SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR rifles - have they ever been this cheap?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR rifles - have they ever been this cheap? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Example:

PSA has complete lowers, $130. Matching Carbine uppers, $220.

Or, buy a complete Carbine kit for $280, and supply your own lower.

There’s also a complete kit with a Vortex Strikefire II for $400.

Honestly I don’t remember prices being this low, ever.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
It's the fallout from the Trump election win. Everyone was hording and expecting the opposite, and now they have to at least break even on their overstock.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ I wish that were true, but barring the odd 5.56 all the cheap Armalites and LMTs I was hoping to see never materialized. The guy who owns PSA has stated before that he's on a mission to sell as many ARs as possible, and he apparently avoids having to charge to compensate for higher excise taxes by not selling complete rifles - that is, by selling parts kits or by selling uppers and lowers seperately.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do that? You can buy a complete gun made from Bushmaster, S+W, or ruger for just over $500. Yes, they have really come down in price and there is more competition now.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Why do what? Put one together?

Maybe that’s what some people want to do.

I noticed Colt stuff is still high. If one were to buy a Colt Carbine upper, BCG, and charging handle from Brownell’s, it’ll run you over $700.

My 6920LE with Magpul was $900-ish 4 years ago.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 6920 LE back in 2010 cost me $1100.00! Back then you considered yourself "lucky" just to snag one. But "will we be fooled again" with the upcoming 2020 election. Yes, many of us thought Clinton and the machine would win and stocked up in anticipation...surprise!!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would love the buy a $500ish FN AR but have not seen one, doh!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It's not Trump. If you ask you local gunshop, they move more stuff when a Democrat is in office.

Thank years of competition, and Obama actually. Obama sold more guns than anyone.

This trend began before both presidents though.

What has happened to ARs and their components, is the same reason you can buy a hell of a powerful desktop PC for not a lot of dough.

Lots of competition, manufacturing technology, and enough demand to support that competition.

No, ARs have never been this cheap, they can't get too much cheaper though.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Reminds me that I should pick up a couple lowers for some build plans.

Seeing how cheap they are now, when I've got something like $1,300 invested into mine.

May be the right time to start building that 300BO pistol I've been contemplating.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Times are good, stack guns, parts, mags, and ammo DEEP.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Reminds me that I should pick up a couple lowers for some build plans.

Seeing how cheap they are now, when I've got something like $1,300 invested into mine.

May be the right time to start building that 300BO pistol I've been contemplating.

I ordered an 8.5” 300 blackout upper last night....

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Quality still isn't cheap (though it may be a bit less expensive) ... what's gotten "really cheap" was cheap to begin with.

As gearhounds said, now is the time to stack deep, especially mags and ammo.

No matter what, when the tide turns the ones that will whine the loudest will be the people that shoot twice a year and the new shooters.

Until this last couple years I hadn't ever seen $35 lowers ... even back in the 70's they were $55-$65

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
We will look back on this as the golden era of AR's... both in terms of price but also in terms of quality and innovation.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I can remember when you could buy a Colt AR-15 A1 for $299.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
When was that?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
When was that?

My first one was around that price in early seventy,I had to drive up to ring gold ga to get it.Locals shops around atlanta did not deal with it.
Hell no one wanted one ,the craze was the mini 14.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we want to realistically look at the cost of items over time, the change in the dollar's buying power must be factored in. Thus the CPI comes into play.

Let's say we buy a $500 AR-15 today. Going back 10 years, the CPI is 1.18. Effectively, that's $423 in 2009 dollars.

The CPI comparison going back 40 years is 3.48. So that $500 cost today is like $143 in 1979 dollars.

Adjusted for the CPI, it would be challenging to find a time that AR-15s cost less than they do today.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I keep having this nagging feeling that I should buy at least 10 $500 S&W or similar AR's. In the AK world people still complain about missing out on the days of $250 ChiComs and WASR's.

I feel like in the future I'll look back and wish I had 10 decent AR's I could sell for a nice boost to the gun fund.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I keep having this nagging feeling that I should buy at least 10 $500 S&W or similar AR's. In the AK world people still complain about missing out on the days of $250 ChiComs and WASR's.

I feel like in the future I'll look back and wish I had 10 decent AR's I could sell for a nice boost to the gun fund.

Just remember to get at least 10 mags per rifle at minimum. Way more would be better. Add a handful of stripped lowers and full parts kits. There has never been a better time.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

It is a different situation than it was with the AK kits. Those were surplus, a big reason for their relative low cost.

Now is the time to stock up if you want a supply of good and inexpensive ARs.

We are not very far removed, in regard to time, and political climate, from the time when you simply could not buy a bolt carrier group because there were none to be had.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post