ridge, Hunter, and HMR. I touched only the HMR.

Like Fritz, I have not been able to shoot my Bergara, but in handling a few and doing research they seemed like a great value for the money. I was never worried with Bergara barrels as they have always seemed to gain positive reviews, but the other parts of their rifles seem to be good quality as well. I bought the Wilderness Ridge in 308. Good deals to be had on gunbroker.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post