SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Short M-14 on the firing line 3-15-24...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short M-14 on the firing line 3-15-24... Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

There has been quite a discussion on the M-14 Forum about short M-14's. I have two of them. A SAI "Tanker" and a custom LRB scout length named "Shorty".

Here's a pic of "Shorty" with my good friend Woody firing it. Interestingly, it's the same length as the SAI "Tanker" due to the shortened butt stock for my length of pull. Yet it sports a 17 3/4" barrel instead of the Tanker's 16" tube. Great guns to be sure!

Here's the Tanker:

The upshot is that these act much like Jeff Cooper's "Scout" rifle concept, but with more firepower and they are heavier. I agree.

Share your M-14's, please...

Semper Fi,

Wes

Posts: 2430 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Tnx for the photos.. brings back long forgotten memories but they were of a full size issue version.......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I agree with drill sgt. I qualified at Ft Dix with an M14 before the Mattel rifles hit the scene. Got my first "ballentine" too with it.

As an aside that term to describe three shots touching each other forming a pattern like the old Ballentine beer logo I haven't heard used by anyone in eons.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some eye protection on that shooter!

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in the Scout Squad FDE configuration and I love it:

https://www.springfield-armory...two-tone-desert-fde/

Kinda wanted to make my own Blackhawk Down tribute if you will. Put an Aimpoint Micro with a tan Tango Down cover over it and a coyote Specter Gear sling. The Scout Squad format the Colonel came up with really works for me, I have several rifles in that configuration...and I'm not even an old guy!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 974 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

Totally stock SA squad Scout, but reliable and accurate with a 2-7 Vortex scout rifle scope.

18 inch barrel with 20 round magazines is a hefty scout combination.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post

SA SOCOM 16 in a refinished birch USGI M-14 stock. It is a hammer with irons out to 300 yards.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 145 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post