SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Steyr SSG-69
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr SSG-69 Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Today being Boxing Day here in UK, we had our traditional BD guest day shoot. Pal Scott turned up with his new 'toy', a totally mint SSG-69 in black, with a nifty carbon mod on the end and a neat NSX scope on top.

My dream rifle for years, I somehow never got around to finding one for my self.

Although he shot it last week with some 167gr handloads with great results he was kind enough to let me try with my favourite 155gr Scenar load, with much the same results - two five-shot groups measuring just over half and inch each. Now the problem - magazines. Any places stateside with better than UK prices for me to look at for him? We are talking here in excess of $160 for a five-round version...... We are frequent visitors to USA - he has never been further than Scotland in his life.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steyr SSG-69

Does it have that nifty spoon-bolt?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Steyr SSG-69

Does it have that nifty spoon-bolt?

Sadly, that was deleted long ago on military arms. The Steyr SSG-69 was the very first production rifle made from the off as a sniping rifle - the expensive 'spoon' bolt handle, long a feature of Steyr's civilian rifles, was deemed an unnecessarily frippery earlier in this century, and replaced by a tapered knob affair. If I ever find one I'd like it to be the earlier shape you describe....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These people, https://brentforcesecurity.com...-magazine-308-5-rd/, claim to have them for about USD66 each. I’m happy to help you if this is legitimate.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I remember a write up from a print magazine in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s. Basically an Ode to the SSG-69 and that the author called it his "Simply Superb Gun - 69"

It was my first exposure to the rifle and it continues to hold my intrigue.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
These people, https://brentforcesecurity.com...-magazine-308-5-rd/, claim to have them for about USD66 each. I’m happy to help you if this is legitimate.

Many thanks, please contact them for me. I've just called Scott and left a message for him.

Best graders.

posted Hide Post
I did a bit of digging and I don’t think these people are legitimate. I could not find a single positive review. They only accept something called a Vanilla debit card or bitcoin for payment and they do not list a physical contact address. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
One of my long time desires, but one I was always afraid to fulfill for fear that after the initial excitement and novelty wore off, it would just sit. That's not as big of an issue that it once was, so maybe it's time to remedy this.

("I spent $600 on this gun and I never shoot it." Now I look back and think "I can't believe I sold that gun just to get $600!") Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
I did a bit of digging and I don’t think these people are legitimate. I could not find a single positive review. They only accept something called a Vanilla debit card or bitcoin for payment and they do not list a physical contact address. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Eek

Many thanks for the savition!!