SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hannibal Rail for Mini 14 or recommend a forward rail?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hannibal Rail for Mini 14 or recommend a forward rail? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Anyone have experience with these? Due to my cross eye dominance I have to use a red dot for any rifles.

My Mini 14 has a small rail but it's directly above the ejection port. Getting the bolt out is a pain in the ass and I actually have to remove my Sig red dot to get the space needed.

Well removing and reinstalling the red dot for cleaning is not idea for keeping it sighted. Looking for a longer rail option.

The Hannibal Rail seems like a good but expensive option at $145.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ultimak rail and a forward mounted red dot on mine. Pretty much seems like the way to go.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also an Aimtech mount that I believe is out of production and also the Amega mount. The Aimtech is different than the others as it is raised up and you can see your iron sights and still use them even with a red dot mounted. You can google them to see them. I might have a spare Aimtech rail but won't be able to check until Thursday. But- it only fits the older Mini 14's not the new ones, so let us know which you have.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The Amega seems to have the longest section for attaching my red dot. The Hannibal is nice but has a section for micro red dot that won't work with my Romeo5. I don't think I want the red dot moved too far forward, just away from the action.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is yours a new or older Mini- serial number prefix?

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It's the new, SN starts with 583. Shipped in 2016

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
The Aimtech I have will not fit then, sorry-

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
No worries. Appreciate the thought. I’ll end up with one of the options posted.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
I run the ultimak. It has no material negatives in my use and works fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No experience with that specific rail, but I have an Ultimak on my Mini-14, and it's fantastic.

However, the Ultimak is strictly a rail. That's fine if you're planning to use something like an Aimpoint Micro or similar, like I do. Otherwise, this Samson one seems to offer the unique capability to directly mount a RMR or other micro dot to its integral mounting holes, if that's the type of optic you're planning to use.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I just need the rail. Using my Romeo 5 on it, and that's all.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
There is also an Aimtech mount that I believe is out of production and also the Amega mount. The Aimtech is different than the others as it is raised up and you can see your iron sights and still use them even with a red dot mounted. You can google them to see them. I might have a spare Aimtech rail but won't be able to check until Thursday. But- it only fits the older Mini 14's not the new ones, so let us know which you have.
i am interested in the aimpoint for my 185 mini 14 if you still have it.

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 21, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have pics of the Aimtech mount?
I am interested if you have one. My mini is 185 older model. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Give me a day or three to fish it out- I will post a pic and if my spare is still there it's yours-

posted Hide Post
Ok, Thankyou

posted Hide Post
70F2C70B-025E-4869-A88A-DE51DA947F1E by , on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2odvPC1]
62266DDF-B003-41A5-A421-8C83D503981A by , on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2odxdYW]
4B68C703-C42F-4C53-B6D4-68462EBA8E38 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/196839617@N06/], on Flickr

Here's what the rail looks like- as you can see it is hollow under the rail which allows you to use your iron sights by looking through the rail. It does put the sight kind of high so it takes some adjusting to use but I think it would work better with a standard stock than on the folder.

Chas- I am still looking for my spare rail- will email you when I find it

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dang, that Aimtech rail is super tall! Looks to be the same height or possibly even higher than the various tall receiver bridge rails that companies like GG&G offer for the Mini-14.

The primary benefit of the Ultimak rail, or the newer Samson rail, is that the optic is mounted at the same level as the sights, so there's no need to modify the stock with a riser, or adapt to using a chin weld, like you would with any of those tall rails. These scout-style rails are a compromise, allowing for normal cheek weld/sighting in exchange for putting the optic in a less optimal position farther out front.

Whereas if you're going to deal with a super tall rail mount for your optic, you might as well go with a receiver bridge rail and at least have the optic closer to your eye and the extra weight centered over the rifle's natural balance point:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest I bought and used that rail well over 20 years ago. My Mini was my duty rifle at that time and I used it with an Eotech mounted on it. Since it was for work I had to have the ability to switch to irons in an instant and that was the available mount that allowed that. The bridge style scope rails weren't compatible with the Eotech.

posted Hide Post
Ok, Thanks

posted Hide Post
Any luck?